guarentee you havent seen this problem yet. :@

lincolnlogs

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
im dangerously close to selling this so called "luxury" car.
95,000 miles on it.
2002 LS8 STOCK
valve cover gaskets and seals - DONE
all 8 COP's - DONE
8 brand new plugs
NO CEL - EVER

brand new plugs and cop's, dry plug bellow's, ran good for 5 days (200mi)

NOW....

at a stop light, light turns green.. NORMAL acceleration.. once i get to 1/4+ throttle it acts like ive let off it completely. jam it to the floor it just acts like it would if i was on ice with the traction control. does absolutely nothing. if i let off of it to the 1/4ish throttle range it will pick back up. and if i keep it their to get up to speed(slowly) it is fine and shifts fine. occasionally i can get it to do it when i slam it to the floor it will chug and spit and then take off like a corvette. but when i do that - it sticks in 5th gear and wwont fall out unless i do it manually. and EVERTIME it sticks in gear it STAYS reved up. i will pull it into a parking spot, put it in park.. and it will stay at a steady 3100RPM. shut it off, turn it back on, same thing. next day - its fine, until i try and push it past 1/4 throttle. does it with or without tractoion control on. i cant speed up to pass, nothing. it falls flat as soon as it gets past 1/4 throttle. OCCASIONALLY i can get it to act normal if i feather it past the 1/4... but 90% of the time its a no go. i dont believe its a trans issue because it will do it in park when i try and "snap" the throttle it will rev till i get to that spot and cut completely.

WHAT IS GOING ON?@$%#:mad::mad::mad::confused:

ive got ideas from a fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, TPS sensor, plugged cats?
but dont have money to blow buying all of them.

I used magnaflow cats, 90 bucks a piece, much less than the 900 for oem ones, I am decently pleased with the product, not at all pleased with their customer service, but that has nothing to do with the cats themselves.

U don't have the cel light on? If it is, Stop by an advance auto, auto zone, or oreillys and get it scanned for free, it sounds like the tps for sure if the throttle is not responding with u pressing the pedal. Good luck.

Ahh, just seen the no cel ever part, that sucks... welcome to my world of troubleshooting the Lincoln. All I can say is find someone with a good scanner like a snapon or matco and see if there is any pending codes that haven't surfaced yet' , they will also be able to measure/monitor resistance changes on the tips and fuel pump. There are some awesome scanners out there but they are high and you will prolly need to pay to get it scanned. I have my own electrical nightmare with my mark viii, I'm not giving up in fixing mine yet.

sounds like when my cats where plugged

thats what im worried about.. wont they glow hot as hell? it has a lot of power once it gets up... but plugged cat wouldnt cause it to hesitate and stumble would it? exhaust flow seems decent.. ? is there a way to unhook the cats just to do a test drive? without cutting them?

thats what im worried about.. wont they glow hot as hell? it has a lot of power once it gets up... but plugged cat wouldnt cause it to hesitate and stumble would it? exhaust flow seems decent.. ? is there a way to unhook the cats just to do a test drive? without cutting them?

Remove the two front O2 sensors and do a test drive. The holes that the sensors were removed from will allow enough exhaust out to make a difference if the cats are plugged.

You could also try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it runs better that way. If it does, the MAF is bad or dirty.

All of this assumes that your RPMs aren't jumping up when you have this problem. If they are, then it's transmission.

All of this assumes that your RPMs aren't jumping up when you have this problem. If they are, then it's transmission.

When he said that it acts like it's on ice when he floors it led me to believe that is what's happening...

I don't know a lot about transmissions....so I would be guessing...but torque converter comes to mind.

Remove the two front O2 sensors and do a test drive. The holes that the sensors were removed from will allow enough exhaust out to make a difference if the cats are plugged.

You could also try unplugging the MAF sensor and see if it runs better that way. If it does, the MAF is bad or dirty.

That's what I did and noticeable difference.

As far as glowing red, typically, lift it up and rev the motor and then check to see if they red or glowing at all

Also the maf seems to cause wierd issues when bad or dirty

On the exhaust... a normal exhaust will pulse. If you put your hand over it it will feel like a series of pulses at idle. If it feels smooth, the cats are most likely bad. Sorry, right now I'm sick and am trying a whiskey with a Nyquil chaser to cure right now, best I can come up with. Damned glad I can touch type or I'd look like kjsdbfkjsdjfkajsvjsd right now... :D

thank u very much!! i will unplug the maf before i drive to class and give that a shot!

RPMS drop to like 1200 and stay, unless i feather the throttle around. it acts EXACTLY like a TPS issue. except for the trans stickin in gear

check throttle cable?

sounds like a throttle issue due to the rpms gettin 'stuck'.

check cable, clean throttle body with CRC brand teflon safe variety. likely has a mechanical malfunction since no code. but i dont know much about the 02 and prior throttle.. wouldnt it throw a 'stuck' code if he floored it and it didnt go to WOT? my 05v6 would go to failsafe if it did what he is describing..
i have seen stuck open and stuck closed codes, but i would imagine it would throw a code if the throttle plate wasnt where it was supposed to be..

might as well clean maf and airfilter while youre cleaning throttle body.

If you suspect something wrong with trans it is easy to add the Motorcraft Friction Modifier, XL-3 to oil. Can't hurt @ all, but may take awhile to see improvement. Many have had good luck with it. Other suggestions about other fixes are good lessons learned also!

An old troubleshooting maxim is 'Last Thing First'

I would pop the hood and verify everything around the coils to other plugs that could have been bumped while you did the other work and just took five days to start screwing up.

I would also consider pulling the spark plugs and checking everything from the insulator color and gap to how well the COP latches onto the plug.

Might also be worth while to reset the puter by disconnecting the battery for a while.

One thing you didn't mention is why you did the coil work?

As long as you are under there check all your vacuum lines. I had one pull out of the connector once and it caused all sorts of bizarre issues. An easy way to test them is by spraying starter fluid or similar on them one at a time, if the engine revs you know you have a leak.

I used magnaflow cats, 90 bucks a piece, much less than the 900 for oem ones, I am decently pleased with the product, not at all pleased with their customer service, but that has nothing to do with the cats themselves.

Where do you get the cats for 90 bucks? I need a new right side cat for my 05 v6.

from summit, they have both the O2 and the catalyst sensor bungs already in, however they are not a direct fit.

joe,

unplugged the MAF and it would barely run at all. maybe keep it plugged in but remove the maf from intake?

exhaust pulses seem strong on drivers side, passenger side still pulsing but theres less exhaust flow on that side it seems.

both seem to vibrate pretty good. took a video - post it below for ya guys..

Members online

Back