gutting cats

viiiball

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I think 1 cat is clogged so I am going to gut em this weekend....AGAIN....how do you do this? I know one side is welded one is bolted...I know this topic is driven into the ground...but help me out 1 last time .....thanks in advance guys!!!!!!!!! :give

Tool list

1.15mm Deep socket
2.8-12 inch extension
3.Universal adapter
4.3/8ths ratchet
5. 2 ft. piece of pipe 1-1 1/2 in diameter
6.Small sledgehammer
7.LONG needle nose pliars helps but not necessary

Undoing the exhaust in three places lets you pull the Y out from under the car and makes the job a whole lot easier.
Undo it after the cat on the driver side, before the cat on the passenger side and after the resonator in the middle.All bolts are 15mm.
To get to the passenger side you will need the extension and the universal adapter.
While pulling the exhaust down you will need to unclip the harness on the passenger side before you pull it out from under the car.

Once the Y is out from under the car you can start beating the stuffing out of it.
Take the piece of pipe and the hammer and start beating the insides out.Its going to take a while and your arm WILL get tired but dont quit untill you get all of it out of BOTH cats on the Y
Once you get that all done you need to climb under the car and do the same to the remaining cat on the driver side.
Once you get everything out feel free to start the car and once it builds oil pressure give it a couple nice revs to blow out the remaining dust.(Its also nice to hear your nice quiet Lincoln uncorked and sounding like a monster)

Now all you have to do is put it all back together.

VIIIBall -- when you do yours, please take pics -- you and Chris can joinly author an article for the upcoming tech section.

Joeychgo said:
VIIIBall -- when you do yours, please take pics -- you and Chris can joinly author an article for the upcoming tech section.

Hell yeah! :steering

i'll be starting this later today or tommorrow morning,and i'll post pics or send em in for the tech forum, im not a great photogopher but ill do my best! :V

driller said:
Hell yeah! :steering

Is it legal to gut cats in the US?
I know in Australia if your caught with a gutted cat it's about a $20,000 fine!! :eek:

In Illinois, if you are caught removing a catalytic converter, it's $50,000 a cat. Shops usually won't touch the things, unless they're installing OEM replacements.

drjekel_mrhyde said:
can you pass the epa test with gutted cats
Well, it they are remotely similar (and I believe they are) to the Aust. ones they you will fail..miserably. The Cat is a critical part of the emmissions system, without it, your emmissions will be through the roof.

You could concieveably pass. By the hair of your nuts and if you detune the car to the point of failure. You have to run as lean as possible to ensure NO HC's come out of that tailpipe. I would be interested in taking a voucher test with no cats installed just to see what would happen. Probably get arrested....

I passed with flying colors after gutting my cats.
Only difference is I had been running nitrous, which cleaned the deposits off of the valvesa little.
The guy actually told me it was one of the cleanest burning cars he had EVER smogged.Cleaner thean a brand new car.

H'mm My car has 74,000 on it. Seems to be running fine. I use Amoco or Bp premium.
I think it is starting to smell Llike rotton eggs. Is that after it is warmed up?
Chris Are you talking about A LSC, or are both the Same?

Last edited by a moderator:
sergmark said:
H'mm My car has 74,000 on it. Seems to be running fine. I use Amoco or Bp premium.
I think it is starting to smell Llike rotton eggs. Is that after it is warmed up?

Usually.

At first you notice the smell after a hard accelaration.After awhile you smell it more frequently.

Wow Speedy answer :W
I think I remember it was cold just started up. Thanks Man!!

I still think that a high flow cat is better. If you can't afford it I understand, but you can get a hig-flow from summit for <$100. And you're helping preserve the environment, ALOT. You can say "I'm just one person" and all that, but every little bit adds up. Just my 2¢ though.

The only thing is the way the factory exhaust is, you cant really get to the driver side to remove it and weld in a new one, as its part of the header/exhaust manifold.

unstoppable said:
The only thing is the way the factory exhaust is, you cant really get to the driver side to remove it and weld in a new one, as its part of the header/exhaust manifold.

Well that does suck.

JoshMcMadMac said:
I still think that a high flow cat is better. If you can't afford it I understand, but you can get a hig-flow from summit for <$100. And you're helping preserve the environment, ALOT. You can say "I'm just one person" and all that, but every little bit adds up. Just my 2¢ though.
what you mean high flow cats from summit and do they have a website

i bought hi flow cats with everything but headers from speedfreak.com,then i had 3rd.cat trouble,got past that,now i cant find anyone willing to cut the driver side one off,i may have to buy the whole manifold for that side,and fabricate the cat onto it myself,if i could do it again,i wouldn't have even bought the cats and just gutted the factory ones,there's always a trick or 5 or 6 to get through emissions.

Members online

Back