Have LS want to go faster

5.7sbc

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, love my new Lincoln LS but want more . . . besides the usual stuff; intake, exhaust, flasher and NOS . . . what else? Anybody know if there are underdrive pulleys? Will a lower temp fan switch and thermostat work? What about a shift kit? Looking for any tips or tricks that are proven. Oh almost forgot . . . its not a good fast goody but I was also looking for a strut tower brace. Anyone with any suggestions? Thanks and have a nice day! :)

Search
there are tons of post about pulleys
They wont do much except not charge you battery.....the fan switch can be adjusted in the flasher(i believe) and I dont think anyone makes a strut brace and I dont know about the clearance with it....

Good luck ....and I say spray it.....

The LS already has a shock tower brace. It is "hidden" under the cowl pieces.

As for the other stuff, The LS is a Luxury Sport Sedan, not a drag car.....

Well I thought I saw a pic on this site of a lincoln LS with a brace accross the engine. And if there is already one for the front does anybody know of a rear brace or am I better off breaking out the welder and tube bender?

The LS is a car.. Owned by a person, and that person can do as they wish with their car. If he wants to make a few mods to it, wonderful i think thats what alot of people are interested in. seeing what others have done, or are trying out is why most of us talk to each other. If i could put a 427 in my luxury sedan with poofy heated leather seats and have it run 10's in the quarter, while my winshield wipers come on automatically in the rain i would. when it comes down to it opinions are like @$$#0!3$, everyone's got one and they all stink!

The guys tag SBC probably tells something. If that is Small Block Chebby, then he loves to mod stuff ;^)

The LS would be fun to mod, but in the short time I have owned it, there appears to be very few real speed parts out there.

From what I have read, this tiny engine maybe TBF(Tiny Block Ford?) is pretty much optimized for maxiumum power with streetability and reliability in mind. We could probably get more, but I would guess our engine is at the point of diminishing returns.

BTW, this chassis is rated as one of the stiffest chassis put out by Ford in a long time. It probably doesn't need a lot of bracing other than for looks.

I am resigned to the idea that the LS is my back to work car and that I will need a toy sometime in the near future. Unfortunately I am a BB Dodge or Poncho type guy.

Jim Henderson

Snafu said:
The LS is a car.. Owned by a person, and that person can do as they wish with their car. If he wants to make a few mods to it, wonderful i think thats what alot of people are interested in. seeing what others have done, or are trying out is why most of us talk to each other. If i could put a 427 in my luxury sedan with poofy heated leather seats and have it run 10's in the quarter, while my winshield wipers come on automatically in the rain i would. when it comes down to it opinions are like @$$#0!3$, everyone's got one and they all stink!
LOL this it so true..... I hope you find something and If you building a strut bar and its fits and looks good I would buy one from you (if you wanna make a second one that is.......

Good luck and Hope to see you progress and Pics

Well I am a Chevy guy but anything with power gets me going! Its just too easy to make a fast Chevy. I was a Mustang fanatic for a while but after about 8 of them there is only so much you can do that hasn't been done to death. I just like the idea of being able to fit a BBC in anything I want. All I want outa my LS is matching its performance to its styling and live up to all the hype regarding its performance. Whatever I can do to squeeze every last viable bit of performance out of it. I know I'm not gonna go to the track and lay down numbers even close to my Chevys but I do wanna catch someone sleepin at the lights in my LS.

Jim Henderson said:
From what I have read, this tiny engine maybe TBF(Tiny Block Ford?) is pretty much optimized for maxiumum power with streetability and reliability in mind. We could probably get more, but I would guess our engine is at the point of diminishing returns.
Actually, I'd say it's a TBJ (Tiny Block Jaguar)--the LS's V8 is derived from the Jaguar's AJ-V8. Given that the same block (and substantially similar bottom end) produces more power in the S-Type, XJ, and XK, I'd say that there's a decent amount of performance left to be pulled out of the engine. Hell, the S-Type R is a DEW-98, and it produces 400hp using the same block. (Too bad we don't get the ZF 6-speed slushbox that's in the S-Type R. :( )

Hmm, I wonder what would happen if one were to replace the Lincoln crank, con rods, and pistons with those from an S-Type R. That would have to be good for something, going from 3.9 to 4.0 liters...

Drnaline said:
I was reading about the SCCA Jags and they are getting 650 horses out of a 4.5. I think they are naturally aspirated. They are ruffly half a liter bigger so there must be alot more in there using essentially the same block.
Yeah, but those aren't exactly "streetable" engines. The Jag Rs, on the other hand, are squeezing more out of the engine while keeping the reliability and low maintenance requirements needed for street engines.

SoonerLS said:
Yeah, but those aren't exactly "streetable" engines. The Jag Rs, on the other hand, are squeezing more out of the engine while keeping the reliability and low maintenance requirements needed for street engines.
Define streetable. My example is only to show that these engines are not maxed out. As some believe. There is plenty to be had for someone willing to do some leg work. IMO any one can bolt a supercharger kit on an engine, especially if you have access to casting equipment. That's what the R is, stock with a roots. I wonder what there 650 would do with a twin screw? 1000 horses anyone? They may be close to maxed in a stock configuration. Depending on your definition, once you drill holes in the air box it is no longer stock. Change to a different engine management system and the sky is the limit.

Drnaline said:
Define streetable. My example is only to show that these engines are not maxed out. As some believe. There is plenty to be had for someone willing to do some leg work. IMO any one can bolt a supercharger kit on an engine, especially if you have access to casting equipment. That's what the R is, stock with a roots. I wonder what there 650 would do with a twin screw? 1000 horses anyone? They may be close to maxed in a stock configuration. Depending on your definition, once you drill holes in the air box it is no longer stock. Change to a different engine management system and the sky is the limit.

Clearly talk from someone who has not done this.

Please - spend more time reviewing what we have already done before throwing comments out like this.

Quik LS said:
Clearly talk from someone who has not done this.

Please - spend more time reviewing what we have already done before throwing comments out like this.
Clearly a comment from some one who does not know me. I've done extensive research. I have an 89 SC Bird. I know your super inside and out. You think you've modded one, have i got pics for you. A small post count does not mean i'm new to the game.
Sorry if the "bolt on" slang offended you. Your app was not bolt on.

Drnaline said:
Clearly a comment from some one who does not know me. I've done extensive research. I have an 89 SC Bird. I know your super inside and out. You think you've modded one, have i got pics for you. A small post count does not mean i'm new to the game.
Sorry if the "bolt on" slang offended you. Your app was not bolt on.

Right - we cram more power down the engine... but 1000hp? please.

There are 100 different options to improve the SC efficiency - all make more hp - the issue is there just is not the options to allow the engine to handle the hp. The PCM is limited, the internals are limited, ...etc. and there is no aftermarket.

To squeeze everything out of this engine - you can get better performance by running closer to MBT (minimum for best torque) spark or LBT (lean best torque) fuelling. The LS already runs LBT fuel (approximately 12:1 air/fuel ratio, compared to the normal stoichiometric 14.6:1) at wide open throttle. Spark is normally the minimum of MBT and "borderline" (where knock begins). This is normally the only place where there's room for improvement from the PCM - but running closer to MBT when you're borderline limited would mean running higher octane fuel. so - since the LS already runs on premium, so you're going to need to find some really good fuel....

Hey Quik, what tune do you have? I got the LSK intake and Magna-Flow, looking for the final pc. I guess. I seen you post something like a total of 44hp total, true? When I installed my intake the MAF seemed small, at least it was the obvious bottle neck in the set-up, anyone try to get a bigger one?

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
When I installed my intake the MAF seemed small, at least it was the obvious bottle neck in the set-up, anyone try to get a bigger one?

We have not been able to push past the stock MAF yet. With that said - I run a Granatelli 'Cold-Air Tuned' MAF.

The tune I have is from Torrie and FastPartsNetwork.com - 19rwhp. The best we got was 22rwhp - but it did ping under heavy, heavy load.

Quik LS said:

There are 100 different options to improve the SC efficiency - all make more hp - the issue is there just is not the options to allow the engine to handle the hp. The PCM is limited, the internal are limited, ...etc. there is no aftermarket.

To squeeze everything out of this engine - you can get better performance by running closer to MBT (minimum for best torque) spark or LBT (lean best torque) fuelling. The LS already runs LBT fuel (approximately 12:1 air/fuel ratio, compared to the normal stoichiometric 14.6:1) at wide open throttle. Spark is normally the minimum of MBT and "borderline" (where knock begins). This is normally the only place where there's room for improvement from the PCM - but running closer to MBT when you're borderline limited would mean running higher octane fuel. so - since the LS already runs on premium, so you're going to need to find some really good fuel....
If they can get twice the horses out of it from stock, naturally aspirated, I think with 15/20/30 pounds of boost. 1000 ain't that far off. If you can keep the heads on.

There are 100 different options to improve the SC efficiency - all make more hp - the issue is there just is not the options to allow the engine to handle the hp. The PCM is limited, the internal are limited, ...etc. there is no aftermarket.

Gotta start some where. There are at least a 100 options for a N/A engine too. That's why you address the issue of engine stability first. The SCCA Jags are using stock blocks, why do they live? And they do in in the most extreme conditions. Full on, full off. There is no aftermarket that any one will talk about. I dought very seriously they make there own cranks, rods, rings, cams, stud kits. And the link i posted says it's not a stock engine management computer. So either there using completely stock parts or there getting help form some where. In either case they are obtaining over two horse per cubic inch. No easy feet but possible. All that is required is endless time, passion and money. And it's nice to have all three at the same time.

Agreed, but none of that will stop me from working on making it better. First is a new EMS or piggy back. Heads, headers. And i plan to do them myself. As i have before. when i think i've maxed it then i might through a SC on top.

On another note, being that your using an Eaton. I have a prototype blower hat you may be interested in. I got some pics on photobucket but for some reason they are down.

Quik LS said:
We have not been able to push past the stock MAF yet. With that said - I run a Granatelli 'Cold-Air Tuned' MAF.

The tune I have is from Torrie and FastPartsNetwork.com - 19rwhp. The best we got was 22rwhp - but it did ping under heavy, heavy load.
So you mean a larger diameter wouldn't do squat. How much hp do you think the Granatelli added. I've seen alot about them. Not cheap.

Drnaline said:
....snip.....

Agreed, but none of that will stop me from working on making it better. First is a new EMS or piggy back. Heads, headers. And i plan to do them myself. As i have before. when i think i've maxed it then i might through a SC on top.

....snip.....

And that is exactly why Quik said to do research before you make comments like that. Running a different Engine Management System on this car is not possible. This car uses a protocol that is very different. The entire vehicle and all of it's modules/computers are tied together and communicate with each other. Even the top of the line FAST system won't come close to doing what is necessary. Even the dash is tied to it! SCT has come up with some parameters that can be flashed....but that is it. What you are attempting here is just not an option on this car unless someone is willing to step up big time and design a whole new software system for it. Unless you have extremely deep pockets, I wouldn't count on that ever happening.

2001LS8Sport said:
And that is exactly why Quik said to do research before you make comments like that. Running a different Engine Management System on this car is not possible. This car uses a protocol that is very different. The entire vehicle and all of it's modules/computers are tied together and communicate with each other. Even the top of the line FAST system won't come close to doing what is necessary. Even the dash is tied to it! SCT has come up with some parameters that can be flashed....but that is it. What you are attempting here is just not an option on this car unless someone is willing to step up big time and design a whole new software system for it. Unless you have extremely deep pockets, I wouldn't count on that ever happening.
Not possible, really? I have two brothers that work at Ford and they say different. Granted i have access to all the parameters and then some. What don't you get about "i have done extensive research"? "What you are attempting here is just not an option on this car unless someone is willing to step up big time and design a whole new software system for it." So you agree it is possible? Or should i not attempt it because you say it is not possible? For a car enthusiast site some of you sure arn't enthused. I'm sure if Quik had your can't do attitude his car wouldn't be as modded as it is? http://www.theraceforum.com/index.cfm?template=forum_topic&form_topic_id=2909&form_cat_id=4

Anyone heard of a programer from "Diablo" or something like that. I friend who is running it on his Mustang said it will work for my LS too. I'm not so sure . . . he says that it allows me to play around with the injectors? I think he has no idea what he is talking about. Has anyone heard of a product like this?

Yes you can get incredible amounts of power from just about any engine block. The key is how long and what for? I think the current generation of nitro burning engines gets well over 3,000, 4,000? hp, but I recall they need to be rebuilt after a few runs, and sometimes after just one. Some of the ricers are getting insane amounts of power, I think I read 1,000hp, but these are not engines or projects for every day driving.

I DO NOT speak from experience on the LS so...

The LS engine in it's raw form is probably capable of a lot more streetable power. The problem is that the way things are set up in this car, you would need to disable or redesign the way the computer system ties into things. That appears to be the big stumbling block

Supercharing apparently is much more difficult that we would think. Reading postings about the "almost ready for market" supercharger kits it is clear the several wannabe sellers are having a tough time figuring out how to make these kits work reliably on this engine. I thinks some have been "almost ready" for a couple years now. Projected costs seem to keep going up. Last I read it was past $5,000??!!

The Jag engines are the same block but from what I have read, use significantly different internals and intake/exhaust, computers and/or super chargers etc. Wish it was an easy bolt up, but you would figure after 6 years on the market, one of the guys would have got it, but I haven't read about it here.

The LS is a nice car as is. Would be more fun if it did have more umph, but guess that is the way it is gonna be. From reading, it sounds like Ford is concentrating their efforts on the Jag line as their premium performance line while Lincoln seems to be moving the way of mid range luxury like a Buick or Oldsmobile. That's unfortunate in my mind, but guess Ford has to make a living. Also could be Ford has to "hobble" the LS so that it doesn't out run the premium Jags. Kind of like the "Corvette has to be the fastest Chevy or else" so GM choked down a few good regular production cars that could have outrun the Vette.

If any one ever does get a good streetable bolt on package I might get in line, right after my warranty is up. Mean time I gotta find me a 79 Transam to redo so I can re-live my "American Giggalo" or was it "Smokey and the Bandit" days. Or maybe a nice late 80s early 90s or pre 73 Vette is the ticket?

Just my opinions,

Jim Henderson

Members online

No members online now.
Back