Getting rid of the LS

tyler1313

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately the LS has to go. I have a 2000 V6 with 140000 miles and with the new cash for clunkers program I will get more money that way then selling it. I also need better gas mileage as I will be driving to the University of Cincinnati from Dayton every day. So before I turn it in I want to offer any parts that you guys may need. Any part besides the drivetrain. I have angel eye headlights, LSE grill, new fog light housings, 20 inch rims and tires (one tire would have to be replaced). I will be setting up some ebay pages for those items but any part that might just be a replacement I would be more than happy to part with it.

Just email me at smith3c8@email.uc.edu for any part you guys may be interested in.

I will post the links to the ebay pages once I set them up

do the angel eye'd headlights have cleared corners?

My understanding of the Cash for Clunkers law

Old car needs to get less than 18mpg (www.fueleconomy.gov).

This should be a combined 18 mpg (55% highway/45% city) A V8 LS just meets this requirement (15/22 = 18.15 mpg). The replacement car must be brand new and needs to average 4 mpg better than the old one for a $3500 voucher and 10 mpg better to get the $4500 voucher.

So trade in a V8 LS buy a new car getting 28 mpg combined and get $4500 for the LS. The trade in needs to legally able to operate on the road, have been owned by you for at least 12 months, be registered and insured for at least 12 months.

Overall an iffy proposition. An LS needs to be high miles or beat to be worth $3500, replacement car needs to be fairly small to get the 28 needed to get $4500. V6 LS do not qualify.

I've considered it for my 1990 5.0 Mustang. MPG is 18, while miles are low (150,000) body is rusting badly, could trade for 2010 Camaro (V6 6 speed manual gets 22) and get $3500, but would have to violate my philosophy of buying a car used that has high depreciation and low resale value (such as the LS or the late Merkur). So I soldier on with the LS for another 5 years, when it will have 200,000 and I'll look for either a used G8 (or the Chevy it becomes), CTS, or other RWD manual transmission vehicle that's cheap and has low miles.

First off the angel eyes do have the clear corners and are in very good condition however one ring sometimes is dimmer than the others so I have to test the connection before I set a price. So tomorrow I will test the connection, it could just be loose. Then I will set up an ebay page so if a couple of people want to bid you can.

As far as the bill, it is 18 mpg but the EPA recalculates the mpg based over the years. Cars will decrease their mpg over the years. So both the 2000 V6 and V8 are eligible for the program. The 2000 V6 is the only V6 that is eligible but I believe all the V8's are. here is a link to find your car and the combined mpg

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/Feg/findacar.htm

Here is a link to carster.com which has some pictures. I havent updated it in awhile but other than the radio its all ready to be sold.

http://www.carster.com/cgi/profile.cgi?profile_id=16243&car_id=2242

Looking forward to seeing the ebay links. What car do you have your eye on?

Hey guys sorry but I cant sell the parts yet, only because we dont know when the bill will go into effect. I thought it was July 1st but we went to the dealers and they dont know so I dont want to sell headlights and not be able to drive at night for a month. But once I can I will be more than happy to sell them, hopefully soon. As far as the rims or amp and subs, those I can sell now if anyone is interested.

I love how they "didn't know" it starts July 1st. Gotta love car salesmen.

how much for the shifter? assuming 1,2,3,D4, and D5 all work fine

As far as the bill, it is 18 mpg but the EPA recalculates the mpg based over the years. Cars will decrease their mpg over the years. So both the 2000 V6 and V8 are eligible for the program. The 2000 V6 is the only V6 that is eligible but I believe all the V8's are. here is a link to find your car and the combined mpg

Only V6's eligible are 2000's with select shift shift option, regular automatics and manuals are both at 19 under the new mpg rules so they are no good. NHTSA needs to write al the rules (which dealers participate, how the voucher is processed, how to ensure the car is scrapped, etc.) . They have 30 days to write the rules.

Still think its marginal, yes you get maybe $1500 more than the car is worth but you're locked into buying new which costs at least $1500 more than used and you're locked into getting a car that gets over 28 mpg combined (which maybe fine but you are limiting your choices).

Yeah all the 2000 LS's are eligible. But you dont have to buy a car that is 28 mpg. Thats if you want the $4500 rebate. If you find a car with 22 mpg you get a $3500 rebate. Yes the choices are limited but there are still some very nice choices out there. In fact the new camaro with 304 hp gets 22 mpg so it would be eligible. And yes you can get a cheaper used car but If you find the right car you can get the price down close to a nice used car and still get the warranty. I am looking at the Nissan Altima Coupes. Not sure what you guys think about them but I test drove the 4 cylinder and it had some power and drove very well. I need gas milage because Im driving from Dayton to Cincinnati everyday, so that car is perfect for me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back