Gen2 Heatshield Development Thread

hite337

Hite Performance
Reaction score
OK, I'm now into uncharted territory. I need to get this Gen2 heatshield developed. I know I can develop a heatshield for the K&N Typhoon intake but it already comes with a heatshield, IMO its not a very good heatshield. It doesnt seal up the engine bay completely. It is made of a thicker and stronger material but I still dont like it.

I need someone to take pictures of the intake tube and how it comes apart so I can plan on how I am going to build this thing. There is a local member (Bmxbang) who said he'd let me mock one up from his 2nd gen but I believe he has the factory air box. There is no need for a heatshield for the factory air box so I need to plan ahead before he comes over so I know how I am going to attach a cone filter to the factory intake tube.

I am also curious if there is a member close to the Kansas City are that has the K&N Typhoon intake kit and the KKM intake kit so I can develop one for those setups as well. I believe those are the only intake kits available for the 2nd gen. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for the help with this project and hopefully I will be able to offer this product to you all very soon.

I can get you pictures of anything you need. I have the typhoon. PM me

Calling all gen II guys! Give Hite a hand you won't regret it!

I sent him a Pm with my number to contact me so we can work something out.

Just installed mine K&N, here are some pictures. I also have a KKM so if you need any measurements from either of them just ask. The K&N heat shield is built really nice but there is a gap around the tube.

IMG_7584.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

Damn that looks sexy.

I was thinking to help out the cause, I could send him my unopened intake. I'll pay round trip shipping and maybe get a good deal or a free heatshield when my intake is returned. That way he has a hands on item, instead of the pictures.

Yes sir let me know if and when I can be assistance and we will work some thing out. But it is all factory under my hood like you said.

Just installed mine K&N, here are some pictures. I also have a KKM so if you need any measurements from either of them just ask. The K&N heat shield is built really nice but there is a gap around the tube.

IMG_7584.jpg

IMG_7589.jpg

I have the same setup and always assumed the gap around the tube is to allow a small amount of movement as the motor torques on the motor mounts.

I have the same setup and always assumed the gap around the tube is to allow a small amount of movement as the motor torques on the motor mounts.

Yes that's what its for. The tube has no wiggle at all so it needs room to move. That's going to be a problem if hite makes a heat shield for the K&N.

Rod, how do you like the intake? Thinking about getting that one or the typhoon.

Rod, how do you like the intake? Thinking about getting that one or the typhoon.

I really like it, looks great and sounds awesome. It has a little deeper tone then the KKM I just took off. Its worth the extra $100 to get the K&N over the KKM because of the heat shield and tube.

Yeah I probably wouldn't hear much of a difference, all stock exhaust for now.

Ok. I think developing the heatchield for the K&N Typhoon will have to wait. I dont think many people will be interested in it since the kit comes with a heatshield. The trim they use on the K&N shield looks cheap and doesnt bend very well IMO. Would anyone with the Typhoon kit even be interested in a different heatshield? I dont think it would be a whole lot different than the one the kit comes with.

I am going to concentrate on making a heatshield for the factory intake tube, at least for the moment. I need a picture of how the air filter box separates from the intake tube. I also need to know the inside and outside diameters of the intake tube pieces. This will help me tremendously so I can go buy a few parts before Bmxbang comes over with his 2nd gen. That way I'm prepared and he doesnt have to make multiple trips to my house for fitment. Thanks again guys.

Ok. I think developing the heatchield for the K&N Typhoon will have to wait. I dont think many people will be interested in it since the kit comes with a heatshield. The trim they use on the K&N shield looks cheap and doesnt bend very well IMO. Would anyone with the Typhoon kit even be interested in a different heatshield? I dont think it would be a whole lot different than the one the kit comes with.

I am going to concentrate on making a heatshield for the factory intake tube, at least for the moment. I need a picture of how the air filter box separates from the intake tube. I also need to know the inside and outside diameters of the intake tube pieces. This will help me tremendously so I can go buy a few parts before Bmxbang comes over with his 2nd gen. That way I'm prepared and he doesnt have to make multiple trips to my house for fitment. Thanks again guys.

I'll do a little digging and see what I can come up with for a simple pipe. Might be able to couple it with your heatshield for less then the K&N.

I'll do a little digging and see what I can come up with for a simple pipe. Might be able to couple it with your heatshield for less then the K&N.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It looks like it's going to need a mounting point for the MAF adapter. Thats going to add some cost. I do like the links you provided above, The second link may work if I knew inside and outside diameters of the intake pieces so I know which one to order.

One step closer to the accuator project is how I am gonna look at it. LOL.

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It looks like it's going to need a mounting point for the MAF adapter. Thats going to add some cost. I do like the links you provided above, The second link may work if I knew inside and outside diameters of the intake pieces so I know which one to order.

Financially, it isn't that feasible to make your own pipe. Here's the rough breakdown:

K&N Cone Filter: $50
3.5" alum MAF adapter: $65
30-degree alum elbow: $25
-6 AN alum pipe nipple: $2
-10 AN alum pipe nipple: $2
3.5" silicone coupler x2: $20
3.5" worm clamps x4: $8

So just making an intake pipe is $172 plus shipping. And say your heatshield is another $55, that brings it up to $227 + shipping. You also have to weld the nipples to the elbow and alternatively to the MAF adapter if you want a one-piece.

The one nice thing about building it myself is I could put a honeycomb filter in it aka "laminar flow device" which helps with MAF readings and throttle response. It's $15 extra. The other nice thing is it would be all aluminum and could be powder coated or painted. I would probably take a piece of 1" thinwall rubber tube and glue it around the pipe to hold the filter end of the pipe and allow flexing.

Will you still end up with 15 extra horsepower? I dunno. But it wouldn't be hard to make.

Thanks for the research Kumba. Heres my question. In the pic below, does the factory intake tube separate where the yellow arrow is pointing? If it does then I have an idea, not replacing the entire tube, just replacing the end with a MAF housing.

Also, does anyone with the Typhoon intake have the factory tube and air they are willing to sell (or maybe even donate if I pay shipping???) for development purposes? I dont really want to mess up Bmxbangs intake and not be able to get it done right. I'd rather use a donor intake. If not I will check local salvage yards.

separation222.jpg

Here's an amazon parts list for those who are interested:

Amazon.com: Matthew Florell: LVC Gen2 CAI BOM

Plus the $65 MAF adapter I lsited above brings a 1-piece pipe up to around $162. Would have to play around a little to see if a 30-degree or 45-degree elbow works better. I also have an 8" long as opposed to 6.5" long K&N listed in that wishlist. It's only $5 more so if it don't fit you can use the smaller one.

Assembly would basically require a welder and a step drill. Drill holes in the elbow for the two bungs, and weld them in, then weld the elbow to the adapter.

Thanks for the research Kumba. Heres my question. In the pic below, does the factory intake tube separate where the yellow arrow is pointing? If it does then I have an idea, not replacing the entire tube, just replacing the end with a MAF housing.

Also, does anyone with the Typhoon intake have the factory tube and air they are willing to sell (or maybe even donate if I pay shipping???) for development purposes? I dont really want to mess up Bmxbangs intake and not be able to get it done right. I'd rather use a donor intake. If not I will check local salvage yards.

Yes, there's a worm clamp there, and one at the manifold under the cover.

Here's an exploded view: http://www.deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x3c004.htm~gen~ref.htm

Kumba, you are working towards a free heatshield. Thanks for all the info! I just need to know the outside diameter of the round tube coming out of the air cleaner cover (part #8 in the link above) and I can make this work

Kumba, you are working towards a free heatshield. Thanks for all the info! I just need to know the outside diameter of the round tube coming out of the air cleaner cover (part #8 in the link above) and I can make this work

I would say it's 3.5", so figure 4" for a rough mock-up. You can always use weather stripping or a door seal to take up the slack, and it will let it flex.

I dont think the flex is going to be a huge factor, on the gen1 with the LSK/ASMI tube its rigid all the way along the tube and the torque of the engine doesnt seem to affect the heatshield. Im thinking that I can use a MAF adapter out of the ribbed section of the factory intake tube and pass thru a larger hole in the heatshield and attach a cone filter directly to the MAF adapter. Then line the hole with the rubber trim I use on the edges of the heatshield. That will allow some flex while still sealing the heat out. Thoughts?

Members online

No members online now.
Back