help please, really fustrated..

OK i will write out the steps of what i did and whats happened in one note here in hopes to make it clear where im at with this nightmare and try to make it more clear for more accurate opions. and suggestions for next step as i know some info can be missed as thread goes on....thanks in advance, specially joegr, rigs
i got car 5 weeks ago 92 k dealer maintained, taken care of all in tack..
over the 4 weeks i put about 1200 miles on including a 600 mi trip...
the ONLY issue i notice is a random slight bog in throttle response and minimal power loss.
the nitemare,
i put a set of denso inderium plugs set to 39.000
drove car 500 feet and it felt like it was running on 6cyl...
parked it and and got 8 fomco coils in sealed bags from rock auto..
WOW...the car is fixed......
drove 6 to 10 miles, the car starts to run like crap trowing codes as mentioned in eariler posts, checked all the obivous swapped many plugs and coils old n new. codes trowen where mostly miss 5&6 and high volume air p0130 (sorry i dont have code info on hand)so i got it down to miss on #5 in all my fustration and swapping i threw another plug n coil on #5 and it test ran great for about a 1/4 mile than threw the p0130 if i remember correctly..
i pull maf tested..
than reset battery to drain..
several test and it wont throw codes now and still runs like crap..
i hope this shines a better light on whats going on for a better understanding of where im at in my quest for more information...i love this car and its my driver now, its driving me nuts.
thanks again

starting to use forscan today still no mill but got these codes;
po113 p0351 p0352 p2106 pcm than obd2 0102p 0113p 0351..new to this system working on extended lic. key misfires and kinda pointing to pcm. switched more coils n plugs but still same.. anyone care to chime in on this please..

I'm not sure where you are getting your OBD II meanings from, but they don't seem too precise or accurate. P2106 is not "PCM." It's just a code that says ETC went into limited power failsafe. In its self, it does not indicate any fault with anything. It is saying that as a result of another problem/code, it went into ETC as a safety precaution.

Here's a good site for DTC meanings.
OBD II Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Definitions

thanks joe,
after careful study and more attemps im now getting p0305 p0306 p0300 p0316 misfire on cyl 5 n 6..with many swaps on older coils n plugs it seems to run about the same it was just # 5 when it was running ruf this morn and plug was foul ,changed an ran alil better than 5n6 started..im still changing 5n6 around to see what happens..any thoughts on what i can check next b4 i have to bring to somebody with good scan..

so if i can rule out coils n plugs at this point and i dont get anyother codes on forscan would i be looking at injector issues?...any thought...

so if i can rule out coils n plugs at this point and i dont get anyother codes on forscan would i be looking at injector issues?...any thought...

Injector, harness, PCM, compression, intake leak, crankshaft sensor, ...

Data log fuel injector and coil on 5 comparable to others.

It has got to be in the wiring harness is my guess. <shrugs>

thanks again joe,
its the harness, by 5n8 it all looks good the 5 clip is a little sloppy , i discovered it when i went back out after last post.. i drove about 2 miles no issues with the harness propped in different position,, thanks for bearining with me..i will look close for solution now

cop wiring harness question.. is it a clean shot (one wire) from cop to pcm. i havent cut back all blk coatings from cop wires yet (no obivious damage noticed) i also noticed a plastic junction box on the back head drivers side with cop wires coming out.. i have cop covers off and wires in position away from motor and put about 100miles on car since ordeal that started.. so what ive noticed is there is a slight interferance here and there just like it was b4 i started changing plugs n coils around..
also wondering if cop clip connections go bad more often from pressing down on clips n pulling wires to remove..( stopped doing that) did try moving harness around when running and it will put light on and misfire 5&6...thanks for all ur support once again..

Pulling by those wires that likely have become brittle, along with the plastic holding the pins, yes you certainly could have damaged them. Especially if you did it more than once. If you have a volt meter, you should remove the coil from the cylinder, but plug it in to the harness. Check resistance across the connector by carefully sticking the probes into the backside of each connector. If they don't fit, you could probe through the insulation, but you'll need to electrical tape over the holes you poke into the insulation. This might be the better way anyway since the pins may be connecting fine, but the wires have broken loose.

thanks 02
yes i did do it a couple of times knowing its probably not a good idea, so b4 i took off this morning i pulled 5&6 clips to inspect and all looked fine.. i took a metal pick and gingerly pried the contact to coil posts for a tighter fit and did a 30 mile run with no intermittion issues for the first time.. it would have acted up here and there so i think the actual clip contacts to coil were sloppy causing this to begin with. I hope i can move on to some mods now..

Bet ya 10$ inside the connector it's holding on by a strand or two. Of course the possibility of further upstream on the harness shouldn't be ruled out either.

Rodents do like to chew on automotive wiring but something like such should easily be noticeable.

yea rigs everything looks good on harness. how do u seperate the plug anyway does the red clip pull out or something

Yup but very fn gently. As its been exposed to underhood heat cycling for the duration as its old, them clips become brittle similar as the plastic cooling system and other plastics.

I forget if it was straight up or backwards out, sorry ... but yeah the red clip is the anker keeping the leads n pin from sliding out. IIRC

Joe, is the coil wiring a single strand or is it multiple twisted ? I wasn't too sure, never had to separate them myself to date.

Joe, is the coil wiring a single strand or is it multiple twisted ? I wasn't too sure, never had to separate them myself to date.

I am not sure I am correctly understanding the question... The wires are stranded, not solid. Solid would be difficult to work with and would likely break after vibrating for a while.

10 4
I thought so, just questioned myself after posting the above about hanging on by a couple strands.

Never cut into coil wiring myself.

LINKAGE, what about sourcing a used passenger side harness from a salvage yard? Instead of dicking around with that possible faulty one, swap it out and see what that yields.

LINKAGE, what about sourcing a used passenger side harness from a salvage yard? Instead of dicking around with that possible faulty one, swap it out and see what that yields.

I agree with this idea, but with the warning that there's a good chance the latches on the connectors will be broken.

Because them folks working at salvage yards wouldn't take gentle care during the removal process. + also old.

U pull it yards might be better option.

well more great info guys.. rigs as far as junk yards around here, they dont even let u into them any more for insurance regulations and i dont see many ls cars around but i keep checking craigs for parts or whole deals... i thought about robbing my white ls but due to all the fomco coils n plugs i have now im almost ready to tackle that. i do think at this point it needs T.B. also as it wouldnt get out of failsafe and was trowing T.B. codes till i had no throttle what so ever trying to get it to run rite with crappy coils...and joe thanks for the link, im assuming u can solder in those pig tails then.. so my trip back late tonite the car did get a little muddy but not as much as yesterday like i said this morning i pulled them off and pryed the contacts, so i believe i need to get the pig tails and take it from there.. i will also try to see if i can pull the old ones apart and solder if necessary first.. enjoy the rest of ur nite fellas......

10 4
Far as "muddy" be sure it's got a clean new fresh fuel filter and intake air breather element. (Air Filter)

Fuel, air, spark.

Members online

No members online now.
Back