I want to do a tune up...

LV146

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I want to do a tune up. I'm going to start with plugs, and coil packs. What else do I need to do/replace. Also which coil packs should I go with?.

Thanks in advance..

Clean the maf w/ maf cleaner
Seafoam it
Belt
Oil change/air/fuel filters
Fresh rear diff fluid change
Siphon out the ps res and fill with mec5. You'll have to do this multiple times between cycles. A turkey baster works well. Beats paying to have it done.

This stuff is super easy to do in your driveway and can result in a nice running car with little money. Add your plugs and cops and you'll have a very nice running mark.

Your wasting you money on coils. unless you have a problem with them, leave them.

I would do everything above but add:

Autolite 764 plugs gapped to .054
MSD\Ford Racing Wires
Trans flush\new filter
Add auxiliary trans cooler

So I want to do a tune up. I'm going to start with plugs, and coil packs. What else do I need to do/replace. Also which coil packs should I go with?.

Thanks in advance..

Wouldn't waste the money on coil packs. They rarely ever go bad unless you were talking about boots. Get you some Autolite 764 copper plugs for performance. Should be good on those for 20K.

Mobile 1 Fully Synthetic 5W30 I found is cheapest at Wal-Mart in the 5 quart jug and then buy one additional quart. I even got my filter there, (Motorcraft) and the plugs are there too. Parts stores are a bit higher on all this stuff.

CRC MAF air flow cleaner comes in a red can. I didn't look for that in Wal-Mart but I know AutoZone has it for sure. Get a new paper air filter also.

If you do seafoam it, make sure to do it before you change any of this stuff.

Your wasting you money on coils. unless you have a problem with them, leave them.

I would do everything above but add:

MSD\Ford Racing Wires
Trans flush\new filter
Add auxiliary trans cooler

Errr yeah, no need to replace the cops. That flew under my radar this morning. As said above boots are always a good idea.

P.S. Pretty sure he has a g2.

Oreilly has Mobil-1 on sale for $3.40 a quart

Not Fully Synthetic. Maybe Mobile 1 5000 is $3.40 per quart. They also called their self having the 5 quart jug on sale for close to $29.00 and then I found the same exact thing at Wal-Mart, not on sale for $23.00. $6.00 is $6.00 and with that $6.00 savings, the sixth quart I needed was pretty much free.

Don't get me wrong, I like that store but sometimes their sales really aren't what they appear to be.

grey can. ;)
its good stuff. and i believe my walmart carries it.

Did they change it or am I thinking of another CRC spray? Maybe electronics spray is in the red can. As long as it leaves no residue, that's what matters.

OP
Take off the screws on the back side of it too so that you can clean both sides of the wires and then put the little plate back on after a couple of minutes of drying. It dries instantly almost but I give them a minute or so and by the time it's all back together, it is for sure dried out.

Side note: Me and a buddy swapped out my strut rod bushings and then had it aligned today...huge improvment when I hit the brakes (it was ALL OVER THE PLACE when braking) :)
I had the trans flushed and a new filter done already. I also changed the fuel filter. And I put on new front rotors and calipers. Being winter I'm going to wait to do the trans cooler for now.
I have done alot of this kind of maintaince before but some of it is new to me.

So I don't need to do the coil packs... next weeks plan of attack:
MSD\Ford Racing Wires: Question: My car has coil packs, are there plug wires also?

Clean the maf w/ maf cleaner: Question: do I pull the MAF to clean it?.
Power steering fluid change

Thanks for all the advice, tips, and help everybody....John

From watching one of those automotive shows ... it was warned that Wal-Mart uses the rejected oil from companies. The stuff that they were not going to put out to the automotive stores. (How Wal-Mart get to lower their prices) So be careful ... this is just an FYI not a 100% fact ... I just try to avoid wal-mart for my car. Not worth the extra 1 to 2 $ you save.

Side note: Me and a buddy swapped out my strut rod bushings and then had it aligned today...huge improvment when I hit the brakes (it was ALL OVER THE PLACE when braking) :)
I had the trans flushed and a new filter done already. I also changed the fuel filter. And I put on new front rotors and calipers. Being winter I'm going to wait to do the trans cooler for now.
I have done alot of this kind of maintaince before but some of it is new to me.

So I don't need to do the coil packs... next weeks plan of attack:
MSD\Ford Racing Wires: Question: My car has coil packs, are there plug wires also?

Clean the maf w/ maf cleaner: Question: do I pull the MAF to clean it?.
Power steering fluid change

Thanks for all the advice, tips, and help everybody....John

You have a 97 so there aren't any wires. All you have is the coil pack on top of each plug. Each coil has a boot, it is a good idea to replace them if they're cracker or brittle or if you feel any slight misfires or getting a cel for them. If they're visually ok i'd just put some dielctric grease on the tips and throw in some new plugs. They're cheap though so it's always a good idea to replace them for peace of mind. If you want to change the plugs every 10-15k miles use the autolite 764's. Use plat's if you want 50k+ before changing them again.

Maf: It's located in the airbox. Disconnect the hose and connectors(2-3) from the air intake tube, use a flathead to loosen the clamps at the airbox and throttle body, remove 4 bolts holding the upper portion of the box to the lower portion(1 on each corner). Remove upper box(make sure the maf harness is disconnected), you'll see it now, use the maf cleaner and spray the wires inside of it, don't make contact with said wires as they're fragile. Let dry and reinstall.

check your belt take off turn inside out and look for cracks in belt and make sure belt pulleys are good take belt off and make sure pulleys spin freely and have no wobble in them also scrape off any crud build up off of pulleys with a razor blade and put a screwdriver tip in to the threads on the crank and altnator pullies to clean out any crud

From watching one of those automotive shows ... it was warned that Wal-Mart uses the rejected oil from companies. The stuff that they were not going to put out to the automotive stores. (How Wal-Mart get to lower their prices) So be careful ... this is just an FYI not a 100% fact ... I just try to avoid wal-mart for my car. Not worth the extra 1 to 2 $ you save.
Interesting.

whats the mileage? i would look to change the hoses too. :q:q:q:q starts to snow ball, when i changed my radiator because it was starting to leak, i figured i should change the water pump too while i was losing all the antifreeze, so with that i changed the hoses, the thermostat, and the idler and tensioner pulley.

Ok, I think got a lot accomplished this weeked.
Plugs and boots, oil change (Mobil 1), air filter, power steering fluid change, MAF cleaned (gray can), had the diff fluid changed, changed the vacume lines from the PVC valve (cracked), checked belts and hoses, washed and waxed, lexol'd the interior, and a new stereo and speakers put in.
Next up - find and fix the oil leak (not bad but a few drops everyday), new upper ball joint on pass side. Look for some seat skirts (mine are beat up, and pulled away from the seat.) Long term - save for paint, accuair air ride system. Love my Lincoln!!!!

whats the proceedure in changing the rear diff fliud? and what kind is best to use?

Ok, I think got a lot accomplished this weeked.
Plugs and boots, oil change (Mobil 1), air filter, power steering fluid change, MAF cleaned (gray can), had the diff fluid changed, changed the vacume lines from the PVC valve (cracked), checked belts and hoses, washed and waxed, lexol'd the interior, and a new stereo and speakers put in.
Next up - find and fix the oil leak (not bad but a few drops everyday), new upper ball joint on pass side. Look for some seat skirts (mine are beat up, and pulled away from the seat.) Long term - save for paint, accuair air ride system. Love my Lincoln!!!!

That's alot of work, great job! Hope she's running better.

I was tired last nite and forgot to say - Thanks to everyone for all the tips, advice and encouragement!!!!!!
She runs smoother, and I have peace of mind...
Markdtskitted - I took it to the alignment shop and had them change the diff fluid. I used a turkey baster to do the power steering fluid (Thanks sbcaprice305)

whats the proceedure in changing the rear diff fliud? and what kind is best to use?

you can suck out the fluid and just replace it, but its much better to pull off the diff cover and clean it more thoroughly. if its a stock diff, normal gear oil is fine. just a name brand 75-90. full synthetic if you want, but its not necessary.

MAF Cleaner & Throttle Body Cleaner:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTMaHdgKKYsjS0Q43StuKeLu259aRoQ8HXmj19mC1dIOqHOW_s9UKqFlJz-g.jpg

Other Good Cleaners:
web_Cleaning_supplies.jpg

Members online

Back