harsh transmission shifts

The RFI that joe speaks of, coming from a bad coil, if it's #4 on a V8, so close to the PCM, is known to throw a misleading false bad Throttle Body and Position sensor code. It'd go into failsafe mode eventually and exhibit all sorts of rough running and banging transmission symptoms. Ask me how I know. Replaced all eight coils and plugs and problem gone.

That's not to suggest this is what your problem is, just merely an agreement with Joe that bad failing marginal coils will/can irritate the nearby PCM. Not to mention ruin a perfect good set of expensive Catalytic Converters.

Yes, I did say that this is one possibility. I did not say (or mean to imply) that it was the only one. It could well be that the two issues are unrelated. Perhaps he has a weak battery (E-brake problem) and a failing solenoid assembly or valve body. There are other possibilities as well.

:eek:your kidding? :eek: $300/$400 part? wow...well i want to be sure this is the problem before replacing it is there anyway i can test it?
When I changed mine I found a rebuilt one on ebay for under $100. Still shifting strong a year later.
In looking into shifting issues on my other LS, I have been told by someone who knows that there's a procedure in the DVD manual to test PSI for PC-C at a test port on the tranny. If pressures are good, it's probably internal damage. Bad pressures, probably the solenoid pak. Need a 0-350psi gauge.

COP = Coil On Plug, your ignition coils. The most common failure mode seems to be for the epoxy inside to experience high voltage breakdown. This causes a weaker spark and a lot of RFI. The RFI is the real problem. This fault can only be detected via a stress test. The cost of this test is close to the cost of just replacing the COPs with new OEM ones. The spark plugs must be replaced too.
When was the last time you replaced all of the COPs and plugs? What brand of COPs did you use? Did you make sure the plug gaps were exactly 1.0mm?

I changed the COP about 2 months ago and the spark plugs last month. There is no engine light on. ? I will be getting diagnosed next Tuesday.

Last edited:
stress tested the transmission for about 40 000 kms since the harsh shifting started and now finally after replacing the solenoid pack and updating PCM and recalibrated shifting like new again these cars have solid transmissions

I had my PCM flashed 2 weeks ago by Ford but nothing changed. How do you recalibrate the shift points?

The RFI that joe speaks of, coming from a bad coil, if it's #4 on a V8, so close to the PCM, is known to throw a misleading false bad Throttle Body and Position sensor code. It'd go into failsafe mode eventually and exhibit all sorts of rough running and banging transmission symptoms. Ask me how I know. Replaced all eight coils and plugs and problem gone.

That's not to suggest this is what your problem is, just merely an agreement with Joe that bad failing marginal coils will/can irritate the nearby PCM. Not to mention ruin a perfect good set of expensive Catalytic Converters.

My battery is brand new, 2 months old. All coils and spark plugs replaced. No engine light on.

I changed the COP about 2 months ago and the spark plugs last month. There is no engine light on. ? I will be getting diagnosed next Tuesday.

"The COP"? There are eight of them, not just one. Did you replace all eight? This would be about $400 in parts alone (no labor). Did you do it yourself, or get someone to do it?

"The COP"? There are eight of them, not just one. Did you replace all eight? This would be about $400 in parts alone (no labor). Did you do it yourself, or get someone to do it?

I replaced all 8. I went to Amazon and bought from "ECCP" Pack of 8 Ignition Coils for Ford Thunderbird Lincoln LS Jaguar S-Type Compatible with DG-515 DG509 C1234 2W4Z-12029-BD

LOL @joegr

Wait ... you mean to tell me those cheap ECCP China made coils are no good right out of the box?

Did we post this information on this great forum already? Yes we did, over and over and over again.

OEM only, as always.

Well, there is no guarantee that they are all of your issue, or even any of it. However, there is a lot of experience here that says the cheap coils are a big problem. It could be that they have damaged your repaired PCM. It could be that the RFI from them is confusing your PCM, or it could be the your current problem is completely unrelated. Maybe your solenoid assembly or valve body is failing, or maybe its even worse.
From the symptoms that you relate, all of these things and more are possible. More diagnosis is needed. Personally, I'd put known (OEM) good coils in first, but if you spend the $400 and it doesn't fix it, I won't be there to refund it.

... Maybe your solenoid assembly or valve body is failing, or maybe its even worse ...

Like worn servo bore, that's always a hoot.

Pinks,
as Joe is trying to convey, these Lincoln LS'es are prone to doing weird things whenever they are misfiring.
Often we get folks complaining of trans or other related issues. First foremost thing is to ensure it's not misfiring and full of vacuum leaks. Fuel and intake filters need to be fresh and clean as well. Those ECCP coils are guaranteed to be crap! Run too long with marginal misfiring coils and it can "potentially" ruin your PCM and Catalytic converters. Both those, when damaged will and can contribute or be the root cause of your issues. We are "suggesting" that you ensure your coils are not misfiring before spending money elsewhere. Not because we are trying to waste your money but merely due to the fact that if they are not in good shape it's of no use attempting to diagnose the harsh shifting.

Having Ford Flash your PCM does nothing other then bring it up to date. Ford can Flash a faulty PCM and take your money all they want. Did they remove the PCM, send it out and have it bench inspected, tested and repaired? ... I think not.

Think about the folks that have had reman trans put in and still had shifting issues afterwards. Cheaper to send a PCM out for inspection/repair before buying into "you need a new transmission".

Members online

No members online now.
Back