How Much Better is the Mark VIII than the LS

Calabrio

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
You tell me.

The Mark VIII was cutting edge in 1993.
It lead the way for everything that was good about Ford through the 90s.
It was the original platform for the DOHC 32 Valve 4.6 liter V8 that was only available in the Ford Mustang Cobra model.

It was $20k more than the Ford Thunderbird.... and the difference can be felt after having owned both vehilcles. Now granted, most old T-birds have been thrashed to death; but I had a new '96 T-bird and a USED '93 Mark VIII and there was STILL no equating the two- besides wheel base!

Of course, I could go out an buy an Lincoln MKZ... but frankly, I'd rather buy the Mazda SPEED SIX! Similiar platform, better suspension, and higher output engine...

...yes, I'm trying to provoke conversation. argument, and emotion on the board....

The Mark VIII was cutting edge in 1993.

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean for it's class / price range? I ask because i don't see anything special about my 93' Mark VIII that hadn't already been done.

Could you elaborate on this? Do you mean for it's class / price range? I ask because i don't see anything special about my 93' Mark VIII that hadn't already been done.

Clearly, you're not aware of what was available in 1993.
Or more precisely, in the early nineties when the Mark VIII was being developed.

In terms of a full size luxury coupe, with a DOHC 32 valve 4.6 liter V-8 engine, active air ride suspension, and the acutrements.... In 1993 a Ford Mustang was barely over 200 hp. The Mark VIII was 280hp.

At its debut, it was an incredible car. it's hard to relate to that now- unless you were among the teenage boys or men who passionately read Road & Track at the time.

What about the Mark VIII can you identify as "having done' before 1993?

Sure i am aware, but im thinking of things in different markets / classes hence i asked the questions. For example, (from the era) when i think technological luxury coupe, i think BMW 850 CSI. When i think of an advanced powerful DOHC V8, i think Corvette ZR-1.

I can't think of anything on my car that was new technology for '93. Its EEC IV, it had air suspension similar to the VII before it, it has ABS, traction control etc. which had already been around for some time.

Sure i am aware, but im thinking of things in different markets / classes hence i asked the questions. For example, when i think technological luxury coupe, i think BMW 850 CSI. When i think of an advanced powerful DOHC V8, i think Corvette ZR-1.

I can't think of anything on my car that was new technology for '93. Its EEC IV, it had air suspension similar to the VII before it, it has ABS, traction control etc. which had already been around for some time.

First off, you're comparing a high end European V-12 coupe to the Mark VIII.... that's an apples to oranges comparison.

The ZR-1 did precede the Mark VIII, but the was a high end, limited production, 2 door, 2 seater sports car.. not a luxury coupe.

The Eldorado is certainly comparable... but still inferior, in my biased, subjective opinion. If I'd thought they were the same, I'd own one or two of them... The NorthStar engine is nowhere near the equal to the Romeo Ford.....

If anyone disagrees, please explain why.... provided you aren't changing the coolant or a head gasket.

First off, you're comparing a high end European V-12 coupe to the Mark VIII.... that's an apples to oranges comparison.

Hence i asked you the class / price range question. Sure, as far as sub 40K early nineties domestics go, the Mark VIII was a good package.

I will give one example of a Mark VIII auto industry first: DC HIDs in, i think 1996.

mid 95!
the mid year 95 lsc's came with hid's but its very hard to find one these days. and being dc power was a huge mistake.

Late 95 was it? Dang wiki was right for once! Lol.

I like the fit / finish of the Eldorado interior, but don't like the square styling / FWD platform. Don't know much about their engines other than the head gasket / oil usage issues. Oh, and the V mounted starter motor.

What are our cheapo HIDs, Jamie? They AC?

I don't want to ruffle feathers but comparing the LS to the Mark is almost like comparing apples to oranges.

I think the Mark of course walks all over the LS as far as power but I really don't see it being as comforting as the LS. Mark owners are die hard fans and I'm sure will disagree but I just really don't see as much luxury in the Mark.

I also know of a few other cars that were cutting edge at that time.

I don't want to ruffle feathers but comparing the LS to the Mark is almost like comparing apples to oranges.

I think the Mark of course walks all over the LS as far as power but I really don't see it being as comforting as the LS. Mark owners are die hard fans and I'm sure will disagree but I just really don't see as much luxury in the Mark.

I also know of a few other cars that were cutting edge at that time.

Mark walks all over the LS in performance....how?

The Gen1 LS had less power but was lighter and geared much better with the 5speed auto. And the Gen2 LS had equal power and was still lighter and had the gearing advantage.

Handling and braking isn't goes to the LS hands down.

Mark not as confortable as the LS....have you ever sat in one or driving in one? The Mark is very confortable. My Gen1 LS seats suck for confort on a longer trip, Gen2s are much better but the Mark seats are very good.

But I agree very different cars, apples and oranges for sure.

I guess its personal opinions. I been in Marks and where they are comfortable I still don't get the feel I do in the LS and I really just don't see a LS competing up against a mark,... at least I don't picture mine.

Why it is better than the LS__2 Doors, better motor for mods, more reliable tranny, I own one, and so on

mark had the lowest profile headlights in the U.S.
the motor was not Nikasil lined like the ZR1

Well, since I can't possibly let this go by (isn't this site Lincoln VS Caddy)...

my '93 Allante - stock numbers

0 to 60 - 6.4, quarter 14.9/93mph, top 140 (although I had mine over that when it was still stock, but with the limiter removed - chipped) braking from 70 - 189 ft.

4.6 L Northstar DOHC V8, 295 hp (220 kW) at 5600 rpm, torque output 290 ft·lbf (393 N·m) at 4400 rpm. Unequal-length control arm rear suspension, road sensing suspension, an active damper management system.

And in 2 minutes I can run complete diagnostics from my radio controls - no external reader needed. Plus - the added fun of Battlestar Galatica gauges...

I am the 2nd owner - the first owner paid $48,000 - it was a program car from GM - it was used in the US Masters in 1993. But, I don't know who drove it.

Convertible too!!!!

yes martin all hid's are ac power except for the factory mark hid's thats why finding a bulb is not easy and also why sylvania stopped them, being the only car that uses them they cant justify the cost to keep making them.

Mark walks all over the LS in performance....how?

The Gen1 LS had less power but was lighter and geared much better with the 5speed auto. And the Gen2 LS had equal power and was still lighter and had the gearing advantage.

Handling and braking isn't goes to the LS hands down.

Mark not as confortable as the LS....have you ever sat in one or driving in one? The Mark is very confortable. My Gen1 LS seats suck for confort on a longer trip, Gen2s are much better but the Mark seats are very good.

But I agree very different cars, apples and oranges for sure.

+1000 for Jason

the mark out handles the ls all day....no wait it doesnt
the mark destroys the LS in the 1320..... ummm fractions of a second
not sure top end on a mark, but the LS will hit 160-170 (limited by wind drag)
I do prefer the ride of the Mark, so long as the way too expensive air ride is working
the 4.6L being easier to mod doesnt make it better. If that were the case then a paint by number would be far superior to the sisteen chapel
styling.... thats a matter of opinion. I do get more comments on the "sexiness" of the LS than I do the Mark.

honestly, owning both has been a true honor! I love that this discussion can even be had, but they arent even apples and oranges...more like apples and potatoes.

Either one in my book are good, the LS ,when it first came out, I thought looked like a BMW and I think that was Lincolns intentions to bring in European styling. The Mark would be more of a luxury car where the LS is more a touring sedan. I hope to own an LS because I do like the styling

+1000 for Jason

the mark out handles the ls all day....no wait it doesnt
the mark destroys the LS in the 1320..... ummm fractions of a second
not sure top end on a mark, but the LS will hit 160-170 (limited by wind drag)
I do prefer the ride of the Mark, so long as the way too expensive air ride is working
the 4.6L being easier to mod doesnt make it better. If that were the case then a paint by number would be far superior to the sisteen chapel
styling.... thats a matter of opinion. I do get more comments on the "sexiness" of the LS than I do the Mark.
honestly, owning both has been a true honor! I love that this discussion can even be had, but they arent even apples and oranges...more like apples and potatoes.

I get comments about it frequently. Yesterday while filling my tank, The guy on the other side of the pump came over and did a walk around of my LS to check it out! Granted, it's freshly waxed and FK425'ed,so it's extra shiny right now, but he made the comments on the lines of the car, not how shiny it was.

I like both cars. They both have their place. I don't think they compete against each other, though. They are different classes all together.

The Mark VIII looked like a fancy Ford thunderbird & the LS looked like a fancy Mitsubishi Diamante.

BTW I don't believe a Corvette is DOHC. Push rod motor, isn't it?

The Mark VIII looked like a fancy Ford thunderbird & the LS looked like a fancy Mitsubishi Diamante.

Here we go with the Mitsubishi Diamante comparison again. I dont see it.

Looked more like the 82 AMC Eagle.

82eagle2.jpg

C4 ZR-1 has the LT-5. (DOHC) But yes, they did go back to push rod engines.

Where are you getting that? The Mark VIII is lighter the Gen2 LS, depending on year; unless you are talking about the V6 LS's, which would be comparing apples and oranges.

Most all years of Mark VIII's and LS8's are so close in weight as to not really make much of a difference...

1996 Mark: 3767
1998 Mark: 3765

2005 LS8: 3772

They're both good cars for what they're intended to be and I want to pick up an LS someday to have along with the Mark.

They're both good cars for what they're intended to be and I want to pick up an LS someday to have along with the Mark.

i did it the other way around.... be advised it makes it hard to know what set of keys to grab in the morning

I love my mark for performance.

I drove my friends LS, by far a much more smoother ride, very quiet and very very refined. Woodgrain, etc. I love both

Members online

No members online now.
Back