Good by to all.

... I don't mind trying to keep one '06 in good order (we're babying that one now as it only has ~71K miles), but 2 seemed like pushing it to me.

On the other hand, having two of them can help with troubleshooting some problems.

Agree with the other posters... Getting rid of a car because you couldn't locate parking aid module?! That is more firstworldproblem than I have ever seen on this forum. And here I am trying to bring back to life my LS with twice the mileage and two wrecks. Scavenging junkyards and ebay for parts.

I guess it just shows the real disconnect between people who are willing to get their hands dirty versus people who take their car to the dealer for oil changes. [no offense to you guys who use dealer services]

I take my ls to the dealer for oil changes, I mean it is 22 bucks for a motorcraft semi synthetic change. I can't buy the oil my self for that price seeing as you need 7-8 quarts and a filter.

It is the only thing cheaper at the dealer, that and tires are all it goes in for. (turns out I don't have a tire machine yet)

Your dealer changed your oil for 22 bucks?! Is that part of some deal for buying from them or something? That seems absurdly cheap, but props to you for finding that - it is definitely a good deal.

I just got the same oil and filter from autozone for just under 50 bucks. And obviously I did the labor myself.

I would never replace a wear part with another wear part; that just delays the inevitable.

With no aftermarket support, soon that will be the only way to keep it going.

The main reasons I sold my '06 was the shrinking availability of parts and it's value was plummeting the more miles I racked-up (sold it with just shy of 140K). I don't mind trying to keep one '06 in good order (we're babying that one now as it only has ~71K miles), but 2 seemed like pushing it to me.

Probably should have kept the one to keep the other one running.

Yeah, I mean I change my own oil as a matter of principle, and I have made the investment into the required tools/equipment a long time ago. With that being said, if I didn't have those things already and had no desire to change my own oil, some dealer oil change rates are really competitive.

On the other hand, having two of them can help with troubleshooting some problems.

Or keep the older one until it dies/cost too much to fix, then keep it as a parts car for the other

Your dealer changed your oil for 22 bucks?! Is that part of some deal for buying from them or something? That seems absurdly cheap, but props to you for finding that - it is definitely a good deal.

I just got the same oil and filter from autozone for just under 50 bucks. And obviously I did the labor myself.

same price for anyone, I used to work there and still have family there. But when I was doing oil changes some time ago it was free for me and 20 bucks for everyone else. It then went to 24 and people complained ( I know nothing to complain about at 24 bucks) and back to 22. They use it as a way to get people in and try to upsell them, many times it worked. I hated that they would pressure us to try to sell **** people didn't really need. They would try to con people into wipers and filters and tires long before it's truly needed. I thought it was weird because the actual service center wasn't event that pushy. But what ever, I know better and tell them to only touch the oil, nothing else.

I suspect that this was not the real reason, just one of the straws. If you don't like your car or just want something different, then you are just looking for excuses to get rid of it.

Absolutely not true, the Mrs and I loved the LS. With only 59.5k on it was just broken in and still like new. I hated to part with it and have always been a Ford advocate but today it was the Parking Aid Module and tomorrow it might have been the Nav System or the Seat Heat/Cooling system.

The writing was on the wall. Ford did not care for its bastard child. We dumped it while we could still get a little something for it and bought something that has a stellar reputation for performance, reliability, mileage and resale value.

I have been a Ford guy all my life and have hesitated to buy foreign, but facts are facts. Besides that, the Mrs is not a car enthusiast. She just wants something that she can count on and not have them tell her they cannot repair it.

Absolutely not true, the Mrs and I loved the LS. With only 59.5k on it was just broken in and still like new. I hated to part with it and have always been a Ford advocate but today it was the Parking Aid Module and tomorrow it might have been the Nav System or the Seat Heat/Cooling system.

The writing was on the wall. Ford did not care for its bastard child. We dumped it while we could still get a little something for it and bought something that has a stellar reputation for performance, reliability, mileage and resale value.

I have been a Ford guy all my life and have hesitated to buy foreign, but facts are facts. Besides that, the Mrs is not a car enthusiast. She just wants something that she can count on and not have them tell her they cannot repair it.

Agree 100%.

Or you might have heard a rattle and realized your license plate screws were coming loose. If you're not car-savvy you WILL be taken advantage of. NOTHING can't be repaired. Find a competent mechanic/garage and go on with your life.

KS

Or you might have heard a rattle and realized your license plate screws were coming loose. If you're not car-savvy you WILL be taken advantage of. NOTHING can't be repaired. Find a competent mechanic/garage and go on with your life.

KS

Unless the parts aren't available.....

Then something comparable fits. Witness your 'unavailable' module. They ARE still in the parts chain and also available, for much less money, in the aftermarket.

Try driving, on an everyday basis, a fifty year old vehicle. I bought a '63 F100 Ford truck about 1980 and for most of the time I owned it, it was a DD.

KS

Then something comparable fits. Witness your 'unavailable' module. They ARE still in the parts chain and also available, for much less money, in the aftermarket.

Try driving, on an everyday basis, a fifty year old vehicle. I bought a '63 F100 Ford truck about 1980 and for most of the time I owned it, it was a DD.

KS

I'll wager more F100's were produced (and stayed on the road longer) than LSes...... I'll also wager I could keep my old '65 (actually 64 1/2) Mustang in parts long after the last LS is crushed. It's always going to be a demand and supply issue.

Strangely enough, I think that the radar sensor on my 06 has failed. (The two close distance ultrasonics still seem to be working.)

And, Joe, I'm sure we're in agreement that getting rid of the car because a sensor's failed is akin to getting rid of the car because the ashtray's full.

KS

And, Joe, I'm sure we're in agreement that getting rid of the car because a sensor's failed is akin to getting rid of the car because the ashtray's full.

KS

Only if it's dirty, needs an oil change, a brake job and tires simultaneously......

My question is how many mechanical/electronic failures and "non replaceable" parts searches am I willing to do before throwing in the towel?

It took over a year to get my 03 TBird running back to normal.

KS

We are.

How can you tell??

It's still working for short distances (0 to 3 or 4 feet), but it is no longer beeping for something further away than that. Up until a week or so ago, it would beep when I was backing out of a parking space and someone drove by.
The part is still available, but it's not worth the $261 for a new one (to me). I'm also not sure about $90 for a used one that may fail before too long. I'm thinking I can live without that feature (I have a backup camera anyway).

It's still working for short distances (0 to 3 or 4 feet), but it is no longer beeping for something further away than that. Up until a week or so ago, it would beep when I was backing out of a parking space and someone drove by.
The part is still available, but it's not worth the $261 for a new one (to me). I'm also not sure about $90 for a used one that may fail before too long. I'm thinking I can live without that feature (I have a backup camera anyway).

I wonder if the same folks that do the PCM repairs for these cars might not be able to fix your module, if you think it's the problem. Might be worth a call. SIA Electronics.

Members online

No members online now.
Back