Flwmstr 40 series swap

dnsherrill

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Found a good deal on a used Flowmstr 40 series Delta (it's too loud for some teenage girl)...2.5'' in and out, offset..thinking of buying another one and having a good local shop replace my factory mufflers...will this be a simple swap?
-how will this 40 series sound on my Mark?
- is there anything else (simple) I should have them do while it's up in the air?
-can the third cat and maybe a resonator that can be deleted?

Found a good deal on a used Flowmstr 40 series Delta (it's too loud for some teenage girl)...2.5'' in and out, offset..thinking of buying another one and having a good local shop replace my factory mufflers...will this be a simple swap?
-how will this 40 series sound on my Mark?
- is there anything else (simple) I should have them do while it's up in the air?
-can the third cat and maybe a resonator that can be deleted?

Good muffler choice. My experience with DeltaFlows are they do a good job at not transmitting noise into the cabin.

Yes, delete that 3rd cat.

My dad gave me his 95 for a year, then I gave it back. But before i had it, he had Flow 40s put on with a custom catback and they had a really nice beefy sound. And he kept the 3rd cat, which isn't a cat at all, its really a resonator. There's no O2 sensor connected to it, so you could remove it and not get any CEL's. I loved how they sounded. The flowmaster 40s have a nice deep rumble, especially on 4.6s like the mark's have and mustangs. But just a warning, they drone like a mofo, didn't really bother me but the drone is definately there. Other than that, your mark will sound pretty sweet without being obnoxious.

Oh and yes the 3rd cat and resonator can be removed, but when you bring your mark. Don't say can you cut out that 3rd cat, they most likely won't touch it. Just tell them to remove the two resonators. As far as the 2.5'' mufflers being put on, stock exhaust on mark viii's are 2.25'', so they'll have to put on 2.25'' to 2.5'' adapters and that's pretty much it. Just to add something else, if you want it to be loud, ask them to put turndown tips right on the end of the mufflers.

Just to add something else, if you want it to be loud, ask them to put turndown tips right on the end of the mufflers.
turn-downs? hmmm, how will those LOOK? I've read where some say it's not a good look on this car? personal preference I guess...need to find a pic...
'drone'? you mean like when cruising at 80mph at 2k on the interstate? something I do about 60-90 minutes 5 days/week...maybe a magnaflow is a better choice considering my driving routine?

turn-downs? hmmm, how will those LOOK? I've read where some say it's not a good look on this car? personal preference I guess...need to find a pic...
'drone'? you mean like when cruising at 80mph at 2k on the interstate? something I do about 60-90 minutes 5 days/week...maybe a magnaflow is a better choice considering my driving routine?

93-94 have factory turn downs, they dont have cut outs in the bumper like your car does, so most peope opt to keep it stock looking rather than hack the bumper up.

you do know the factory exhaust is 2.25" not 2.5" correct? this means they will have to use adapters. just something to think about.

are the muffers stainless? I would even consider a used muffer that isn't.

yea, I gave up on the notion of getting a used muffler..my mech will let me buy them at commercial acct. cost from AZ; generally about 1/2 of retail...but now I have the itch to mod...so, Dynomax, Magnaflow, or Flowmaster??? another MK8 forum seems to be especially keen on Dynomax Ultraflow
-looking at my shop manual, is the 3rd cat and/or resonator called mufler inlet pipe or dual converter y pipe?

Oh and yes the 3rd cat and resonator can be removed
______
what effect will that have?

Oh and yes the 3rd cat and resonator can be removed
______
what effect will that have?

It'll be louder and have a deeper rumble, more interior noise aswell. That thing people call a 3rd cat isn't really a cat, my mechanic looked at it and said its more of a resonator and if you removed it, no CEL's will come up. Flowmasters definately sound good, especially the 40s. And like k98tm said, you'll need the exhaust shop or who ever is doing your exhaust make 2.25'' to 2.5'' adapters so you can use those mufflers. Flowmasters are also very notorious for rusting out after awhile if they're not stainless steel.

I believe magnaflow bought out dynomax some time ago..a magnaflow muffler is essentially a dynomax now. They do have different types of mufflers also..something you should look into.

was able to get a fair price on a pair of new 40's....$60 a piece; I had arranged to get 44's, but when i showed up he only had one 44....hittin' the muffler shop to talk turkey first thing...thanks for all the input;

I went by two muffler shops today, came out with 2 options-
Shop A:
won't remove 3rd cat (big fat fine, period), he sees no good reason to remove resonator behind the third cat; He feels doing true dual exhaust would not be worth the money I'd spend in labor IF it can be done.
He can do a new 'Y' behind the axle; i.e. replace the factory 2.5 to 2 and 2 with a 2.5 to 2.5 and 2.5. That will flow to my new Flowmasters with 2.5 instead of the existing 2'' pipes feeding the existing mufflers.
Replace the factory tips with round 2.5 SS tips.
$210 parts/labor, my mufflers. I think this guy is GM all the way, he may dislike Fomoco
Shop B
will remove the 2 resonators (3rd cat + res), create a true dual exhaust, 2.25'' all the way to my new Flowmasters, reuse old tips; so it'll be 2.25'' to 2.5'' mufflers to 2'' tips....$250 parts and labor; more if I want to add larger, new tips. But the bumper is cut out for these oval tips.
I don't know whether he would do an 'H' or 'X' dual
Downsizing out the mufflers (2.5'' to 2'') may be a mistake?
I paid a buck twenty for my new Flowmaster 40's...looking at $330 or $370 total...

Shop B all the way worth the extra few bucks..the first shop is just lazy and afraid to bent dual exhaust the full length of the car..2.5" duals all the way back has been done many times, tell him to do it or take your buisness elsewhere, and an x pipe is fairly easy to make out of two short pieces of bent pipe.

yea, Shop A is way too conservative...I think they are now making their money on gen repairs as well as exhaust, which surprised me, I expected the opposite....after searching some more, I've seen lots of photos of true dual, 2.5'', stem to stern

Shop B definately. That 3rd cat doesnt do anything, wont get a CEL if you remove it either. True duals will sound really good, make sure you make an exhaust video for us lol

Ive heard of a lot of people putting X pipes in when they had their true duals done, I think an H pipe would sound a lot deeper and more beefy.

Ive heard of a lot of people putting X pipes in when they had their true duals done, I think an H pipe would sound a lot deeper and more beefy.
Well, that would be the next question....buy an X-pipe or 2 in- 2 out muffler to go in front of the gas tank, or have the mech fabricate an X-pipe or H-pipe....without raising the car he didn't think he could do 2.5'' all the way...but plenty others have done that so he should also..yea, I'll do an after video

2.5" or bust! That size is put on these cars all day long. I wouldn't go any smaller. The DOHC needs to breathe.

Members online

No members online now.
Back