How to tell a 96 LSC from a stock 96?

MsM8tress

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Subject says it all - do ya know all the differences between the two made the same year - or of a site that will list for me? I just bought one on ebay and will be picking it up in a week or so and want to make sure when I get it that it is what it was advertised as. I know about the HID's, and have heard about the exhust being true duel (uhhhh help me here what does that mean! 2 converters?) Put me to school boys -

Thanks
One Very Happy Expectant Mother

M92 VIN code for LSC
M91 VIN code for base

They have 3 cats, regardless of model, but the base uses a y-pipe.

evillally said:
M92 VIN code for LSC
M91 VIN code for base

They have 3 cats, regardless of model, but the base uses a y-pipe.

I think I just 5 minutes ago read some threads from another site, markviii.org, from you, that is too cool, the thread was about HID's on Mark VIII.org maybe a year ago.

Dealer is saying it is a LSC, it has the embelm, but you can buy those, the VIN has M91 - dang what should I do? The add for it is here, hope the url works:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4552013512

It has the correct perforated seats and it looks like hid's. If so, it's an LSC. It is not a Diamond however.

I think I just 5 minutes ago read some threads from another site, markviii.org, from you, that is too cool, the thread was about HID's on Mark VIII.org maybe a year ago.

Couldn't have been me; I've never posted there. They wouldn't even let me register...

These cars should win an award for the most confusing model lineage.

Perforated seats and HIDs are the most visible signs of being an LSC. The 'dual' exhaust differs from the base model in such that there are two pipes from the 3rd cat(a.k.a. resonator) to the mufflers - one each muffler. The base hase one pipe from the 3rd cat which goes to the rear and wyes out to the two mufflers. The M91 in the VIN is in conflict.

Very nice looking car however! :D

My 95 was listed a being an LSC but it wasn't. When you run a carfax they I found that they often say LSC for Non-LSC models.

To me it really doesn't matter. What matters is that it is a Lincoln Mark VIII! :Beer

Thanks Guys, I don't want to pay for something he aint, I think I paid kinda high, 5999.00 Also, if I am going to keep him, I want to preserve all of the orig. car and specific features to the model as possible.

Is there any where I can find out exactely what an LSC should have, I want to go armed with plenty of proof and maybe justification to drop a few bills off the price. The seller is very honest, and I donot think that he would not intentinally mis-rep the car, but for me the VIN number is all the proof I need. Yeah, I did notice the HID's, but I thought the seats were the same as my last Mark, but it was a 94. I am gong to see if I have any shots of my seats in the 94, curious now.

Thanks Guys, sure can't wait to get him!

The body side moldings are a dead giveaway at a distance. It is an LSC, but not a Diamond Anniversary. Somewhere along the line, every '96 was called a Diamond by the net sellers like ebay, etc. Pretty decent car it looks like. Your only reall complaint is the claim to be a Diamond which would be real nice, but not a deal breaker, imho.

the 91 vs 92 vin denotation didnt take effect until 97-98, so a 96 LSC will still be a 91 on the vin.

quick reference:
perforated leather
true dual exhaust
no body-side chrome, or in front and rear bumper, or on side of car
HID's(unless some moron removed them)
badging(obvious, though easy to fake)
axle code on door sticker(3.27's came standard on LSC's)

if you can only see a picture, look for the body chrome, or lack there-of. If you see an interior picture, look for perforated leather. if it doesnt have HID's, chances are, it isnt a LSC. But dont go by the vin...like i said, pre-97's ALL had a 91 designation, LSC or not.

As some people have already said, the car in your link is most likely an LSC, but not a Diamond Anniversary model. What BlackIce listed above is accurate for spotting LSCs, but I would like to add one more thing. Starting in 1995, on the VC sticker (in the door jamb) true LSC models have an interior color code that starts with the letter 'D'. Base models start with the letter 'Z' (if anyone has a variation on this theme, speak up please). Also LSCs have different embroidery on the front floormats (LSC instead of Mark VIII).

Sean

Hey guys ,
The EBay car has a 32v motor , I believe only found in the LSC , the base car has DOHC motor ..... Correct me if I am wrong... never seen a base model with a 32valve motor...

wrong...all Mark VIII's came with a 32-valve motor.

8 cylinders x 4 valves per cylinder(DOHC)= 32 valves.

My 95LSC did not come with "LSC" on the floor mats but it is a true LSC with the perforated leather, no chrome body moulding, dual exaust and 3.27 gearing.

I ment to say SOHC = 16 valve motor . in the base model , but I stand corrected , I didnt realize all Mark VIII had 32 valve motors guess I just assumed all the ones I have seen were LSCs....Do the base models say 32 valve motor on the rear ?

Topcat said:
I ment to say SOHC = 16 valve motor . in the base model , but I stand corrected , I didnt realize all Mark VIII had 32 valve motors guess I just assumed all the ones I have seen were LSCs....Do the base models say 32 valve motor on the rear ?

only certain years have that trim.

Look on the Vehicle Certification label for the axle code.

A7 = 3.07
34 = 3.27

Topcat, it wasnt until the 96 model year that the added bading "32 valve intech" was added to the trunk emblem.

The actualy specialty model designated "LSC" wasnt added to the line-up until mid-95.

Therefore, all 93, 94, and early 95's were ALL referred to as 'LSC' on the warranty card, and window stickers. But then Lincoln decided to introduce a "beefed up" model, with the performance edge in mind. This model they fittingly named the LSC, and all other "regular" Mark VIII's became known to the masses as "base" models.

Black Ice , I think the badging is what confused me , I thought the 32 valve motor came only on the cars that had the badging , and the others where 16 valve motors ....Thanks for the info .......

Staff online

Members online

Back