Have LS want to go faster

I checked out that Diablo programer or whatever my friend was talking about. After going to their website I recognized the product lineup. I have a friend who runs the Predator Module in his 05 GT and loves it. What my friend had told me about earlier was the M.A.F.ia from Diablo. It allows use of the stock MAF sensor with significant power adders . . . would be better suited for the Stang and probable the MarkVIII then the LS. Since apparently we can't get enough power yet to warrant an aftermarket MAF.

The SCT software that the dealer uses is very complete and can modify many parameters of the PCM (you can purchase the same software yourself in their Pro-Racer package - but be warned it is not for armatures). This allows a custom tune to be loaded into the XCal2 for your car, your mods. The best scenario is to find a SCT dealer with an in-house dyno and tune your actual car on the dyno.

The other type of programmers (jetchip, diablo, hypertech and now the SCT SF) come with pre-set tunes and some end user adjustably to make changes to that tune to compensate for your mods.

Jim Henderson said:
The guys tag SBC probably tells something. If that is Small Block Chebby, then he loves to mod stuff ;^)

The LS would be fun to mod, but in the short time I have owned it, there appears to be very few real speed parts out there.

From what I have read, this tiny engine maybe TBF(Tiny Block Ford?) is pretty much optimized for maxiumum power with streetability and reliability in mind. We could probably get more, but I would guess our engine is at the point of diminishing returns.

BTW, this chassis is rated as one of the stiffest chassis put out by Ford in a long time. It probably doesn't need a lot of bracing other than for looks.

I am resigned to the idea that the LS is my back to work car and that I will need a toy sometime in the near future. Unfortunately I am a BB Dodge or Poncho type guy.

Jim Henderson
I'd gladly take just 85 naturally aspirated HP per liter (a la Infiniti G35 et. al.) for around 330 HP out of the 3.9, nice and easy to live with. I figure that unless you're just pointing the car (as opposed to actually driving it) if you can't go fast with 300 HP, 900 ain't gonna help...

You gotta remember now...
IF YOU GOT A HEAVY FOOT...YOU BETTER HAVE FAST HANDS!
(wouldn't wanta read about cha guy)

5.7sbc said:
Anyone heard of a programer from "Diablo" or something like that. I friend who is running it on his Mustang said it will work for my LS too. I'm not so sure . . . he says that it allows me to play around with the injectors? I think he has no idea what he is talking about. Has anyone heard of a product like this?

I haven't heard of Diablo coming out with a hand held for the LS...different ECM. However, SCT has and Diablo may follow if they haven't. But remember, the hand helds only allow you to make very small changes beyond the tune that comes with it. Best bet is to follow Quik's advice and get it to a tuner with a dyno.

Drnaline said:
Not possible, really? I have two brothers that work at Ford and they say different. Granted i have access to all the parameters and then some. What don't you get about "i have done extensive research"? "What you are attempting here is just not an option on this car unless someone is willing to step up big time and design a whole new software system for it." So you agree it is possible? Or should i not attempt it because you say it is not possible? For a car enthusiast site some of you sure arn't enthused. I'm sure if Quik had your can't do attitude his car wouldn't be as modded as it is? http://www.theraceforum.com/index.cfm?template=forum_topic&form_topic_id=2909&form_cat_id=4

Ummmm no. I own an 04 Cobra and am more familiar with mods, computer flashes, chips, etc than most. But this car is a completely different animal than other Fords. If you're brothers say it's possible to use a completely different ECM (that IS what you were advocating isn't it...not a flash) then they are writing code for Ford because nobody else knows a thing about that being possible. You need to clarify what they are saying. With what is available at this time, a different ECM is not available nor can it be switched to an aftermarket system such as FAST and have everything work like it does. Can it be done? Maybe...but I can promise you that you can't do it if you had to ask someone if it could be done. Not flaming you...just calling it like I see it. As to Quik...he is doing something that is well within the very limited parameters he has to work with on the stock ECM. Even he isn't positive it will be successful...but it should be because he already has the capability to tune the existing ECM...and that's the secret with this car.

If there were a market for items you discuss, you would see them available I'm sure. But the sad fact is no one is going to invest the R & D to develop them for such an incredibly small market. If they were to do so, the cost would be so prohibitive no one could afford them. Actually, I was quite surprised Magnaflow bent up an exhaust system!

Anyone know of any dyno shops in the New England area that have worked with the 3.9L LS?

2001LS8Sport said:
Ummmm no. I own an 04 Cobra and am more familiar with mods, computer flashes, chips, etc than most. But this car is a completely different animal than other Fords. If you're brothers say it's possible to use a completely different ECM (that IS what you were advocating isn't it...not a flash) then they are writing code for Ford because nobody else knows a thing about that being possible. You need to clarify what they are saying. With what is available at this time, a different ECM is not available nor can it be switched to an aftermarket system such as FAST and have everything work like it does. Can it be done? Maybe...but I can promise you that you can't do it if you had to ask someone if it could be done. Not flaming you...just calling it like I see it. As to Quik...he is doing something that is well within the very limited parameters he has to work with on the stock ECM. Even he isn't positive it will be successful...but it should be because he already has the capability to tune the existing ECM...and that's the secret with this car.

If there were a market for items you discuss, you would see them available I'm sure. But the sad fact is no one is going to invest the R & D to develop them for such an incredibly small market. If they were to do so, the cost would be so prohibitive no one could afford them. Actually, I was quite surprised Magnaflow bent up an exhaust system!
If you're brothers say it's possible to use a completely different ECM (that IS what you were advocating isn't it...not a flash) then they are writing code for Ford because nobody else knows a thing about that being possible.
Your assumption would be wrong. How is it possible for
champ and trans am to run that engine combo without a ford ecm?
You need to clarify what they are saying. With what is available at this time, a different ECM is not available nor can it be switched to an aftermarket system such as FAST and have everything work like it does.
I need to clarify nothing. My example is for the working of the engine and engine only, and there are systems out there that can handle the job so you would be wrong again. I care not how it effects other things of the vehicle, some thing you insist on interjecting. That may be a qualification for you but not for me.

Can it be done? Maybe...but I can promise you that you can't do it if you had to ask someone if it could be done.
Can you show me where i asked if it could be done? I've looked so that would make you wrong for the third time.

Not flaming you...just calling it like I see it.

Didn't think you were. But your sight if very short.

As to Quik...he is doing something that is well within the very limited parameters he has to work with on the stock ECM. Even he isn't positive it will be successful...but it should be because he already has the capability to tune the existing ECM...and that's the secret with this car.

Not begrudging Quik, but there are already factory SC applications out there. The new style bird, the Jag. So a secret it is not. All this emphasis is on using a stock ECM. When using this engine for serious all out racing the stock ECM is the first thing they get rid of.

Such enthusiasm. Grass roots performance usually turns out to be the future aftermarket. They do not appear over night. I don't wait for some one to come up with something as it appears you do. I prefer to tinker with it myself. You are content to idle while some are prepared to leave you in the dust. No offence. Just calling it like i see it and my sight is pretty far.

Drnaline said:
Not begrudging Quik, but there are already factory SC applications out there. The new style bird, the Jag. So a secret it is not.

Not correct. The t-bird was done by the same guy that is working with me. He used the $7k jag pieces to do it. The S-Type R is hardley the same engine - only the black is the same.

Drnaline said:
All this emphasis is on using a stock ECM. When using this engine for serious all out racing the stock ECM is the first thing they get rid of..

You continue to overlook the issue that we will be limited by the stock internals - and the lack of aftermarket to improve upon them.

...but we have discussed all this before....

5.7sbc said:
Anyone know of any dyno shops in the New England area that have worked with the 3.9L LS?

right - it's not just a dyno shop but a SCT dealer -so they can create the tune and re-flash your PCM.

On the SCT web-site:

Dealer Name: Karl's East Coast Speed
Contact Name: Karl
Dealer Address: 3145 Post Road
Warwick RI 02886 US Phone: 401-737-7932
Web Site: www.Mustangmall.com
E-Mail Address: karlsr351@netzero.net
Available Services: In-House Dyno: Y Mail-Order: Y Custom Tuning: Y

Dealer Name: Mike Dez Racing
Contact Name: Mike
Dealer Address: 1761 Fall River Ave
Seekonk MA 02771 US
Phone: 508-336-6588
Web Site: http://www.dezracing.com/
E-Mail Address: mike@dezracing.com

Dealer Name: SD Concept Engineering, Inc (SDCE)
Contact Name: Scott
Dealer Address: 4 Daisy St
West Warwick RI 02893 US
Phone: 401-826-4400
Web Site: www.sd-concepts.com
E-Mail Address: sdconcepts@yahoo.com

Quik LS said:
Not correct. The t-bird was done by the same guy that is working with me. He used the $7k jag pieces to do it. The S-Type R is hardley the same engine - only the black is the same.

You continue to overlook the issue that we will be limited by the stock internals - and the lack of aftermarket to improve upon them.

...but we have discussed all this before....
Did he use the stock ECM? Or the Jag ECM? And he made it for Ford as a concept, close enough to factory for me.

So when you finish you SC setup and possible market it will you be considered aftermarket? I plan to do the same with a header and as can be done with the stock internals. I'm not waitng for the aftermarket. You are positioning yourself to become the aftermarket. Ford or Jag are not making the parts that trans-am uses, some one is making it for them. So aftermarket there is.

I thought the issue with the BlackOak PCM in the LS is that it runs alot more than just the engine. From what I understand, they guys who dropped the 4.6 in it had to runs two PCMs to get it all to work. I had also read somewhere that the way it stores data is different than older PCMs, so it has been harder to reverse engineer and nearly imposiable to make a chip for.

I thought that the newer supercharged thunderbird was only a concept. I didnt realize that they had gotten it to work,( and Im sure that they used all the 'stock' parts gettin it to run with the SC :rolleyes: )

Drnaline said:
Did he use the stock ECM? Or the Jag ECM? And he made it for Ford as a concept, close enough to factory for me.

Stock PCM. The Jag ECU is not compatible at all - every other system within the Jag (including the bus) is different from the LS). He used the Stock PCM, added a ninth injector to modify the fueling - since he couldn't re-flash the PCM himself. He didn't feel this was the way to go out to the public - so that is way we are going the current route I am on.

Drnaline said:
So when you finish you SC setup and possible market it will you be considered aftermarket?

The plan is to make this a kit - however - I'll not be involved in selling it - no time.

GranPappy said:
I thought the issue with the BlackOak PCM in the LS is that it runs alot more than just the engine. From what I understand, they guys who dropped the 4.6 in it had to runs two PCMs to get it all to work. I had also read somewhere that the way it stores data is different than older PCMs, so it has been harder to reverse engineer and nearly imposiable to make a chip for.

right. We can now reflash the PCM (thanx to SCT) but cannot change any of the other pieces in the network - we just haven't got to that level yet - and may never..... Where are the $$$$ for the aftermarket to spend on R&D to go chase.

Snafu said:
The LS is a car.. Owned by a person, and that person can do as they wish with their car. If he wants to make a few mods to it, wonderful i think thats what alot of people are interested in. seeing what others have done, or are trying out is why most of us talk to each other. If i could put a 427 in my luxury sedan with poofy heated leather seats and have it run 10's in the quarter, while my winshield wipers come on automatically in the rain i would. when it comes down to it opinions are like @$$#0!3$, everyone's got one and they all stink!

WOOT! HOT ROD LINCOLN! That is what america is all about my brother from another mother! Some people just don't understand how easily they put their foot in their mouth. Its like holy cow that's a 120,000$$ lamborgini and you want to put what on it? That's when I say WELL HELL YEAH! Look at genos mark it is sweet and if he wants to have a hot rod lincoln then so be it, THATS AMERICA BABY! YEAH!

Members online

No members online now.
Back