Got my car back after the wreck. Need some opinions

kurtisj4162

LVC Member
Reaction score
I got my car back after someone backed into me. The total cost was over $4500. When they painted it the had to take off the chrome things on the fenders. Do you think I should have them put back on or no? I personally like them but also think it looks good without them.

wreckup.jpgfixed.jpg0125151649.jpg 20150424_172722.jpg

0125151649.jpg

fixed.jpg

wreckup.jpg

20150424_172722.jpg

tacky and cheap... an insult to the car... There's a special place in hell for people that use them on LS's

I mean... na, leave them off

Unless you have a secret longing for a Buick, leave them off. Or put them back on and then finish off with the little dingle-balls around the inside of the back window.

KS

I think it's unanimous, leave them off.

Incidentally, if you do decide to put them back on, the portholes are supposed to be reminiscent of the days when Buick had the exhaust headers coming out of the hood. Therefore, to do it properly you want 3 to a side for a V6, 4 to a side for a V8. I hate seeing those things stuck on anything, but what really gets my goat about it is when they stick 3 ports on a V8. That's like double duty disgusting.

lol ok guys I get it. The previous owner had them put on and I didnt think it looked bad, but I will leave them off.

oh come on, put them back on! it'll be fun!
Maybe some chrome stick on pillars to complete the look, will blend right in with all those wind deflectors.

BTW - did you get two new headlamps out of the deal, or did they escape damage in the incident? (sorry, I have a bit of head&tail lamp fetish)

Hey now, dont be talkin trash about my wind deflectors -_- they came with the car and i happen to enjoy them. But NO i didnt get anew headlamp. they replaced the left one with a used one which cost them over $900 and it still doesnt look as good as the original.

I say leave it off. I hate those things myself, I only think they look good on the Buick Lucerne and Lacrosse Super, but those are real ports, not just stick on fakes. In the end though, it's your car and you should do what you like, I say it looks good without so why put the time and effort to put them back on.

Weren't those meant to mimic the BMW Z3??

Z3 has gills. I always thought they made their 'fashionable' comeback with the 5th Quattroporte. If we're being honest here, Buick stole the design from Pininfarina...

Really?

http://www.buickpartsdirectory.com/portholes.htm

Incidentally, turns out I was wrong about what the inspiration was.
Most of the resent Buicks, such as 03-05 Park Avenue Ultra, and all the new cars, portholes were fake stick ons, but the 06-11 Lucerne and 08-09 Lacrosse Super had real ones. In Lucerne, 3 ports on each side designated the V6, and 4 ports on each side designates the V8. Lacrosse Super just has 4 on each side being that it was only a V8.
buick_lucerne-cxl_06_port.jpg

buick_lucerne-cxl_06_port.jpg

Man those window things are horrible... I guess if you smoke and want to flick ash out or something? But then there is really no point in the one on the roof, either.

Sorry not trying to bust your balls, rock what you like!

PS, shop did a great job on the repair.

real heat extractors = pretty cool

fake vents that don't look anywhere near close to real = not cool at all/borderline trashy

borderline ? way too much credit given ;)

lol, I was trying to be nice, I've been told its an area i should work on... lol

now real vents... man, I'm pretty sure i spent a good hour and a half looking at my hood today, every other month or so I need to talk my self out of cutting some holes into the hood! I swear the more i look at it, the more I think I could make a set of 13 mustang heat extractors fit and look damn good! (prior to that model, I'm always looking through junk yards for something that
I think would work) i just feel like having an aluminum hood is just going to make it a lot harder to get the finished product to look as good as I want, and cutting holes is a one way trip! lol

you should, that way i can see how good it looks without screwing up my hood! lol

i have no doubt i could get the looks I want if the hood was glass, but no where near as easy with aluminum.

Members online

Back