front end vibration, what else to check?

bluBomber

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My search did not turn up anything so here is my problem. I have a vibration in the front end of the Gen2 LS, it is barely noticeable at really slow speeds about 5mph then goes away. It is more noticeable between 60 and 70 MPH. Before 60 it is not there, after 70 it is not there, worst at about 65. The feedback is through the steering wheel, you can see the oscillation in the 60-70 range It has stock 16" wheels. It needed tires anyway, so I replaced those. No change to the vibration. Rotated the front tires to the back, no change there either. I looked at the front end, nothing jumped out at me. I took it to the shop, guy there checked it out and could not find anything wrong in the front end. He agreed there was a vibration, but said everything looked fine. He suggested getting an alignment or maybe a bad tire, but tires are new and the problem was there with the old tires so I doubt that is the issue. There is no noise that I can detect, but I would like to get it fixed. Any suggestions on what else to check?

If the vibration is worse/louder when turning one way, it is the hub on the opposite end.

It still vibrated and gave me lots of cabin drone when going straight, but right turns made it way louder.

Did you have your tires road forced balanced? I had very similar symptoms. Road force balancing did the trick. I also thought it was my hub too, even replaced the passenger side.

If the vibration is worse/louder when turning one way, it is the hub on the opposite end.

It still vibrated and gave me lots of cabin drone when going straight, but right turns made it way louder.

Mine isn't making any noise at all that I can hear, going straight or turning. I'll jack it up and see if I can check the play in them both.

There is a thread just like this like 6 posts down. It goes into detail about that.

Mine exhibited a similar symptom at 75mph. 70 was fine, 80 was fine, but the ramp to and from 75 would make the car drone/vibrate. Dealer just kept saying tires over and over and it never worked. Even changed rims and same behaviour.

For me it ended up being the rear drivers-side wheel bearing. Replaced that and vibrations gone. I still have a slight hum/drone in the car but am pretty damn sure that it's all driveshaft at this point. Unfortunately no amount of complaining I did got it replaced.

the hub can be checked with the wheel off, yes?
I go along with balance...I've had slackers (at Walmart) TRY to blnce mine many times, to no avail, eventually the service mgr did it right...night and day

For me on the rears we jacked the car up under the rear control arms so the suspension was loaded and put the car in drive. Then crawled under there with a mechanics stethoscope and listened to the bearings.

For me on the rears we jacked the car up under the rear control arms so the suspension was loaded and put the car in drive. Then crawled under there with a mechanics stethoscope and listened to the bearings.

wow. I'd never have thought of that.

Just a tid bit of info. I, too, am trying to track down the elusive vibration monster. I've had the rear hubs replaced a couple weeks back for other issues, then I replaced both the front hubs myself. To add to this, I recently had 4 brand new tires replaced when I purchased the vehicle a few months back. On top of that I had the rotors and the brake pads replaced all around. Honestly, I'm running out of parts to check on. Do you also feel a "wobbly" tires sensation? This is something I feel at certain speeds.

Just a tid bit of info. I, too, am trying to track down the elusive vibration monster. I've had the rear hubs replaced a couple weeks back for other issues, then I replaced both the front hubs myself. To add to this, I recently had 4 brand new tires replaced when I purchased the vehicle a few months back. On top of that I had the rotors and the brake pads replaced all around. Honestly, I'm running out of parts to check on. Do you also feel a "wobbly" tires sensation? This is something I feel at certain speeds.

Yes, I do have a wobbly tire feel sometimes. I have been working on my on vehicles for 35 years, so I like to think that I have a decent understanding of troubleshooting. I'm also a computer programmer so I am use to debugging/tracking issues down. Anyway, my LS has new brakes, rotors and tires all the way around. It needed all of those things anyway, so I did that first hoping the vib might be eliminated by one of those things. The vib is the same as before though. As stated earlier, the vib is at highway speeds but I can feel it when going very slow as well, just a gentle oscillation of the wheel. There is another hard to describe harmonic sometimes on a rough road that makes me think maybe a strut issue. That one feels more vertical than horizontal in nature. I'm going to take it in for an alignment and get them to check it out as soon as I finish my current home improvement project and have some free time.

Yes, I do have a wobbly tire feel sometimes. I have been working on my on vehicles for 35 years, so I like to think that I have a decent understanding of troubleshooting. I'm also a computer programmer so I am use to debugging/tracking issues down. Anyway, my LS has new brakes, rotors and tires all the way around. It needed all of those things anyway, so I did that first hoping the vib might be eliminated by one of those things. The vib is the same as before though. As stated earlier, the vib is at highway speeds but I can feel it when going very slow as well, just a gentle oscillation of the wheel. There is another hard to describe harmonic sometimes on a rough road that makes me think maybe a strut issue. That one feels more vertical than horizontal in nature. I'm going to take it in for an alignment and get them to check it out as soon as I finish my current home improvement project and have some free time.

I hear you, I used to work on radars for the navy as an electrician so I know what you mean. Let me know what happens and update the post if you remember. I have suspension issues also so that was my next guess into t/s. Good luck, let me know what you do.

Firestone had a good deal near me - road force balancing, tire rotation and an alignment check for $50. Highly recommend it.

What exactly is road force balancing? What do they do differently then traditional balancing?

What exactly is road force balancing? What do they do differently then traditional balancing?

There is a discussion on it in the thread that I linked, but basically the machine applies a force to the tire and wheel while it is performing the balance to determine where and how much weight needs to be applied.

bluBomber, my car the exact symptom as your car, even at the same speed. It turned out to be my right inner tie rod end and once it was jacked up, hard to miss. There must have been 1/4 inch play pushing the tire in and out. I took pictures but still need to post. I read that you checked your steering above and omitted it as a factor. It has been a few months since you posted on this thread so did you resolve what was causing your issue?

I'm also still chasing a vibration at high speed. I replaced rear toe link and sway bars so far and now no longer feel the vibe in my seat. I'm thinking my 11yr old original shocks might be my next step. Could also be front sway bars/bushings. The wheels don't have any play so I don't think it's tie rods. GL to you all.

Members online

No members online now.
Back