how much gear before a tuner??

ervin

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ive already searched and im not getting a definitive answer to a simple question, my 95 mark 8 base, i have a lsd and want to swap it in the rear axle, im going to spray this motor, so im looking to swap gear ratio as well, im leaning to a 3.73 or 4.10... since i have other mods to do, i need to know can i change the speedo gear in trans to compensate for gear change or do i need to get a tuner and proceed again as i do the upgrades ....:confused:

ive already searched and im not getting a definitive answer to a simple question, my 95 mark 8 base, i have a lsd and want to swap it in the rear axle, im going to spray this motor, so im looking to swap gear ratio as well, im leaning to a 3.73 or 4.10... since i have other mods to do, i need to know can i change the speedo gear in trans to compensate for gear change or do i need to get a tuner and proceed again as i do the upgrades ....:confused:

You really don't need a tuner. I have 4.30s and I'm untuned...I just cant go over ~95 for now...

Since 'spray' is a way to instant torque, you may find that a gear ratio change is un-necessary or even counterproductive. It's very common to have traction problems with the application of N2O. A ratio change would tend to exacerbate this condition. A limited-slip differential would certainly be of help, however.

KS

Since 'spray' is a way to instant torque, you may find that a gear ratio change is un-necessary or even counterproductive. It's very common to have traction problems with the application of N2O. A ratio change would tend to exacerbate this condition. A limited-slip differential would certainly be of help, however.

KS

I'm spraying a 75 with 4.30s. I also have slicks, however.

thanks, gears and lsd are for the everyday spirited driving, nos is for occasional exhibitions, from the factory these cars should have had the option of more gear and a base ratio of at least 3.55 with a lsd in my opinion, the extra gear wouldn't adversely affect mileage but would improve the driving factor quite a bit, just my opinion.....

Last edited:

found a cheap place for gears, real ford racing gears, 3.73, 4.10for 126.99 new, chech my thread on mark viii forum " cheap gears", oh and lean to 4.10's, and if you have base model 3.07 you have, it will affect your mileage unless you drive like an old lady. your rpm's will go up signifigently especially on the hwy. i have 3.27 in lsc going to 4.10 will raise 70 mph rpm's 500 rpm here's a good little toy to play with and help figure gears, and/or tire swappin'
http://vexer.com/automotive-tools/speed-rpm-calculator
and this one will let you compare side by side.....
http://www.wallaceracing.com/gear-speed.php
hope it helps. i just think the first one is fun to play with, and if you look close you can change dash display and color, then theres another page that calculates, with proper input of your vehicle weight etc., 1/4 mi times.have fun

Members online

No members online now.
Back