guys in a big jam really need help

Many years ago in my Merc I slid into the rear end of a Neon that some chick had slammed the brakes on in front of me for no reason. I lightly hit her and only put two 'lil holes from my emblems in her bumper cover. I told her I'd pay the damage to avoid an insurance claim for both of us (no fault up here.) She agreed and I told her to get a few quotes. The middle quotes was about $600 so we went with that and I found out later her relatives own the body shop! She walked away happy from that I'm sure... She also had written off 5 cars in past two years! lol... Not much I could do but pay...

yea man, if you hit his rear quarter than you are probly screwed.. i agree its wierd he didnt want the cops there, eaither he is really nice, or he just wants to pocket the cash. either way, you are screwed. 1500 sounds fair to me for rear quarter damage. that is unfortunatly the WORST place to have damage, that and the B pillar..

You can call the cops. She's not drunk now, so they would have to prove that she was drunk at the time. Then it still becomes his word to yours but at least she wont go to jail and you wont have to pay him.

WTF?

he said it was already damaged?

$200? i would say you are done with him.

tell him to get lost

You can call the cops. She's not drunk now, so they would have to prove that she was drunk at the time. Then it still becomes his word to yours but at least she wont go to jail and you wont have to pay him.

I would do this too!!!

WTF?

he said it was already damaged?

$200? i would say you are done with him.

tell him to get lost

But then again if he said it was already damaged than I would say screw him!!

Cops will not do anything now, they would want to know why he did not call at the time of the accident. At this point it is word against word, and the lack of damage to the truck would go to support your side rather than his.

this is why i would have called the cops. It never does any good to be nice these days. You hit his car, you didn't have insurance, you were drunk. You gave him 200 and now screw him on a 1500 estimate? He's saved you that in tickets and court cost.

Anything less than $5000 goes to small claims court...you think he wants to hire a lawyer..waste his time, and then you don't show up to court anyway, if there's no police report within "x" number of days (check
your state laws) then there is usually no grounds for suit...also check court appeals,
all this information is available to you at your local public library, in the legal section...
Nobody that I know of on this site is a board certified attorney...do some research before you make your decision

this is why i would have called the cops. It never does any good to be nice these days. You hit his car, you didn't have insurance, you were drunk. You gave him 200 and now screw him on a 1500 estimate? He's saved you that in tickets and court cost.
X eleventybillion

And it all comes out of his discombobulated brain....

Oh and Bill... I found that thingy, painted it, and am putting it back on the other deal, so my do-hickeys quit doing that stuff they was doin the other night

(that there's a perfect LVC explaination of what's going on! Rofl)

I agree. Anyone who does not want me to call the cops is going to get the cops called. I had a guy who hit me back in 1994 beg and plead for me not to call the cops. I did anyway and found out he had no license or insurance. Luckily my insurance paid and went after him later. I was told if I had not called the cops they would not have paid under uninsured motorist coverage and I would have been responsible for the damage.

Is it likely you will ever see this person again?

dude not for nothin, you left the scene no cops called, tell him you want something that makes sense or your just gonna walk, not really much he can do now. your word against his... maybe he backed into your car... F him if he is trying to screw you. you already gave him 200, if there is no damage to his truck tell him to screw..

rhode island in the house lol

Leaving the Scene of an Accident Involving only Property Damage - Penalties

If you are involved in an accident that results in damage to a vehicle or other property, you are required by Kansas law to stop and exchange information with the other driver. Failing to do so can get you charged with a Class C misdemeanor which carries a potential sentence of one month in jail and up to $500.

But.....

He took $200. (You have the witness) There is no down payment on damages while information is being exchanged. I'd buff away your damages completely and turn it into a he said, she said. If something is brought up about it, he said $200 would cover it because he already had previous damages. I have no faith in the system anymore ever since I got a ticket for having "legal" window tint and a ticket for not having a tint compliance sticker (not in my job description) and had to pay $100 on each ticket. Don't think about the guy that was hit. If the system doesn't have any way to get money, then you have nothing to worry about. You exchanged information and you paid cash on the spot. Case closed!

Ya but

Ya but he has my address so I think i will agree to pay half. Just because i don't want him coming to my house and fu**ing up my car. Thats only fair i guess because i have no idea how much damage was already there. So i will not pay to fix all of it when he already had damage done to it before.

If he comes to your house and messes with your car....that's what they make GUNS for

If you are afraid he'll mess up your car, install a security camera.

Camera...and a gun...use both...we want videos! We want videos!

Members online

No members online now.
Back