I'm starting to get really aggravated with my LS

Check this

Your IAC valve on the throttle body could be starting to fail due to carbon buildup. Its a small silver solenoid device that regulates the idle. If it stops working you will get the same results as you did. It varies and is not sequential, it will work for a while then stop. And you will stop too! Take it off, only two easy bolts, clean it out real good with carb cleaner. See if this changes things, else just replace it. Mine went out at about 70K miles. Damn frustrating, engine would start then stop then run then stop.

Don't feed the troll.

When no one gives him the reaction he is looking for he will fade away.

trolls.gif

Don't bet on it!!

Your IAC valve on the throttle body could be starting to fail due to carbon buildup. Its a small silver solenoid device that regulates the idle. If it stops working you will get the same results as you did. It varies and is not sequential, it will work for a while then stop. And you will stop too! Take it off, only two easy bolts, clean it out real good with carb cleaner. See if this changes things, else just replace it. Mine went out at about 70K miles. Damn frustrating, engine would start then stop then run then stop.

The gen II LS does not have an IAC!

Joegr

I did not know that. What does the GEN II use in place of the IAC?

I believe the computer controls the throttle plate at idle. It just keeps the plate open a little to allow the proper amount of air through to idle.

Dont give up on your LS. I got really frustrated when mine went out with coils, then coills again 2 weeks later, then a week later the computer went. But when I got her back after the new PCM was installed and running great, I forgot about how irritated I was and it was all good. She'll make up for it once she runs good again.

I believe the computer controls the throttle plate at idle. It just keeps the plate open a little to allow the proper amount of air through to idle.

That's correct.

Dont give up on your LS. I got really frustrated when mine went out with coils, then coills again 2 weeks later, then a week later the computer went. But when I got her back after the new PCM was installed and running great, I forgot about how irritated I was and it was all good. She'll make up for it once she runs good again.

Good lord.

I have almost 100k on my 04... at 50k the dealer did some transmission work but that has been it.

Guess I have been lucky. I will find some wood and knock on it now.

The LS has been one of the most unpredictable and undependable vehicles i have owned to date. LOL. I love driving it though so its worth the hassle. Kinda like a high maintenance bitch

The LS has been one of the most unpredictable and undependable vehicles i have owned to date. LOL. I love driving it though so its worth the hassle. Kinda like a high maintenance bitch

I can agree on the unpredictable part. Mine surprises me every day with its little quirks, haha.

But, it has yet to leave me stranded. (knock on wood)

The car has never left me stranded though... I remember once driving back from Orlando with a transmission that wasn't really there. All sorts of noises and smoke but i made it back home :)

The car has never left me stranded though... I remember once driving back from Orlando with a transmission that wasn't really there. All sorts of noises and smoke but i made it back home :)

Yeah, mine started shifting funny so I took it in. A sh·tload of work later, and it shifted OK for another year... haha.

Is there anywhere on the fuel rails to hook up a fuel pressure gauge on gen 2?

for I one-time reading - there is a schrader valve (like a tire steam valve) about mid-way on the driver's side rail - usually covered with a blue screw off cap.

it premenant - then the only way I found was to cut and tap into the fuel line about 6" before the rail coupling.

...it premenant - then the only way I found was to cut and tap into the fuel line about 6" before the rail coupling.

The real-time fuel pressure is one of the bits of data going across the CAN bus. My scan tool can read it. I believe there are some gauges that connect to the CAN bus that could be set to display fuel pressure, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

The real-time fuel pressure is one of the bits of data going across the CAN bus. My scan tool can read it. I believe there are some gauges that connect to the CAN bus that could be set to display fuel pressure, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Correctomundo.

I have the Edge/MSD Dashhawk. It will read fuel pressure amongst other things.

wait a minute... You have an edge unit? I was told they aren't compatible with the ls... More info now please.

wait a minute... You have an edge unit? I was told they aren't compatible with the ls... More info now please.

As long as you are thinking of the Dashhawk. Its basically an Edge Evolution in a different case. I have a friend who works at Edge, so mine was actually in an Evolution case.

All it does it log and show you parameters, but it most certainly works on my LS.

For free, I can't complain. It sits nicely on my dash board.

I saw a pic of the interior of your car, and that's what I thought it was. But then I figured it couldn't be, and chalked it up to sat radio or something.

Looks like it only works with gen 2's.

I've read this whole thread and found it entertaining. A couple thoughts though as far as the whole running out of gas thing. Unless you run the tank dry and stall out there should be no damage to the pump because as long as the car is running...there is gas being pumped thus its being lubed/cooled and no reason for it to overheat or whatever. On the statement that the gas pick-up doesnt reach the bottom of the tank and therefore wont suck up a bunch of junk, i wouldnt put too much merit to that. The less gas there is the more polluted the existing gas will be from any junk in there, doesnt really have to pump it from the bare bottom of the tank. Another point, water and other crap will float on top of the gas so as the level gets low that sort of junk will get sucked in regardless of where the pick-up is located within the tank. Just a few thoughts.

Another point, water and other crap will float on top of the gas so as the level gets low that sort of junk will get sucked in regardless of where the pick-up is located within the tank. Just a few thoughts.

I'm 100% sure that gas floats on top of water as water weighs more per volume thus will go below the lighter weight gas.

I believe that you are right about that crap will get sucked in pretty much no matter what the fuel level is. Think about it, when you fill up your tank you stir up any crap that may be in your tank and it would easily be caught in your filter then.

Keep in mind that in-tank fuel pumps have screens on them to prevent larger particles from being pulled into the pump and damaging

I've read this whole thread and found it entertaining. A couple thoughts though as far as the whole running out of gas thing. Unless you run the tank dry and stall out there should be no damage to the pump because as long as the car is running...there is gas being pumped thus its being lubed/cooled and no reason for it to overheat or whatever.

When you run out of gas the pump still runs and heats up fast as you try to restart and does shorten the life of the pump that is why there is a warning in the owners manual.

"Avoid running out of fuel because this situation may have an adverse affect on powertrain components."

Members online

Back