First problem!

fastmark1993

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So first majorish issue on the new mark I haven't had time to look at it but the thing won't idle cold, if you sit in the car and hold revs till its warm it idles fine. But if she's cold it'll start run sputter and quit.

Any ideas fellas? Much appreciated!

So first majorish issue on the new mark I haven't had time to look at it but the thing won't idle cold, if you sit in the car and hold revs till its warm it idles fine. But if she's cold it'll start run sputter and quit.

Any ideas fellas? Much appreciated!

Had the same problem in my 01 Town Car, after I changed the IAC it still did it. I ended up changing the engine for an 04 long block. Never found the root of the problem but 95% sure I had an intake leak.

Could be IAC, TPS, those two are the most likely. Could be a vacuum leak. Check all lines that run across over to the passengers side. You also have a canister that sets behind the passenger side fender but usually the line doesn't come loose in there. To check, the fender would need to be removed but that would be the last place I would look. IAC is rough to swap if you never changed one before on a Mark. It's best to go ahead and change the TPS while you're back there so that you know both parts were taken care of. You'll need an IAC gasket if the new one doesn't come with one and you'll need a TB gasket. The rest is just time consuming. To make it easy on yourself, remove the hood, if you have help replacing it.

Well I ordered an ECT sensor, iac, tps sensor and new upper and lower springs with new pistons for the tranny. Said and done 146 bucks with my ford discount :)

I'm not quite sure I agree with the vacuum leak theory because I would expect the idle to always be off, not just when it's cold. I think the IAC could cause that problem though.

Members online

No members online now.
Back