Good by to all.

boomyal

LVC Member
Reaction score
We did not leave Lincoln (Ford) Lincoln left us. My wife just traded her 2005 Lincoln LS in on a Lexus RX350. Her Lincoln had 59.5K miles on it and it looked and drove like new.

Earlier this year her back up parking aid quit working. The dealer diagnosed it as a defective parking aid module. Ford has quit servicing that part and there were none to be had at any dealers across the USA. Also there are no aftermarket replacements for the part.

So, as sad as it was to part with it, in the end it cost Lincoln a repeat or future customer.

It's only going to get worse. I've recommended this before but anyone who loves this car and has the room would do well to start trying to pick up additional LS's to keep their cars on the road longer. I would have to wonder though, if SIA who is able to fix the PCMs might have been able to do anything with the parking aid. The one in my car doesn't work when it's over 80 degrees outside but I have no intention of getting it fixed. That will be a job for the next owner.

Ford Parts Manager here. Who told you the part was NLA? I see 53 available modules from MULTIPLE sources on the parts locator. Incidentally, this module is the same part number from 7/14/2003 to the LS model run out in 2006. It only costs $169.

There are many reasons to trade in a car, but I've never heard of something so trivial as this.

And BTW, it's because of the car's roots. Honestly, the LS should have never been, but Ford sold it anyway. It's like the bastard child of two car companies of which one begrudgingly participated. My '89 town car was not even half the car the LS is, but parts were available when I bought it in '03 until I sold it in '08... Some 19~20 years after the car was made.

Ford Parts Manager here. Who told you the part was NLA? I see 53 available modules from MULTIPLE sources on the parts locator. Incidentally, this module is the same part number from 7/14/2003 to the LS model run out in 2006. It only costs $169.

It was a Service Team Mgr from Landmark Ford/Lincoln in Tigard Oregon. He stated flat out that the LS part was not used on any other vehicle. I would have thought that he would not have made that all up out of whole cloth but that he got his information from the parts dept.

As for being a trivial reason, the Mrs is not a car 'enthusiast', per se. Once you get used to a feature that is so helpful and one that is so common place today, you just do not want to be without it.

Also the lack of that one part made us wonder what would happen when the next gadget or system quit working.

....My '89 town car was not even half the car the LS is,.....

No doubt the LS was wonderful and beautiful creation but because of their uniqueness and their low numbers I think they are being quickly relegated to an enthusiast type vehicle.

This is not the kind of vehicle that the Mrs wants to rely on for her everyday needs.

However much I enjoyed driving that car, I can't help but wonder if the LS will not be one of those cars that 20 years from now, one might say, I sure wish I still had that car.

No doubt the LS was wonderful and beautiful creation but because of their uniqueness and their low numbers I think they are being quickly relegated to an enthusiast type vehicle.

This is not the kind of vehicle that the Mrs wants to rely on for her everyday needs.

However much I enjoyed driving that car, I can't help but wonder if the LS will not be one of those cars that 20 years from now, one might say, I sure wish I still had that car.
I'm sure it will be. It's crazy how many people still tell me how much they've always loved how the LS looks. The guy that did the safety inspection over the weekend was just a little kid when the LS came out. He grew up loving them, and amazed me he knew what kind of car it was when I pulled into the lot. There's that equally unimpressive audience that still thinks it's a Mitsubishi.

This one certainly won't be saying that. The only vehicles I wish I'd have never sold was my 72 Buick Skylark, my 89 Camaro RS and my 79 GMC halfton. I also miss my 89 S15 pickup but that one was taken from me in an accident, it wasn't sold. Every other vehicle I've had has been OK but nothing special. The LS is at the top of my list of "Mistakes I Have Made." When it's gone I'll be a happier man, and in a year or two I'll never admit to having owned one.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - folks here who are LS enthusiasts and who have the room really should look into buying as many of these cars as you can to keep yours running. Parts are already starting to no longer be available at any price, and all one needs to do is go look up a Buick Reatta forum to see what the LS will be in about 20 years. The Reatta engine can be kept running forever because it used the GM 3.8 used in million of cars, just as the LS uses the Jag engine used in enough cars to keep it running. And, the trans is the same one used in the Explorer, so it can be maintained. The rest of the car though, gonna be impossible.

A side note, the windshield in the Reatta I had broke, to replace it I had to pay 2200 dollars (well, the insurance company did) and had to wait about 6 weeks while they made one. They still had the specs to make one, but there wasn't a one to be had in the nation. In about 20 more years, a one-off windshield for the LS will likely run 5 grand, so a rock chip would be enough to total the car. If the windshield in my car had cost any more, my insurance company might have totaled the car.

I never sold a car that I've regretted selling. I've liked every car that I've owned but I've owned them long enough that when I move on its time to move on.

1986 - today; 1978 MGB
1987 - 1995; 1977 Ford Van sold with 250,000 miles of which I put on 150,000
1993 - 2003; 1987 Merkur XR4Ti sold with 280,000 miles of which I put on 205,000
1996 - 2009; 1990 Mustang sold with 150,000 miles which I put on 90,000
2003 - today; Lincoln LS has 182,000 miles which I put on 145,000
2009 - today; 2009 Ranger has 35,000 miles all mine

As far as a windshield totaling a car, Car and Drive had the price of a (not two but one) headlight assembly for a new Focus ST as listing for $1942 talk about an easy car to total.

As far as a windshield totaling a car, Car and Drive had the price of a (not two but one) headlight assembly for a new Focus ST as listing for $1942 talk about an easy car to total.

HID headlights are quite expensive. That's about right for an HID light from any manufacturer. The assembly for my 535 is about $1300.

... The assembly for my 535 is about $1300.

No fair, the right HID assembly for the LS is at $1446.14, and the left is $1558.18 right now. You get auto leveling for $200 or so less.

Joe, I bet the auto-leveling mechanism is not part of the assembly. I could be wrong though.

anytime i've ever seen it, the beam is being internally adjusted.

No fair, the right HID assembly for the LS is at $1446.14, and the left is $1558.18 right now. You get auto leveling for $200 or so less.

And adaptive.... Nothing like seeing the light swivel with the steering input!!

Joe, I bet the auto-leveling mechanism is not part of the assembly. I could be wrong though.

I'll bet you are wrong. Look it up. There are little motors in the headlight assembly. The whole assembly doesn't move, just some of the inside of it. (At least that's how it works on the E46.)

I'll bet you are wrong. Look it up. There are little motors in the headlight assembly. The whole assembly doesn't move, just some of the inside of it. (At least that's how it works on the E46.)

Same with the F10......

Agree with the other posters... Getting rid of a car because you couldn't locate parking aid module?! That is more firstworldproblem than I have ever seen on this forum. And here I am trying to bring back to life my LS with twice the mileage and two wrecks. Scavenging junkyards and ebay for parts.

I guess it just shows the real disconnect between people who are willing to get their hands dirty versus people who take their car to the dealer for oil changes. [no offense to you guys who use dealer services]

Agree with the other posters... Getting rid of a car because you couldn't locate parking aid module?! ...

I suspect that this was not the real reason, just one of the straws. If you don't like your car or just want something different, then you are just looking for excuses to get rid of it.

Agree with the other posters... Getting rid of a car because you couldn't locate parking aid module?! That is more firstworldproblem than I have ever seen on this forum. And here I am trying to bring back to life my LS with twice the mileage and two wrecks. Scavenging junkyards and ebay for parts.

I guess it just shows the real disconnect between people who are willing to get their hands dirty versus people who take their car to the dealer for oil changes. [no offense to you guys who use dealer services]

I would never replace a wear part with another wear part; that just delays the inevitable. The main reasons I sold my '06 was the shrinking availability of parts and it's value was plummeting the more miles I racked-up (sold it with just shy of 140K). I don't mind trying to keep one '06 in good order (we're babying that one now as it only has ~71K miles), but 2 seemed like pushing it to me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back