How hard to change steering rack?

sprocket

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
It's been awhile! I haven't posted in quite awhile.

So I think my steering rack might being going on on my '96. I suppose it could be the pump. It's not leaking but the steering is getting harder and I hear some groaning the colder it gets. So I have a few questions:

1) Is it likely the rack or the pump?

2) If it is the rack, how hard is it to change? I suppose I could just look; it's probably pretty obvious.

3) Is one rack as good as another? There's rebuilts for under $100.

Fortunately I haven't driven it much since doing tie rods and control arms and it isn't aligned yet other than my driveway alignment. So I'm not paying twice for an alignment. Could my failure to get an alignment and then driving it AT ALL have caused the rack to fail?

Have you tried flushing the system out? You can usually isolate the groaning noise to tell if it is the pump or the rack. Usually though if the pump is going out it will be a constant groaning as soon as you even attempt to turn the wheel. Sound more like you have a bad steering component like a ball joint that is tight or dry. Have someone listen closely to see if they can isolate the groaning. And you driving it after replacing the tierods and control arm work really would have little to do with a pump or rack failure.

i hate changing racks on these cars. i was much, much faster the second time, but still.

my 93 has a reman rack in it. its doing just fine so far.

try changing the fluid to mercon v. its helped some people.

I hated the rack too. It was all ok until it came to the steering joint and trying to get my hands up in there to get it connected again. It's not fun but I done my old 94 with a 93 rack in my driveway and a hydraulic jack. If I can do it, anyone can. I doubt your driveway alignment ruined the one you have though.

I can't really foresee a redneck alignment being so terrible as to destroy a steering rack. From what I've seen under the car it unbolts and falls right off which is a whole lot better than a lot of cars I've seen where it's nestled inside and behind various car body frames.

OK, thanks for the replies. I'll try to isolate the source of the groan and probably change the fluid. I think the alignment is fairly close. It drives straight down the road with the steering wheel centered and when I replaced the cam adjusters I centered them in a neutral position and visually the cam adjustment looks close. I did the toe with a string between jack stands with the string the same distance from the center of the center cap front and back. I made a few minor adjustments after it pulled slightly one way or the other.

I've either done or helped with a few front wheel drive racks. The last one was brutal. I did one on an Aurora that I picked up for $600 because it had a bad rack. That one wasn't too bad. I absolutely loved that car after doing a few minor repairs. I had it four months and the tranny went out. That sucked so bad. It took me totally by surprise. It shifted perfect prior to that and the fluid was clean and smelled fine (up until then). It had to be my biggest car disappointment ever. I ended up junking it. I just couldn't take on a tranny swap on that car.

I can't really foresee a redneck alignment being so terrible as to destroy a steering rack. From what I've seen under the car it unbolts and falls right off which is a whole lot better than a lot of cars I've seen where it's nestled inside and behind various car body frames.

its the hydraulic hoses on top that make this difficult.

i'm in the same boat mine started moaning/screeching in the last week. from what i can tell its coming from pass side. it sounds like dry metal rubbing. about a year ago i got in a wreck, got plowed right in my drivers wheel by a cobalt ss that was cruising 35-40. his car smashed like pop can, mine only suffered a crushed fender, broken tie rod, and l.c.a had a 90 degree bend in it. about 6months ago my front end started getting scary so i replaced every thing with a ball joint or bushing using used parts with good joints and bushings. that helped for about a week and then and it started feelin loose again. with the front wheels off the ground i pushing/pulling the wheels they have about 4 inches of play in the rack. so its scary to drive especially when its wet outside. i'm hoping she lasts until tax time when i can buy all new everything in the front end. might even swap out the pump while im at it. so im tuned in to see how you fix the nasty noises it makes

i hate changing racks on these cars. i was much, much faster the second time, but still.

my 93 has a reman rack in it. its doing just fine so far.

try changing the fluid to mercon v. its helped some people.

maybe thats why i noticed my ps fluid has a red tint

Obviously a hoist makes it easier, but it's doable on a set of jackstands. Crowsfoot flarenut wrenches will be a HUGE help here too.

Buy a couple extra Teflon Orings for the hydraulics cause you're more than likely to split one when expanding it over the fitting.

Mike

Members online

Back