first gen vs second generation?

Jerrwayne

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hay yall.That sounds awful hickis.Hahaaa.O'well.I am.Greetings from Paducah Ky.I'm so busy I don't get on the web much but I do check in alittle.The generation 2 MK8 I just got from my sister in law is ok (sorta)not in as good a shape as my brother thought it was)not bad though).I have a leed on a 93 and am interested in what I know is probably just an opinion but, which is maybe better? A generation 1 or 2.Also when I was getting insurence I was asked if it had a V6 or a V8.Well I was kinda shocked.I didn't think they came with a 6.Shows ya what I know.O'well.Forget the 6 but which seems to be the better of the two?First gen V8 or second gen V8?Thanks for yer input!:eek: :rolleyes:

In what aspects? Speed, Longevity? and they never came with a 6

If yer gonna leave it alone, go for Gen I. Gen II heads has an issue w/ low end velocity. Could be related to intake design, I haven't studied them enough. Gen Is are a little lighter and the '93 suspension drops a full inch on the highway. I have been told that the '93 had been built better w/ more mastic on the floor and structural foam in the A-pillar frame, (quieter).

Parts are more availible for a Gen I. The '96 has the more modern OBDII system, with the benefits of a Gen I. You need more Electronic tools to work on Gen II's. Who would think you would need a professional scanner tool to change out a master cylinder?

All MarkVIIIs came w/ 4.6l V8. You can also bolt on a '96-'98 cobra intake for eye candy.

Don't be shy of the search forum. It helps to get you in the right when you have a question or thought.

Hahaaa!Great answers.Thanks!

:D I like it.I think I need that 93 to go with my 97.Why not?Haha.Yep.Why not.Two can only be better than one.I always thought that both realy looked great but I know that every year tech changes and quite often not for the better especially for those of us that don't have a high tech (expensive) shop.In you'r opinions again if you had both which would you resk blowing apart hoppiong up?I'm guessing maybe the 97.

Gen 2 for me.

Headlights are better, interior is more comfortable, and I like the looks of them better. I own 2 gen1's and a gen2, and would like another 2nd.

My opinion tho.

I have my first Mark and its a gen 1.I had a chance to buy a gen 2 cheap.The front end of the gen 2 reminded me to much of the cougar.A car which I cannot stand.In my opinion the gen 1 is the choice

I would like to have a gen 1 but if i did, Then i would want a gen 2.

94m5 said:
Gen 2 for me.

Headlights are better, interior is more comfortable, and I like the looks of them better. I own 2 gen1's and a gen2, and would like another 2nd.

My opinion tho.

Hey Mike, owning these cars have become an addiction now, huh ? LoL. I myself have been looking into getting a Gen.2.

Gen 2 brings you more modern styling on the outside, as well as light that actually work both front and rear. If you get a 98, you get a slightly better transmission too. I like the coil-on-plug ignition alot better myself. The interior looks better organized in my opinion.

The Gen 1 has a distinct advantage in ease of mods pre-OBD-II as well as being a little lighter, and having the auto adjust shocks. Lot cheaper to get parts for and purchase initially. Headlights can be upgraded to 96 LSC HID's.

However, for ease of modding and speed, I already have a couple of big block 68 Dodges, so I decided to go with the better styling and appointment of the Gen 2. :)

All 93-98 Mark VIII's have the same exact B Heads. Only the 96-98 have the updated Beehive valve springs. I've owned a 95 LSC and now a 98 LSC and both are very nice in their own ways but the 98 is way more flossin. Stock for stock the 98 doesn't feel any slower than my 95 did. In fact, the tranny is much stronger in the 98, it downshifts much better than my 95 ever did even with the tranny line pressure raised.

Hey 95LSC32V... I would love to see some pics of that '98 LSC.. I was thinking about grabbing one myself soon. I think I'm done with this '95 also.

StraDog said:
Hey 95LSC32V... I would love to see some pics of that '98 LSC.. I was thinking about grabbing one myself soon. I think I'm done with this '95 also.

Stradog, you know that you are not done with that 95 of yours :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back