Extra keys?

956LS8

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So what's up guys its me once again. I'm looking to get a spare key for my ls. I have only one and its missing the Lincoln, stars. Any tips on where I can get maybe two more?

You can get uncut ones on ebay

Also, since you don't have 2, you will need to get them programmed. I do not think you can do it yourself with less than 2 programmed keys.

Theyre all over ebay and yes you need to go to a dealer regardless to get them cut. A local locksmith might be able to cut and program them for less.

The key are fobs and cheap, the programming is where they get you. $102 per key. The fob you can do yourself.

You should get two new keys. You only have to pay to get one of the new keys programmed.
Once you have two working keys, you can program a third one yourself.

If you have three working keys, you can lose or break one of them and still be able to program a new replacement one yourself without having to pay the $100 programming fee again.

Note that on Gen 1's, the remotes *must* be programmed at the dealer. Locksmiths *cannot* program remotes. Sad but true.

I got my keys off ebay and Lowes cut them for cheap!

You should get two new keys. You only have to pay to get one of the new keys programmed.

If you have three working keys, you can lose or break one of them and still be able to program a new replacement one yourself without having to pay the $100 programming fee again.

I have 5 keys. One on a set in my pocket, one on the gf's keychain, one inthe desk draawer at work, and 2 programmed keys in a safe spot. That way, I can always program more. I think I paid $20 per key at the dealer at the time, but that was probably 5 years ago. I still haven't lost the original 3 keys I got with the car. One of them is a valet key I think, and that one stays at work in case I lock my keys in my car. It has proved invaluable when my driver's door handle was starting to fail, and would periodically lock me out of my car. Most times with the engine running.

Note that on Gen 1's, the remotes *must* be programmed at the dealer. Locksmiths *cannot* program remotes. Sad but true.

My little local independent locksmith has programmed keys for both my LS and my TC. They can buy a tool/scanner to allow them to do this. He charges $50 for the service, which included cutting two new keys. Call around. Find that retired locksmith that works out of a van like I did. Used him for years. Burtons Lock and Key, Spencer, Indiana. Thanks Bob!

Dan

Programming keys and fobs:

To program new key. You MUST have 2 keys & fobs. Take your 2 original keys. Turn them on & off in the ignition. Take each additional key to the on & off in the ignition. The new keys SHOULD be program.

To program new fobs. You MUST have 2 fobs & keys already. Take your original key & fob. Put in ignition. Turn on/off 8 times real quick. On the 8th turn you should hear "click" "click". Then press any button on your new fob. Should hear a "click". Indicating the new fob has been program. If you don't hear a "click". It didn't work. Lock/unlock your car and try again.

You MUST 2 keys & fobs to this.

If you only have 1 key & fob. You HAVE to go to the dealer to have them scanned & programmed. The dealer will $55 to scan & program a new key & fob

I paid $7 for a new key at the deal 2 years ago.

Wow. Dealer did not notify me of this. I was charged $102 for one key.

So with two keys, all i need to do is run down to lowes or walmart and cut the key myself, then the car will program it for me?

Really? That sucks. With gen II can you can do the procedure where you cycle the ignition 8 times and it kicks it into programming mode? I did it on the truck and it worked.

Wow. Dealer did not notify me of this. I was charged $102 for one key.

So with two keys, all i need to do is run down to lowes or walmart and cut the key myself, then the car will program it for me?

Really? That sucks. With gen II can you can do the procedure where you cycle the ignition 8 times and it kicks it into programming mode? I did it on the truck and it worked.

Yes. You can program the key yourself. Just follow the steps.

Not true. You can program the fob yourself. Just follow the steps.

Yes. You can program the key yourself. Just follow the steps.

Not true. You can program the fob yourself. Just follow the steps.

Only the 2nd gen cars. I had to have the dealer program the 3rd remote I bought for my '00.

Only the 2nd gen cars. I had to have the dealer program the 3rd remote I bought for my '00.

I am sure they enjoyed taking your money. I just spoke to my dealer. You got ripped off bro.

I am sure they enjoyed taking your money. I just spoke to my dealer. You got ripped off bro.

Are you sure he's right? I know you can do it with the Gen2 cars. I would be very surprised if it can be done on the Gen1 as the computers use a completely different language.

Page 105 from 2000 OM:
Replacing lost transmitters
If a remote transmitter has been lost
and you would like to remove it
from the vehicle’s memory or you
would like to purchase additional
transmitters for your vehicle (up to
four may be programmed into
memory), take all your vehicle’s
transmitters to your dealer for
programming. It will be necessary
for your dealer to reprogram all the
remote transmitters to your vehicle
while performing this service.

Page 145 from '04 OM:
How to reprogram your remote entry transmitters
You must have all remote entry transmitters (maximum of four)
available before beginning this procedure.........

Anybody know where I can get another one of these keys?

photo.png

I have this sweet looking key that I can't seem to find anywhere..

It used to have a clear silicone-looking bead on over the metal and it just looks really official.

Whenever I search for replacement keys I get the standard black-cut logo or the aftermarket cheapos.

It ran me $80 to buy a new key, have 2 keys with fobs , and a keyless entry pad programmed a few years ago at the dealership.

My little local independent locksmith has programmed keys for both my LS and my TC. They can buy a tool/scanner to allow them to do this. He charges $50 for the service, which included cutting two new keys. Call around. Find that retired locksmith that works out of a van like I did. Used him for years. Burtons Lock and Key, Spencer, Indiana. Thanks Bob!

:rolleyes:

I said fob, not key. My locksmith researched for a while and dug through the docs on his equipment, and it explicitly said it can't be done by an independent. He did program the keys (I only had one).

Rollin: That's the standard Ford programming procedure.

To everyone: it's worth trying. Only takes a couple of minutes. If it doesn't work, then you're stuck with the dealer.

when youre lookin on ebay for the keys & fobs how do you know youre looking at the correct ones? or are they pretty much all the same?
some of them say 'fits lincoln ls' but is there some way to know for sure?
thnks

If the gen II key will work on gen I cars, get that one instead. Looks 10 times nicer and is easy to find all over ebay.

Members online

No members online now.
Back