engine&tranny rebuid idea

I don't think you'll get as much as you might expect... unless going very radical. I assume you want to stay with pump fuel, so with a small displacement NA V8, you are very limited.

P&P the heads... might get you 30HP if you're lucky... another 20 for the cams; again, if you're lucky. Bump to 11.5 compression (anything higher and you're talking 104 octane)... maybe another 25-30 HP. Exhaust work, 20 HP, intake... 15HP. Tune, another 15. Lets see that's 130 HP over your stock 252... giving you a whooping 387-ish HP at the crank (at best). And this will cost you an easy $10-$15K to have everything done you're talking about.

Reworked heads: $1000-$1500
4 Custom ground cams: $1000-$1500
8 Custom pistons: $1500
8 Billet Rods: $2500
See, you're already at $6000 minimum and you've not even touched labor for building-installing the engine, the billet crank, tranny work, tuning, fuel injectors/pump/lines, rear end work...

You see why Forced Induction is such an attractive route to take with these engines? Ask CammerFE... he's doing exactly what you want to do right now, but with the 4.0L Jag engine (and set-up for turbo). And he's got connections to get this stuff done at a lighter cost.

Look at it this way; street-able HP/cu inch from NA is at best 1.5:1. That means an engine with a 300 cubic inch displacement will generally give you around 450 street-able HP in naturally aspirated form; try for anything above that and you'll be dealing with a severe idle, horrible lower end power and a thirst for high octane race fuel.

The 3.9L is about what, 238ci? That comes to 357HP making 1.5:1 HP/CU IN.

Sorry man, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree on this one; small displacement isn't where you look when you want to build naturally aspirated and get big numbers (at least not for the street). It would be different if you were talking about an engine that has these parts available; Dollar/HP wouldn't be nearly as bad. But in the end, it is your money.

roughly with that in mind what would be the turnout over stock?...:confused:

rambling?...big deal...i started this thread, if you have a problem with it then just dont come back...i am referring to QUIK and ILLs , they are intelligable people of the LS...so is cammerfe and several others...you have nothing to add other than nagging....just dont visit this thread anymore so i dont have to hear you whine about my rambling...bug off....aweful j@ck@$$...

though it is a sick idea to do any of this on an LS i still think it would end up being a waste of time and money when there are many other cars u can mod for ur go fast needs.... unless its a turbo .. cuz nothing beats the sound of a blow off valve.

LS is a car to cruise in .... pussy magnet in other words

=D

yeah, i understand, but it will be garage kept...onlu driven on accaisions...plus me and the car has been thru alot, it needs to be rebuilt, so why not go nutz with it of you can?...

after its done it we like a pussy black hole...sucking them in like a SC...

why do you people doubt?...

People doubt b/c they know it'll be alot of money. Look how much time and money along with custom modification QuikLS has went and is still going through with a supercharger. Your idea will take a big bank and alot of r&d and tuning. I'm not saying your idea isn't possible.

i can get everything but the engine done here...its either going to ILLs or jim wof tech or some pther shop tp be built...european based engine...i can find tuners...the more i hink about it the more i think i can do it....

Good luck. You know for the money you are about to spend you could get a nice used Stype R or even a used E39 M5 (they can be found in the 20's now) that even has a warranty.

The last guy (that I am aware of) that did a port/polish job on an LS burned a piston.

I guess my point is instead of building a grenade waiting to blow why not put your money into something reliable like a car that is already built or go the forced induction route which is proven?

If you notice, the posts he makes are around 2-3am. He must be wasted from drinking and cant think straight.

In the other post he wants to put a GEN2 intake on a GEN1, so there is a lot he needs to learn here.

Kelleyo, it would cost a lot less to sell that LS and get a previous gen M5. Those cars even with 100K miles are barely broken in. Ive seen one of those motors apart and they are a nice piece of engineering.

Don't any of you guys on the negative bandwagon have an ounce of hot-rodder blood in your veins? Hell, his ideas may not be worth the 100% acid-free recycled electrons on which they're printed, but you have to respect the spirit in which they're offered.

Yes, he could spend less money and get a better car for modding, but that's not the point. Yes, he may never carry out any of these ideas, but that's also not the point--at least he has people talking about mods and thinking about how they could be done. That, in and of itself, has to be worth something.

As for the boring-out part, IIRC, the LS's AJ uses the same Cosworth casting process as the Taurus SHO's 3.4L V8, and the SHO guys figured out that the only way to remove the sleeves was to destroy the block. That, I think, would take boring out of the equation.

Increasing compression is also not a way I would choose to go; the LS is already running on the ragged edge with its stock compression. If you go much higher, you'll be buying all of your gas at the race track, because pump gas won't get it done. It also makes the engine boost-unfriendly.

Porting and polishing has been done to at least one set of LS V6 heads, so it can be done. The guy who did it didn't get a chance to install them, though, as he had other problems that resulted in an engine replacement, so we don't know if it will make any difference.

To the OP, I think you have the right idea: Go big or go home. More power to you if you can git 'er done.

I was just messin around. I know he has high hopes and it would be nice to see it work. But some of the statements made are just too far out there.

yeah, i understand, but it will be garage kept...onlu driven on accaisions...plus me and the car has been thru alot, it needs to be rebuilt, so why not go nutz with it of you can?...

after its done it we like a pussy black hole...sucking them in like a SC...

why do you people doubt?...

DO THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

pulp_fiction_jules.jpg

Mark

I am not being negative in fact I said good luck. We are talking about a car that is not in production anymore and a lot of us have been around it for a while and seen many attempts. I had a gen 1 and a gen 2 LS. From all the knowledge gained in 9 years The SC and Turbo seem to be the only effective way to go if you want more power than an intake/exhaust/tune can give you.

Some of the other promising things that have happened lately are rear end swaps with gears and LSD's.

If this guy is some sort of "motor magician" than I am sure he will be able to do what others here have not.

Once again good luck! I will watch this with much interest :cool:

I believe the abandoned the casting process you're referencing early in the AJ production (as in prior to the 3.9L). But I can't swear to this.

My point with "boring" is that when someone refers to "boring" and engine, that means having the bore resurfaced. Something which MOST iron sleeves are not tolerant of. To increase the bore of an aluminum engine, it must be re-sleeved (IF it can be). Correct terminology is key.

I certainly respect the desire to make a car faster... but the problem I have with that is the utter lack of mechanical knowledge which I've personally already explained the issues with this idea. Issues which, when a project continues along his desired path CANNOT be overcome. As stated before, compression is already in the very upper limits of pump gas... Drive-ability would be a serious issue, and the simple cost factor...

Not to mention, I can't think of a worse way to "invest" an inheritance than dumping it into a car with a value that isn't even on a downward spiral... no, it's going much to fast to spiral... it's going straight.

And then... upgrade to an 8.8 diff so you can run 3.56 gears? WHAT?!?! The 8.0" has 3.58 gears... why would you want to swap to an 8.8 diff just to keep the same ratio?!?!?

The whole idea is just simply impractical. Small displacement NA engines with high HP numbers do not go on the street; it's as simple as that...

I may very well be wrong about the casting process of the block/bore... more I think about it and after re-reading Ken's posting... I'm not so sure.

thanks from some of you, others can bug off...not sure what i am going to do at this point...you did catch me earlier...sorry, i had been drinking and handling some real crappy family stuff...i may just get my bodywork, springs, exhaust, SCT, and a few others, take it to the ford dealership and let them run over it, tune up...i found this 95 5.0 GT for 3900g and 115k on it...wasnt bad, need work, figure i could get a 240 and build instead...i dunno...oh yeah, and i like the pulp fiction reference...

thirdeye get a 240sx and build that! I had a 93 coupe with a turbo and huge front mount pushing 400HP to the wheels and the car only weighed 2700LBS. It was unstoppable! I do miss that little car. See what marriage and kids do to you. They make you go get a LS ;)

Actually, get an 06 LS!!!! Then you'll have your daily driver gen 1 LS, and your nicer special occasion LS.

i think 240 with an Ls1 and a T-5 would be just perfect...just build rear end and suspension and brakes accordingly, plus add a cage in there...

Well that did not take long eh? No cam grinding? No intake porting? No extrude honing? What happened to 400 NA HP??

I was hoping you were a motor magician!!!!! Funny how many folks here stood up for you after your weird drunken rants about "building" your LS....

You sure created much ado about NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! :D

id still love to do it...and i am in no way, shape, form or fashion a motor magician...yeah, if i could do all that to my LS it would be great...but...i think getting a little rocket ship would be a better way to go...and if i got a 2nd gen LS, then id still have to deal with not having a fast car....and thats what i want...just gonna fix the LS...still thinking about 2nd gen intake plenum and a slight port and polish...get and Xcal2 and exhaust lip kit...paint and i may be done...and the other springs...etc...

Well this officially is the most pointless thread I've read through on LVC. A classic example of the law of diminishing returns.

Members online

No members online now.
Back