I painted the Mark 8 today

04SSHD

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I painted the lincoln yesterday, started prepping at 8 am and finished around 9 pm. Took it out today and started color sanding all the orange peel and runs out of it. Man painting is alot of work!!! I am exhausted, my back hurts from leaning over the car for two days, and I am still not done color sanding. Here are some pics of the process-

246012546_2573f305f6.png

started sanding the sun damaged clear coat and prepping the car.

246012562_70907df331.jpg

246012569_c1d9327fc5.jpg

246018725_570cab9266.jpg

perfect way to recycle junk mail!

246018741_26f50fa5af.jpg

246021762_348bbbc874.jpg

246021774_87a1666549.jpg

246021775_9aebf30015.jpg

Now the finished product, keep in mind that I still have alot of color sanding to do... But I don't think it came out half bad for my first paint job and with the space and materials I had.

246021778_444d33c54e.jpg

no more chunks of clear coat missing!!!

246025920_99749c3304.png

246025923_22a7606e17.png

246025924_2ba8649006.png

looks like glass!

246025929_d4afedc908.png

246030799_58b00b5edf.png

aired out and getting ready for a bath.

246030800_4b4ce45326.png

246030802_7b459031f4.jpg

nice, any close ups, if you put alot of clear on you can wet sand it til it looks perfect

MarkOfDeath said:
nice, any close ups, if you put alot of clear on you can wet sand it til it looks perfect

I will have to take some better pics when I get my good camera back. I have been wetsanding and waxing all day today and i only finished half the car. Man it is alot of work and I had no idea. The paint did not come out perfect so I will be working on it all week to try to take out any imperfections

wow that is great!!!

i would love to paint my front/rear bumper some day but that seems extremely hard!

what type of history in painting do you have?

Nitrobasher said:
wow that is great!!!

i would love to paint my front/rear bumper some day but that seems extremely hard!

what type of history in painting do you have?

I have no prior experience, this was my first time

wow, what kinda tools did you use and how much did this cost you all togethor??

Nitrobasher said:
wow, what kinda tools did you use and how much did this cost you all togethor??

Air compressor, hose, paint gun, paint, clear coat, reduced, hardener, spray gun cleaner, wet sand paper, masking tape, and alot of time and patients. Cost of all above was about $500

I have horrible clear coat as well. I've never painted anything but my cell phone case before, but think I'm going to give it a try on my Mark VIII. I've already got a big compressor so it's not like it would be that expensive, plus I can make the paint look worse than it already is.

If it comes out looking like that I will be ecstatic.

MediumD said:
I have horrible clear coat as well. I've never painted anything but my cell phone case before, but think I'm going to give it a try on my Mark VIII. I've already got a big compressor so it's not like it would be that expensive, plus I can make the paint look worse than it already is.

If it comes out looking like that I will be ecstatic.

go for it!!! I just asked alot of questions when I bought the paint. The guys at the paint supply store were more than happy to answer all of them.

Congratulations are in order, looks really good. There are paint shops here that I have seen much worse from, and its your first time. There is a learning curve to it, next time it'll be better yet. But that is also the hardest color in the world to make straight. Metallics are hard to not make tiger striped. Neither pre or post paint job work are easy for sure.

this is jd mikes dad. you should let the paint breath and set good before you wax it. like at least 6 months if you don,t have a hot booth to held cure the paint. the paint will need to release the vapors and harden up. wax will not let it do that as well. good to see someone trying to make what they have better and to learn. keep up the good work and take pride in what you have done. jd

94m5 said:
this is jd mikes dad. you should let the paint breath and set good before you wax it. like at least 6 months if you don,t have a hot booth to held cure the paint. the paint will need to release the vapors and harden up. wax will not let it do that as well. good to see someone trying to make what they have better and to learn. keep up the good work and take pride in what you have done. jd

thanks for the tip, so how do I buff out the scratches after color sanding?

Buff with a buffer and buffing compound with a wool pad, then buff with polishing compound and a foam pad. Ask the dudes at the paint store, they will help you get the right ones. Make sure you don't hold the buffer at too high of an angle when you buff, because that can lead to swirls.

WOW!!! Looks GR8!!!

Your sure did a good looking paint job for your first paint job.That's encouraging for me.I think I'l do it too. Thank's man.:D

Nice!
Black is hard to do because it shows ALL flaws. It is 1000% better than the flacking clearcoat issue. Prep work is the hard part, painting is fun and rewarding. You did great - better than some pros I have seen.

04SSHD said:
Now the finished product, keep in mind that I still have alot of color sanding to do... But I don't think it came out half bad for my first paint job and with the space and materials I had.

Wow! Great job. Did you paint it in your garage? I have a shop and thought about painting my truck. I was concerned about dust and sh!t flying around and landing on the paint. How did you prevent this?

Thanks,

Jim

DixieRambler said:
Wow! Great job. Did you paint it in your garage? I have a shop and thought about painting my truck. I was concerned about dust and sh!t flying around and landing on the paint. How did you prevent this?

Thanks,

Jim

Yes I painted in my garage, I preped the garage before I even preped the car. I swept the floor, hosed it down and cleaned it pretty good. Then before I started to spray the paint I pulled the car out and wet the floor again to keep the dust down.

Thanks for the compliments everyone, although I must admit, it looks alot better in the pics than it does in person but I am still working on the color sanding and I should have it all done by next weekend.

Members online

Back