harsh transmission shifts

The PCM (engine computer) also controls the transmission. After a "reset" it controls the transmission with the default strategy and parameters. After it has enough data on the way your transmission reacts (pressures and timings) it moves away from the safer defaults and tries to optimize things. Apparently, you have some fault that keeps this from working out too well.

changing the solenoid pack only improved the shifts from park to reverse and drive the other shifts are still rough may be a bad PCM but shouldn't it be throwing a code?

i did a google search and got this info from jeep wrangler forum

"I had your same issue. You know that the hard shifiting goes away when you reset your PCM. Mark my words, it will return in a few days. I tried every trick in the book and it never went away. UNTIL, I replaced the PCM. With the remanufactured one, I have put 5000 miles on my TJ and it hasn't shifted hard ever since. Find a remanufactured PCM, get it programmed to your year, make, VIN, ETC. Very easy install. Spend the money on it now instead of having the dealer nickle and dime you to insanity. "http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/hard-shift-1st-2nd-when-cold-863301/index3.html

this is exactly what happens to me hard shifting goes away transmission shifts like brand new feels like a different car then returns in a few days

is there anyway i can be sure its the PCM i don't want to buy a $500.00 part for nothing maybe i should do a PCM reflash first at the dealer

The PCM (engine computer) also controls the transmission. After a "reset" it controls the transmission with the default strategy and parameters. After it has enough data on the way your transmission reacts (pressures and timings) it moves away from the safer defaults and tries to optimize things. Apparently, you have some fault that keeps this from working out too well.

in my case it moves away from defaults shifts which are perfect and tires to optimize things but somehow dysfunctions and gets worse instead of getting better and this does not throw any code could this be anything other then PCM what about TCM?

in my case it moves away from defaults shifts which are perfect and tires to optimize things but somehow dysfunctions and gets worse instead of getting better and this does not throw any code could this be anything other then PCM what about TCM?

You "may" need an upgraded calibration. The dealer will need to do this. I would assume this as everything works fine until the PCM starts "adjusting". There have been more than one updates. How are you driving? Like an old lady or like you stole it? The same every time? BTW, this isn't a Jeep.......

Transmission Control Module??????? Which there isn't.....

You "may" need an upgraded calibration. The dealer will need to do this. I would assume this as everything works fine until the PCM starts "adjusting". There have been more than one updates. How are you driving? Like an old lady or like you stole it? The same every time? BTW, this isn't a Jeep.......

yes everything works fine until PCM starts adjusting then transmission shifts go down hill from there on usually takes a few driving sessions
so I go to the dealership service department and ask to get an upgraded calibration? what exactly is this?

no transmission control module? good one less thing to worry about

yes everything works fine until PCM starts adjusting then transmission shifts go down hill from there on usually takes a few driving sessions
so I go to the dealership service department and ask to get an upgraded calibration? what exactly is this?

no transmission control module? good one less thing to worry about

What do you mean exactly? Lazy shifts? Harsh shifts?

both lazy and harsh shifts most of the time they are Harsh shifts after a battery disconnect its a whole new transmission quick and smooth shifts but this is only temporary and that's where the problem comes into play

both lazy and harsh shifts most of the time they are Harsh shifts after a battery disconnect its a whole new transmission quick and smooth shifts but this is only temporary and that's where the problem comes into play

So..... Are you driving it easy? If so the PCM will adjust and slow the shifts.

i drive very easy on the gas most the time iv;e owed this car for a few yrs now have disconnected /reconnected the battery a few times hoping that it will adjust itself but after a few driving sessions its back to the same old harsh shifts

anyone else ?what say you joegr?

Well, I know that if you lift your foot slightly to help it shift, it will mess it up to the point that it will expect you to do that every time. I had to get my wife to stop doing that. I only have rare experience with being easy on the gas...

Well, I know that if you lift your foot slightly to help it shift, it will mess it up to the point that it will expect you to do that every time. I had to get my wife to stop doing that. I only have rare experience with being easy on the gas...

you know what that might be it i will try the disconnect/reconnect procedure once again

you know what that might be it i will try the disconnect/reconnect procedure once again

drive cycle procedure says to use a steady foot. the whole break-in thing is kind of null and void if you didnt follow all of the directions to a 't'

at this point, if you want it fixed you need to take it to lincoln and let it be their problem. how many miles have you put on the car since you have been having the harsh tranny shifts? have the the shifts gotten worse/more harsh? have you had any other catastrophic failures <that you are aware of>? keep us updated with lincoln's fix(es). it has been about a year since you mentioned harsh shifting, and you alluded to it being an issue for some time before you posted, so over time you pretty much stress-tested your tranny, which most people do not have the cojones to do. <ha> i think your answers to these questions will be helpful to majority of the people here who are relegating the LS to a 'bang for the buck' daily beater and are not sure if they should bother throwing time & money & effort at shifting issues.

True and false. You only need the dealer to calibrate/flash an otherwise fully functioning PCM if you cannot follow the directions in the owners manual for a battery disconnect and then the directions in the shop manuals for a drive cycle following a KAM-clearing battery disconnect. If you are incapable of following the directions then you need to take it in and have lincoln do it for you. just keep in mind that when you disconnect your battery: *poof* the expensive work they did is gone. youre probably better off learning to do it yourself or getting a new car. because based on the customer experiences i have read, most of the lincoln/ford dealers do not have techs who are aware of how touchy the tranny is in this car and do not bother correctly calibrating most of the input sensors after dealer repair. <and why would they, when anyone with half a brain would bring it back in after a few months thinking that the trans has crapped and may be willing to shell out $1500 to get it rebuilt or trading it in and eating a significant loss on the trade>

True and false. You only need the dealer to calibrate/flash an otherwise fully functioning PCM if you cannot follow the directions in the owners manual for a battery disconnect and then the directions in the shop manuals for a drive cycle following a KAM-clearing battery disconnect. If you are incapable of following the directions then you need to take it in and have lincoln do it for you. just keep in mind that when you disconnect your battery: *poof* the expensive work they did is gone. youre probably better off learning to do it yourself or getting a new car. because based on the customer experiences i have read, most of the lincoln/ford dealers do not have techs who are aware of how touchy the tranny is in this car and do not bother correctly calibrating most of the input sensors after dealer repair. <and why would they, when anyone with half a brain would bring it back in after a few months thinking that the trans has crapped and may be willing to shell out $1500 to get it rebuilt or trading it in and eating a significant loss on the trade>

Disconnecting the battery DOES NOT upload a new calibration.........

Jeesh....... Back to "ignore"........

I'm thinking worn servo bores which are a beloved feature of the 5r55 family...

http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com/

I have these same issues with my LS. 2003 V8. Smooth shifts into reverse with no lag. Smooth shifting through all gear at WOT. Rough shifts at light to moderate throttle and the damn thing never wants to downshift. Thinking about trying out this servo bore fix and a PCM reflash at the dealership.

I have these same issues with my LS. 2003 V8. Smooth shifts into reverse with no lag. Smooth shifting through all gear at WOT. Rough shifts at light to moderate throttle and the damn thing never wants to downshift. Thinking about trying out this servo bore fix and a PCM reflash at the dealership.

worn servo bores? don't think so my transmission shifts like new after battery disconnect reconnect procedure after few driving sessions shifts turn harsh

my shifts are smooth from park to drive or reverse after changing the solenoid pack

I;ve never had problems downshifting I think pcm reflash is a waste of money unless there are updates available only one way to find out if u take it to the dealer and they hook it up

Disconnecting the battery DOES NOT upload a new calibration.........

Jeesh....... Back to "ignore"........

not sure why you quoted me, I never said it did. must have been the voices in your head. werent you one of the smart guys who insisted that he needed a new solenoid? or was that the voices again? too bad you cant put them on 'ignore' huh bubbie

I tried driving like this but its dangerous there are times when you have to let of gas before it shifts

I'm currently experiencing harsh reverse engagement and rough shift from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 3rd. Struggles to downshift sometimes. Transmission shop has had my car over a week now. Has replaced the solenoid packs--no change--and inspected the servo bores and say they are fine *sigh*.

2003 LS V8

Finally! But...

New PCM finally arrived and I got my car back yesterday. Appears to have fixed the hard shift issue! Car seems to accelerate smoother as well.

Now I just have to get the damage to my bumper fixed *sigh* (dealer is paying for the fix):

IMG_20130926_190800.jpg

IMG_20130926_190800.jpg

Add me to the list of LS owners who has had a bad PCM cause harsh shifts. In my 2-3 and 3-4. I had an overhaul and the issue was still there. Threw in a PCM and no more bad shifts or battery draw. Also from what I've seen most of solenoid issues are caused by dirt in shaft bores. There are several youtube videos on the subject. Here's one. My LS now has slow engagement into gear when cold. I wonder if it could be a solenoid issue.

finally fixed the problem after replacing the solenoid pack the PCM needed to be recalibrated and or updated

I went to the stealership a couple months ago asked to get the PCM updated and recalibrated and the transmission guy there said it wont fixed the harsh shifting he said the solenoid pack needs to be changed I told him I already changed it he said that may still be the problem and I should get it changed again so I didn't get the PCM updated

went back about a week ago and said I want the PCM updated and recalibrated the service person at the front desk brought back the same transmission guy and again told me it would not fix the problem and that we already had this conversation I told him that's fine i'll get the PCM updated and recalibrated anyway

got my car back the shifting seemed smoother right away but not as smooth as I hoped for after driving for a few days the shifting has gotten much better alot smoother then before the transmission used to draaag itself and then shift harshly now I get the quick and smooth shifts

"So the transmission shop thinks it is the PCM. It's on order estimated to arrive on Monday."soccerplayer2007

you should of gotten the PCM updated and recalibrated first to see if it would fix the problem worked for me

Members online

No members online now.
Back