Help please!

lunchmeat

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I drove to St Louis and back today(1hr 30min one way) after about a hour all my interior lights and radio shut off then turn back on and I hear a loud clunk noise and it says check traction control. Turn off car and everything is ok. On my way back it dose the same thing except it keeps doing it over and over and this time it rev my car up a few thousand rpms and make the car wanna go faster. Im in cruise control the whole time. Any ideas???:confused:

sounds like your battery and or alternator are dying regardless if you've recently replaced them (heads off the I replaced then last...blahblahblah reply)

If you are getting 12.6 volts or better resting and cold at the battery posts and the rear post on the alternator, and close to 14.0 volts at those places when running, I would check grounds or battery connection-no check engine light or codes? Who tested the battery and alternator, was it a $7.15 and hour AutoZone person-not that I'd wonder about them:eek: , but ya know...

Yes it was some guy at autozone who tested it. No check engine lights. I was going to take it to the Ford dealer have them put their computer on it.

did you get a digital meter (you can get one for less than $15 almost anywhere)? the dealer will RAPE you to 'diagnose' what should be fairly easy to find-and, I still think you need to check BASIC connections. Remove the terminals,clean them up with a wire brush including the insides of the lugs, and make certain they are on tight. Check your grounds, very important, then use the meter to check battery voltage at rest and running, both at the battery and on the post on the back of the alternator. T.

The dealer wants $89 to diagnose it(RAPE) I know my Neg battery cables connector wont tighten all the way( I feel stupid for not fixing it first) I'm guessing I can get one for cheap at autozone. Ill do that tomorrow and quit being lazy.

I just went through this. Replaced the battery, car did the same crap a week later. Replaced the battery again. Same thing, alternator was tested and said ran fine. Car finally took a crap. It was the alternator in the end.

How hard is it to change one? I can do the basic stuff but nothing advance.

Simple, take the belt off unhook the wiring, remove a couple bolts and install new one. I had to drive to Ohio to change mine when my brother had my car, it was a 2 hour drive and took me 10 minuets to change. If my car wasnt broke down in the Hood i wouldnt have bothered to drive up there.

I can get a new Alt with 3yr warranty for $99 from NAPA. My buddy has the hook up there.

Members online

Back