Gonna do some hydrodip Mark......

blowngt

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So the car is finally in the body shop for paint, and I've been wanting to do something different in the interior.

I picked up a bezel in decent shape to experiment on. I've got it all fixed up and in primer, now the question is do I keep the traditional Cherry wood color, or try something like this:

1cue.jpg

I would like to have it a bit darker (with less grey), but similar. I've got both films and they both look good on test parts, just not sure if I'm going to like it better than the traditional finish

Thoughts??

I went with the black burlwood in my car and I love it. It looked significantly darker in the online pics than what it ended up being, but it matches the interior perfectly. And the finish is amazing.

intgrey2.jpg

intgrey.jpg

intgrey3.jpg

intgrey.jpg

intgrey2.jpg

intgrey3.jpg

That looks almost exactly what I'm looking for.

It's hard to tell from the pics, but what color base coat is that?

Diego its me Marvin the guy who bought your LMS mufflers. Dude let us know when your car is done so we can all meet up at tower shops. Ill get a few of my friends to come also.

I wish I knew what base color. I had a conversation with the guy who did it about it looking so much lighter than I expected and he said that the lighter base was recommended because the pattern wouldn't show through otherwise. I would much prefer that it was darker, but I do like it. I have a stinking suspicion that he used what he had, rather than the pattern that I requested. It was supposed to be Grey Birdseye #161. This is what it should have looked like:

wtp-161.jpg

wtp-161.jpg

I wish I knew what base color. I had a conversation with the guy who did it about it looking so much lighter than I expected and he said that the lighter base was recommended because the pattern wouldn't show through otherwise. I would much prefer that it was darker, but I do like it. I have a stinking suspicion that he used what he had, rather than the pattern that I requested. It was supposed to be Grey Birdseye #161. This is what it should have looked like:

View attachment 828462991

That looks pretty sweet. How much does he charge for that service?

Where do you have the purple light hidden that illuminates the shifter? Bills BMW had a red one in it and I wanted to do something like that in my Mark

Nice leg :D

Ummm... hehe, Sapper :D I used this guy at Bayou Graphix in Louisiana, but I think he might be shipped out right now. His wife tends to handle business when he's gone, but the website is non-functionous right now. He quoted me $75 for all three interior trim pieces which is shocking compared to everybody else. Hydrographics.com quoted $360 for the same job. The purple glow is just coming from all of my 12 SMD panel LEDs throughout the interior. They are just very nice and bright... and purple. :p

Here's the website: http://outrageoushydrographics.com/
Here's his email address: bayouh2ographix@yahoo.com
Here's his Facebook address: https://www.facebook.com/BayouH2oGraphix

LOL, he's got all the pics of my parts on his FB page. Kewl.

Ive gotta order more SMDs too, i think mine are 8s , not really bright enough in a black interior.

Thanks for the links, I'll give em a look. I was wanting carbon fiber, but can't find anyone that'll do it.

View attachment 828462991

I've got a few ideas I'll be playing around with next week. I'm thinking a dark grey or dark shadow grey. I'll post a few pics for anyone that cares.

Ive gotta order more SMDs too, i think mine are 8s , not really bright enough in a black interior.

Thanks for the links, I'll give em a look. I was wanting carbon fiber, but can't find anyone that'll do it.

I've got some carbon fiber ink coming next week for a few mustang parts I'm going to do (ordered gold carbon fiber by mistake). I'll post a pic on Monday.

Currently mine are piano gloss black.. I've got a spare set I'd like to do.something different with.. so either a dark grey/black carbon fiver look, or the black wood.

Here's some hydrographics I just recently had done...

photo%201.jpg

photo%203_1.jpg

Nice!! I'm unfamiliar with hydrographics. Do they handle the heat well? Didn't know you could use them on engine parts? I've been playing with my wife's bike for a while now and this look's like something that may be looking into!

From what I've seen on others, it holds up well.

It's basically a basecoat color, then the graphics applied with a water transfer printing process followed by a clearcoat.

From what I've seen on others, it holds up well.

It's basically a basecoat color, then the graphics applied with a water transfer printing process followed by a clearcoat.

Those parts you had done I know get hot! Have you tried them out yet? I know power coat is different then hydrographics. I would think the basecoat/clearcoat would wrinkle, burn off, turn black, melt or something!

Nope. I've seen all kinds of street rods with hydrodipped valve covers, etc. They use super high end automotive clear coat to finish all of the parts and I'm willing to bet that they are more durable than powdercoating. Some powders are not UV tough and I was warned of this after I had mine done. The length of time that my engine sees the sunlight shouldn't be an issue, but I don't believe it is with hydrodip. It's really cool stuff... and I am monumentally jealous of your parts, Driller. Hehehe. That timing cover... OOH. :p

I'm gonna have to try this on her bike! Just to see how well it holds up. Thank's for the link!!

Ok, I got the new patterns in. I'm going to play around with the grey base coat and burl wood some more, but right now I'm not liking it to much:

o870.jpg

With a darker brown base and burl:

5fkm.jpg

Also tried my hand on some carbon fiber. I've got a few extra interior pieces for my mustang I'm going to try it out on:

tsi0.jpg

I just got these pieces back yesterday from a local shop. Damn place took two months to get them done. Their excuse was that they were in the process of moving, which was true, but they told me three weeks due to that, then made numerous other promises they didn't keep. Anyway...

My plan was to just lighten my trim up some, because I thought the original was just too "90's bachelor pad", especially on 98 midnight gray. I wanted to stick with burl, as my thing is making cosmetic changes to the car that I think Ford would have done to them. I'm not into CF or any of the other wild stuff.

Unfortunately this wasn't what I had in mind. The biggest problem with these shops is that they steadfastly REFUSE to provide samples. There are so many variations, I suppose it's impossible, but still. The shop I went to of course had a bunch of CF samples and some ungodly trashy looking purple skulls and such nonsense, but the only thing they had for wood was a big keychain with about fifty clear plastic "chips" with the translucent films applied. In other words, they were USELESS! So I had to go by what was on the web site which was also USELESS.

Now that I've got them, I'm not at all pleased with the results. I wanted something much warmer looking.

What do you guys think? Be as brutal as you like... or am I just being too negative?

Luckily these are all spares, so I'm in no rush to install them.

hydro1.jpg

hydro2.jpg

hydro3.jpg

The work looks good. Is a bit light for my liking. I'm actually looking for something a bit darker than whats in the car now. I think I found the right base coat. We'll see tomorrow.

You mentioned the #1 thing I've learned from doing this myself. You need to have a sample becase there are to many variations when it comes to the finished product.

I don't know. Mine turned out much lighter than I wanted, but I really like it now. And I like yours, too. I think it's gorgeous. Very upscale and modern.

Members online

No members online now.
Back