Hood Popped While Driving

Brad

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So my fiance and I were getting home at the same time and I was following her. Of course I had to pass her and as I was my hood popped open. Scared the sh!t out of me. Has anyone ever had this happen before? I had been driving for an hour before this happened.

It popped open or the whole thing came up

not to me but ive seen another car lose the hood completely.

it flew off on the highway and flew past me and landed several hundred feet back.

On the highway if I am in an awkward space in the draft of a large truck, my hood will flex a little. However, I figure this is due to my aftermarket hood. It is possible you popped your hood, and it just wasn't "pulled up" enough to make it apparent, then the pass resulted in a change in draft which lifted the hood enough to reveal it is popped.

This has happened to me before, and it happened right after I had finished cleaning the engine bay, and I was lubing up the various components.

Happened to me the very first full day I had the car, Driving down I95 big truck passes me and the danm hood opens up and scares the crap out of me!

Yeah, it has happened to me a few times when i dont close it down hard enough

The last time I popped the hood was a week ago, I've drove it every day and nobody has touched the car but me since then so I don't think it had been popped and that I hadn't noticed it. I was already back in my lane when it happened and well past her. The only thing I can think of is that I was going double the limit plus some. That is not a comforting thought to think the hood could pop open going that fast....

The last time I popped the hood was a week ago, I've drove it every day and nobody has touched the car but me since then so I don't think it had been popped and that I hadn't noticed it. I was already back in my lane when it happened and well past her. The only thing I can think of is that I was going double the limit plus some. That is not a comforting thought to think the hood could pop open going that fast....

You probably just hit the hood latch or something man. It dosent happen on a regular basis i wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure you close the hood all the way and in theory you should be good.

try pulling up on it after you close it to be sure the latch is good.

Had the hood on my crown vic flop onto the roof at 40. They come up quick! The little spot welds on the steel part the latch engages broke off. Probably from being so fast...

Ifthe hood opens completely on the highway, you can still see at the base of the windshield. Just an FYI.

Ifthe hood opens completely on the highway, you can still see at the base of the windshield. Just an FYI.

Pete have you been practicing that while sitting in your car making "vroom, vroom" sounds? :D

ok so there's two points to clarify:

1. hood pops and stays locked down by the safety?

2. pops wide up... if you're moving, it's gotta rip off; no?

Hahaha Im hesitant to ask the story on how you know that...

College beater car. Hood latch was broken. Car full of us at 65mph when it happened. Scared the isht out of everyone, but we all had a good chuckle afterwards. The hood smashed the top of the windshield pretty good. It was a mid 90's stratus. Don't remember the exact year. But the latch was broken from hitting a deer a few months prior.

Pete have you been practicing that while sitting in your car making "vroom, vroom" sounds? :D

Lol. FINALLY got the car back on Friday afternoon. Now I need to buy the interior door handle (front driver's) since the mechanic broke the current one. It was already failing, so I'm not gonna try to put it on them. Hopefully after that I can install the angel eyes.

I had an MG Midget years ago. This car was a hoot to play with being go cart sized going 50mph felt like doing 75 with anything regular size. I'm kinda tall so I could only get in or out with the top down.
Anyway I got done playing under the hood tweaking the timing/ valves and tuning the carbs, if anyone has worked on these knows, it's an ordeal that goes on there. Dropped the hood, (no safety catches in those days) fired her up and headed down the street. I made a right onto a main road that had a nice long straight run and opened her up!
I got about 50 yards about 35 mph and the hood folded back over the windshield! Talk about sh!!tin' razorblades! I couldn't see a thing in front of me, held the steering wheel straight and stomped the brakes to a skreeching halt.
Got out and checked my shorts. A Woman who was coming the opposite way saw it happen, stopped and wanted me written up! I just put the hood back down and limped her back home.

Members online

No members online now.
Back