headers or converter next?

wellby

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have searched the posts here as well as other lincoln sites and I still can't figure out what mod would be best next. a higher stall converter or the kooks 3/4 length headers. Currently the car 94 mark viii with 84,000 miles has the following mods: Mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust, 80mm maf and filter, 4:10 with trac loc, 4"driveshaft, Supercoupe performance chip, 225lph fuel pump, JMOD and a good state of tune. The car is my daily drive but my commute is were short. I have been leaning towards the converter but what do you guys think? and if the converter what stall? I'm thinking 3,800 rpm stall.

Personally, with what you have I would do both. The converter would work well with the 4.10's, and the headers would definately give more power, if you are still using the factory manifolds. Other wise you could save some money and buy a pair of 99/01 cobra or 03/04 cobra/mach 1 manifolds and be done with it. All depends upon what your power level intentions are.

I would like to do both but lack of money at this moment is only allowing me to do one. From what I have read converters give a bigger seat of the pants gain.

Do converter. I ordered my headers 14 weeks ago and I'm STILL waiting for them!

Merc makes a good point. Headers can take forever to arrive. Cobramark in Laurens SC had a pair of kooks headers he would sell you cheap. He still had them about 3 weeks ago. Other than that, go with a converter

^ Listen to the man. his 1\4 mi time doesnt lie.

The converter will give better ET results than headers alone.

Now headers will give you better ETs as well, especially so when the intake is improved. ;)

What about for a street car that spends 3-4 times a year at the track? What will give stock like behavior at normal acceleration but go into the power band at WOT?

Converter!

I wouldn't go below a 3800 rpm stall... go big or go home!

Also Circle D converter FTMFW!!!

IMO. go 3500-3800. Im happy with my 3200 but I feel now as if I should have gone higher.

What will give stock like behavior at normal acceleration but go into the power band at WOT?

I have a 3500 PI triple-disc in the '96 with 4.10s and it is very well mannered on the street but it will rip at WOT. :D

It's the identical combo that was on the '93 before it was upgraded to 4.30s and a 3800 stall. Now the '93 is a tad more evil on the street but it is certainly still a street car. ;)

A good converter will have good street manners regardless of the stall.

I have a 3500 PI triple-disc in the '96 with 4.10s and it is very well mannered on the street but it will rip at WOT. :D

It's the identical combo that was on the '93 before it was upgraded to 4.30s and a 3800 stall. Now the '93 is a tad more evil on the street but it is certainly still a street car. ;)

A good converter will have good street manners regardless of the stall.

As long as its a lockup converter you'll be very happy with city/freeway and strip use.

What about for a street car that spends 3-4 times a year at the track? What will give stock like behavior at normal acceleration but go into the power band at WOT?

Like I said, no less than 3800.

under normal driving it wont be any form of a issue.

Friend of mine has a 3800 in his car and it's perfect.

Who needs to go to the track to go WOT... I go WOT almost every day... gotta keep that motor clean :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back