How many people left their 1-2 lower spring out?

OchoMarko

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, just did a J mod on my car and it shifts much quicker and smoother but just not as firm as I thought it would be. So, I'm wondering how many of you have left the lower 1-2 spring out. Seems half the people say its way too harsh and the other half says its perfect. The 98 J mod instruction video the guy left out the lower spring and suggested it. Just trying to get a concrete answer on how "harsh" the shift is with the lower spring left out. I really liked the 1-2 shift on my first 95 Mark Viii's Bauman shift kit and I'm pretty sure I left the lower spring in. It was really nice and firm.

I just did my Jmod yesterday. I removed the 1-2 spring. It shifts a ton better, but I wouldn't mind it being a lil firmer. It doesn't bark into 2nd, but It shifts with authority now. it seems to shift firmer on 3/4 pulls than WOT.

jmod'd trans, 1-2 spring not removed, Blue Oval Chips tune.

i can't full throttle 1-2 in a corner or the back end will step out. part throttle 1-2 shifts spin on wet pavement. i get a 15 mph spike when the trans shifts at full throttle...

:lol: leave the spring in, and go get a tune.

I agree with Chris. Mine is the same way with all of the springs left in, but I bought f-150 springs instead. The chip bumped up the line pressure a little bit, on top of the j-mod. My car behaves like Chris' though, actually wish it shifted a tad earlier, so it wasn't so harsh at part throttle.

Awesome, those are some great suggestions, never even thought of getting a tune. Thanks!

Chris and Dan have gears too so... keep that one in mind but most that left the spring out and said it was too harsh are the ones that are married and have women bitching about their neck jerking from every stop sign and red light. If you want it firmer, take it out. It can always go back in if you don't like it. I left mine out on the 94 when I installed the 98 trans I J-Modded and I loved it but everyone has their own preference.

My wife actually liked how my Bauman shift kitted Mark Viii shifted, so until I can save up some money for a tune, I will go in and remove the lower spring. I need to install the drain plug anyways so might as well do it while the pan is off. Thanks for the input, thats the kind of answer I was looking for.

Terry, when are you going to get around to installing that separator plate?

My car is bone stock so far. Jmod was my 1st mod with many more to come. I was hoping it would shift a little harder. Honestly it shifts like I think it should have, from the factory. When accelerating normal it shifts quick but with almost no snap. It doesn't upset my wife at all. :rolleyes:

I have a dirty dog plate in my trans with the 1-2 spring out. I will sometimes i wish i would of let the spring in. other times im glad i didnt. you can really tell the trans has been modified the way it slams the gears and barks the tires. i chirp 1-2 and 2-3. of course im tuned with a 4.10 in the back also

Members online

Back