Engine rattles on startup

Y'all ain't gonna believe this, not sure I do myself, but I found my problem. The exhaust pipe is tapping on something, causing the rattle. I was outside the car a few days ago when it was started, right next to it, and heard the noise. I then wiggled on the driver side exhaust exit, and there it was. I've not gotten under there to figure out exactly what is going on, nor can I explain why it only happens occasionally when cold. But, that was it. My problem is solved. Well, isolated, not solved, but that's good enough. I just sold my house, and am hoping I can find a rental with a garage so I can fix it. Going to be way too busy with getting out of this house in the meantime.

Y'all ain't gonna believe this, not sure I do myself, but I found my problem. The exhaust pipe is tapping on something, causing the rattle. I was outside the car a few days ago when it was started, right next to it, and heard the noise. I then wiggled on the driver side exhaust exit, and there it was. I've not gotten under there to figure out exactly what is going on, nor can I explain why it only happens occasionally when cold. But, that was it. My problem is solved. Well, isolated, not solved, but that's good enough. I just sold my house, and am hoping I can find a rental with a garage so I can fix it. Going to be way too busy with getting out of this house in the meantime.

Have you checked the "crossbar" that is below the exhaust, after the cats?

Nope, and I won't until it warms up some. I only work on actual broken so it won't run stuff when it's cold out. Anything that can wait till it warms up does, and if this is a rubbing exhaust issue it'll show as a shiny spot somewhere. Thanks though, as soon as it does warm up enough I'll look at the crossbar area.

Nope, and I won't until it warms up some. I only work on actual broken so it won't run stuff when it's cold out. Anything that can wait till it warms up..................

Welll..... It was ~77º today and we have a week or so of min-70's. Then again, premium is ~$3.95 (Chevron, Shell; Costco is ~$3.77)......

Heh heh... yeah, but the house payment on my 1800+ sq ft house with a nice yard is less than 900 bucks including taxes and insurance, and traffic jams that last more than 20 minutes are unforgiveable. Oh, and premium was 3.11 last time I was out. :D

8 month later bump...an '04 V8 that I recently purchased has a fairly loud rattle on start up as well - then goes away after a couple seconds as what I assume is the timing chain tensioner (which, I don't know) gets oil pressure. So add another gen 2 to the list with what seems to be a tensioner problem.

8 month later bump...an '04 V8 that I recently purchased has a fairly loud rattle on start up as well - then goes away after a couple seconds as what I assume is the timing chain tensioner (which, I don't know) gets oil pressure. So add another gen 2 to the list with what seems to be a tensioner problem.

Ummmmm...... See post 186 above......

I use Blackstone Labs for my diesel truck. No complaints. I know some folks think it's junk science but to me it's peace of mind to send a sample every few oil changes. I plan to run the truck as long as possible.
Google them and send an email. They'll send you a kit (free) to get them a sample.

Got my oil analyzed, seems like aluminum, iron and magnesium are 3x to 6x normal. Does look like an internal issue to me and while it does stop after less than 2 seconds it sounds horrible and this analysis looks really bad. Now thinking it may be a cam rattling around. It's not secondary tensioners on my LS as I've replaced those.
Not good.
OilLabReport_zps711cd838.jpg

not good at all.
Are you using full synthetic Mobile 1?
I am because I picked up the oil and then read the owners manual... The manual states a syn blend is required. I doubt it would make much of a difference though.
I'll be due for an oil change in a month or two. I'll certainly send a sample to Blackstone and post results here. The rattle in mine seems to be getting worse. Kind of a predicament, can't sell it as is for any decent amount. Guess I'll keep an eye out for a replacement engine. I did search for a rebuild kit without luck.

my 2004 Lincoln ls does the same thing. On first start after sitting and cooling off it rattles a little. I checked my oil and switched to part synthetic then went to full synthetic. It does sound like it is coming from the engine itself but underneath the car.

Got my oil analyzed, seems like aluminum, iron and magnesium are 3x to 6x normal. Does look like an internal issue to me and while it does stop after less than 2 seconds it sounds horrible and this analysis looks really bad. Now thinking it may be a cam rattling around. It's not secondary tensioners on my LS as I've replaced those.
Not good.

Man, I hope not but that may explain your ongoing noise issue. I recently switched to Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic and Napa gold filter(Wix) with the anti-drainback gasket. My rattle was easily cut in half afterwards. General consensus from some mechanic friends and family car gurus is some minor oil starvation and a shrug off. Still slightly concerned and keeping my fingers crossed though.

Man, I hope not but that may explain your ongoing noise issue. I recently switched to Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic and Napa gold filter(Wix) with the anti-drainback gasket. My rattle was easily cut in half afterwards. General consensus from some mechanic friends and family car gurus is some minor oil starvation and a shrug off. Still slightly concerned and keeping my fingers crossed though.

I've always run Mobil 1 full synthetic in it. Had been running the recommended 5W20 and had tried heavier oil to see if it affected the rattle, even tried dino oil, Napa filter, no effect. But on this last change went to 0w20 and that is what's in it now, also with a Lincoln dealer OEM Motorcraft filter in it. Rattle is getting worse and worse.

I'm changing my oil today. I was thinking about mixing 0w-20 with 5w - 20 synthetic to see if that helps. That is the most annoying 2 seconds ever

I've always run Mobil 1 full synthetic in it. Had been running the recommended 5W20 and had tried heavier oil to see if it affected the rattle, even tried dino oil, Napa filter, no effect. But on this last change went to 0w20 and that is what's in it now, also with a Lincoln dealer OEM Motorcraft filter in it. Rattle is getting worse and worse.
How does the drain back gasket work?

It acts as a one way valve to keep the oil from draining back into the oil pan from the oil filter, which is supposed to keep oil in all the passages that matter. It reduces no-oil running from the time the engine starts to the time the oil pump can get the system refilled.

How does the drain back gasket work?

When you shut down the engine, it keeps the oil in the lubrication passages from draining back into the oil pan through the oil filter. The result is that the passages are still mostly full of oil when you restart the engine, so full lubrication of all the parts occurs more quickly than it would without the anti-drain back feature of the filters. Basically, it's a one-way check valve. It only lets oil flow through the filter is the correct direction.

Edit: Telco types faster than me...

mine has been getting worse too. nowadays even if it sits for 20 mins after several miles of driving it will still rattle ever so slightly. and after a restart like that it taps under heavy accel. like a sticky lifter or something.

I just changed my oil today. After I was done I started it and the rattle was really loud. After a few seconds it had stopped so it has something to do with the oil draining completely down to the oil pan. I did a mix of 5w-20 and 0w-20 I don't hear no difference. Now I saw a product from BARS they have a additive for oil. I don't know how good it is but the bottle is split in 2 with a real dark substance and a light substance. I am almost in a position to try it. Like I said it's thicker than molasses but I don't want to clog nothing up

Bars is a product used by used car dealers when they want to unload a junker. I wouldn't use it.

MA70, put a quart of Rislone or Marvel Mystery Oil into the oil, drive it about 50-75 miles then change the oil. Either product will clean gunk out of the lifters and free them up if they are a little sticky. Don't drive it hard though, this stuff thins the oil out a bit which is part of what helps it clean out the crap.

I used sea foam in the engine and it cleaned it but I was doing some research. I think it maybe the timing chain tensioner.

I used sea foam in the engine and it cleaned it but I was doing some research. I think it maybe the timing chain tensioner.

2004, probably not. The timing chain tensioner issues are usually pre 2003.
You may find that you have a cam moving in a direction that it is not supposed to.

Members online

No members online now.
Back