Gears and where to buy bearings?

hy35f2t

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright im gonna go with 4:56's im going to have this guy that set's up rear ends and rebuilds trnasmissions for a living go all the shimming and what not.But idk what else to get where should i buy new bearings and what not?Just from autozone?Also my posi is worn out sometimes its posi other times its not is there rebuild kits for that too?

well are you coming to bosco? otherwise i think your friend will know exactly what to get and where to get them if he does it for a living, plus i am sure he has an account somewhere where he can get them cheaper?

So what trac lock do i need is it just for a 8.8 and 28spline.Nothing else which i can use out of a mustang.I though some mark VIII's came with a posi?My car did a brake stand with both tires spinning.I could never do that with my firebird and that was a open diff also.

Oh and the reason i dont have the go find me the bearings and stuff is hes my bosses "friend" and well is a dick and will charge extra for parts but he knows his :q:q:q:q.

a is yours an lsc? b i have a base model and can do the same, thats why our cars rock and firebirds are jello.

I had to think of somehting opposite of rock and jello came up

a is yours an lsc? b i have a base model and can do the same, thats why our cars rock and firebirds are jello.

I had to think of somehting opposite of rock and jello came up

Nope mine isnt a lsc i guess i can do the old test jack the rearend up off the ground and spin one wheel and pray they both spin the same way.:rolleyes:

But yeah can i use a 8.8 trac lok out of a fox or is there a specific year one i need i wanna get these gears done asap and gonna be on the hunt for a posi now.

Any rear 8.8 T-lok will do. No Mark VIII had one from the factory, though IMO it should have.

Buy the "Ratech" full installation kit. Mustangsunlimited sells them. I bought FORD racing from them and it came in a Ratech box with a Ford sticker. I thought they were trying to pull a fast one so I called Ford. They said Ratech does make the installation kit for them, and that the box would be from Ratech with a Ford sticker.

That's all fine and dandy but the Ratech kit without the sticker is $50 less, so save your $50 and buy the Ratech kit, they literally are the exact same kit. Ford racing verified that to me. Hope this helps.

BTW... Buyfordracing.com sells cheap Ford racing gears, but not in 4.56. They sell 4.10's for $139 with free shipping.

all_stuff.jpg

What you will need aside from the gears themselves:

Inner and outter pinion bearings w/races

Pinion seal

Crush washer/sleeve

Pinion nut

Pinion shims

Carrier shims

Carrier bearings x2

Outter case bearings x2 w/races

Outter case seals x2

Friction modifier if you have LSD

Gear oil, you can also buy this with friction modifier in it already

Ultra black sealant

red lock tight

Slotted carrier pin if your using a gear steeper than a 4.10

Carrier pin retaining bolt, these are very common to snap off in the carrier, have fun with that!!!!

Gear marker for checking pattern

If you have an 8.8 LSD, now is the time for a CF clutch kit $50

Tools you will need that you probably don't own:

Pinion depth tool, guage and bar

Dial indiacator for setting back lash

Calipers

Bar type, inch pound torque wrench

Torque wrench

20 ton press, with adaptors

MAP gas torch

Bearing splitter

Long stroke air hammer/chisel

Case spreader

Slide hammer w/inner bearing/axle bearing adapter tip

IF you have an 8.8 LSD you will need a tool for installing the clutch spring, I have made a custom tool for this.

Dr. SVO phd

Members online

No members online now.
Back