Help Needed Diagnosing ABS & Traction Control Error

3BadBirds

LVC Member
Reaction score
I had to do some traveling for work and ended up leaving my perfectly running LSC under a cover in my driveway for a few months. When I returned and went for my first drive I was greeted with an ABS light and Check Traction Control warning message. I could hear and feel the ABS pump working. I checked all the lines and everything seems intact. The weather has been very humid and rainy - do you think I may be dealing with some corrosion and need to clean the sensors? If so, can I just remove the wheel and test the leads of the sensor with my multimeter to find the culprit? I’m assuming its one of the front wheels since my speedo is still working. Thanks for the help! I’m a bit paranoid because I know these sensors are hard to replace.

Any codes?
Hopefully just a bas sensor and it's a 97
Nope, two strikes.... 1) no codes 2) its a 98... =(

I'm hoping I can just pull the fuse to disable the abs until I figure it out. The testing it does every time I start out is very annoying until it gives up.

...1) no codes...
The light is on, there are definitely codes. The tool(s) you are using to read them are not able, but they are there. I don't know if 98 has OBDII or if it does if it has the ABS on that bus. Prior to OBDII, there was a connector under the hood that you could jumper and then the ABS light would flash out the codes.

The light is on, there are definitely codes. The tool(s) you are using to read them are not able, but they are there. I don't know if 98 has OBDII or if it does if it has the ABS on that bus. Prior to OBDII, there was a connector under the hood that you could jumper and then the ABS light would flash out the codes.
I thought it was strange that it didn't throw a code but figured maybe because the ODB light gets reset (and retested) each time you start the car had something to do with it. I'll do my homework and see what I can find. Thx!

My Innova code scanner requires a separate menu selection to read ABS DTCs.

Found out there was an issue with my code reader. Borrowed another one and got C1233 & C1236 - left front and left rear sensor issue. Oh joy, a double!

Thx to all for their help!

I had to do some traveling for work and ended up leaving my perfectly running LSC under a cover in my driveway for a few months. When I returned and went for my first drive I was greeted with an ABS light and Check Traction Control warning message. I could hear and feel the ABS pump working. I checked all the lines and everything seems intact. The weather has been very humid and rainy - do you think I may be dealing with some corrosion and need to clean the sensors? If so, can I just remove the wheel and test the leads of the sensor with my multimeter to find the culprit? I’m assuming its one of the front wheels since my speedo is still working. Thanks for the help! I’m a bit paranoid because I know these sensors are hard to replace.
This past week Ihad a very similar, almost identical problem along with low power warning from engine. All this after having the front wheel re-balanced (a weight was thrown). Problem solved after disconnecting battery for a few minutes and reconnecting. Seems that when car is frame lifted so the wheels are easily accessed, there is a vehicle weight sensor that activates when it shouldn't and sets these false codes.

Members online

No members online now.
Back