Finally Going For Exhaust....Help?

LincolnRedDevil

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Finally decided to go for a new sound....I was thinking 40 Series Flowmasters....There are so many different opinions out there that I really can't make up my mind....I want an aggressive sound with alittle more power, I'm a college student so cost is definitley an issue as well. Please any help will do. 96 LSC Stock Exhaust....Thanks guys for the help =]

Finally decided to go for a new sound....I was thinking 40 Series Flowmasters....There are so many different opinions out there that I really can't make up my mind....I want an aggressive sound with alittle more power, I'm a college student so cost is definitley an issue as well. Please any help will do. 96 LSC Stock Exhaust....Thanks guys for the help =]
You should probably post this in the main mark VIII section. This one is a bit dead.

Yes stay away from BLOWmasters!! they sound horrible on the mark viii's
i had some on for 2 weeks,took them back off.they sound good on mustangs but totally different on marks.

the coin should be coming in soon actually. the only problem is getting it. Would have to fit it in with a college schedule =\

For sound I like Geno's LMS Expansion II mufflers and of course Borla's. I like the X-pipe resonators/mufflers design but they are to loud by them selves. At least for normal street use but fine for my hot rod. I think I heard a Dynomax system I liked also ???? My Cobra has the straight tru Borla's. Again to loud But I and everyone who's heard it loves. Better than my Mark.

I like the sound of the Magnaflow Race Series SS mufflers I have, and have gotten good comments about it. I wish it were a tiny bit louder, but the rest of my exhaust is bone stock...

I like the sound of the Magnaflow Race Series SS mufflers I have, and have gotten good comments about it. I wish it were a tiny bit louder, but the rest of my exhaust is bone stock...

With the work you have had done to your car I am surprised you have not done the exhaust...when you do you will be amazed at the seat of your pants power that is added.

lincolnmotorsport.com. expansion II. they are 100 each, fully polished and sound great, they have a link to hear them. i absolutely love em.

Do mufflers buy themselves attribute to performance gains?

I am also a broke college student with a fully stock Mark VIII. I am trying to do all the work myself so buying a exhaust that just bolts on is more appealing to me rather than welding.

I understand for the most gains possible I would have to replace everything from exhaust manifolds on-ward.

Do mufflers buy themselves attribute to performance gains?

I am also a broke college student with a fully stock Mark VIII. I am trying to do all the work myself so buying a exhaust that just bolts on is more appealing to me rather than welding.

I understand for the most gains possible I would have to replace everything from exhaust manifolds on-ward.

slight performance change. prolly not enough to really notice.

if you just want a better noise, just cut those mufflers off.
a guy i know has a 95 LSC with no mufflers. its really not so bad.
plus, its cheap. and if it really sucks, its not too expensive just to get the mufflers put back on.

You should leave it alone for now and save your money for more meaningful items that involve maintenance of the car (ie brakes, front suspension components, air ride components, and tune up parts). You will get no gain from a muffler change, to get any sort of gain you need to replace the whole system all the way from the headers on back, converting to a true dual exhaust setup with a dual in dual out muffler ( resonator) in the center (Magna Flow) or a cross over pipe to reduce droning. With new O2 sensors and a dyno tune you might find 10 HP in the change.

the lms system dbl x 2.5 inch duals and mufflers with headers is good for 30hp. from manifolds back 22hp, but if your on a budget, leave it alone the headers are 800, lms whole system was 300, then you have to pay someone to do it.

definately save up for something to keep your car on the road. as you stated a poor college student, these cars are not that cheap to keep, especially suspension parts, i kissed a whole tax rebate on re-doing most of my suspension, ya most of it, i couldnt even do the whole thing

I had a custom true dual 2.5" on my 93 Tbird LX 5.0, that was originally on my 3.8 car.

When I installed it on my 3.8 LX back in 2001, I used high flow cats, dual Magnaflows (looked almost identical to the Borlas they had), deleted the resonator, and used big giant fart can tips. The car sounded like a raspy fart. Later on I added a crossover pipe, and turn down exhaust tips, and the difference was immediately noticed before I even left the exhaust shop. More punchy on the low end, and it sounded actually pretty good - I was impressed, and the guys at the shop were as well. Another couple years farther down the line, I got a 93 LX 5.0 and of course had to move the exhaust over to that car. It made a very noticeable power increase on the V8 car, and it sounded absolutely wicked! On a cold day, it was extra loud and deep once the motor and exhaust started warming up. It did have a lot of drone between 65-75 mph mostly, constantly pissed my girlfriend off, and it would have been a LOT worse if I got the flowmasters.

I'm going to do the exhaust on my Mark before the end of the year hopefully. I am looking to replicate the setup I mentioned above as closely as possible; I can only imagine how nice it will sound with this free revving 32 valve beast! I cant help but to wonder if it will actually be louder than my 302 was with the same exhaust.

Also important to point out... The Magnaflows are built VERY well and give the best bang for the buck, and the flowmasters I saw at the shop looked like they were built like crap (not stainless steel). I was told within 6-7 years, the chambered mufflers usually need to be changed out because they are prone to rot, even over here in Los Angeles. In fact, I had noticed that all the Magnaflows I looked at were stainless steel, and had a straight throw flow design, and reminded me of the overpriced, and overrated Borla mufflers.

Members online

Back