Engine mount lessons learned

98lincmk7lsc

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing the engine mounts on Scott's (achesonm8) car tomorrow and wanted to see if any of you guys had any "lessons learned" from doing this? I'll be using an engine support bar to hold the weight of the engine and/or lift it up some, if needed.

I know some have needed to shorten the through-bolt on the passenger side, but is there anything else that would be helpful or might make it go a little faster? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

If you're doing it on jack stands, use a Jack and a piece of 2x4, place board under the oil pan and apply very slight pressure, remove lower bolt for the mount to cradle then lift engine with jack a couple pumps, remove mount bolts to block. Replace mount and repeat on other side

have a few jacks and stands to carry that subframe down/up; we stripped threads on one of those reverse star whatever bolts...reassembled missing one bolt; discontinued part of course

the guy that did mine had a steel bar and the length adjusted; it had two pyramid shaped bases on either end that sat on top of the wheels, inside the side edge of the hood; then the engine was chained to some eyes mounted on the bar- supported from above

You dont have to lower the cradle at all dnsheril

fair enough- we just followed a write-up from the other Mark VIII forum- thinking that pushing the engine up could disconnect countless elec/vac connections

Thanks to all on this forum...Jay I were able to change out the D side without lowering subframe and we used the engine lift tool that spans the engine bay to raise the engine up...it took longer than expected (well...longer than Jay had hoped it would take) as we had difficulty getting the new motor mount back in and positioned correctly...No way I could have done it by myself and I was pleased to be Jay's helper... I learned a lot and I have peace of mind that the job was done correctly...I can't say that for the "stealership". The p-side needs still to be replaced but that will have to wait. We also diagnosed that rear suspension control arm bushings (prob both inner and outer) need replacing). Something I might be able to do myself but I will not attempt w/o another daily driver...maybe I should quit my job in Kannapolis and get me a "liquor cycle" before the NC state guvment requires registration(tags), motorcycle license and insurance for 50 cc scooters...it's coming ...taxes and death for sure! Onward or perhaps I should say rearward to fix the rear end (ass of the beast) of my Mark VIII...yep, if it ain't one thing it is another! Good stuff! :) I bet there is a gear puller or tool out there to remove those metal sleeves from the rear control arms. From what I have researched here, brute force and ignorance is a valuable way to do things also! Like my headlamp experiment! I have read a bit about rear end control arm bushings and replacement here on this forum also. I am ignorant...thanks for the education! :cool: Google seems to be a better search engine for this forum than the forum search engine...just my experience though!

have a few jacks and stands to carry that subframe down/up; we stripped threads on one of those reverse star whatever bolts...reassembled missing one bolt; discontinued part of course

External Torx.

I have extras.

Thanks. I think the main lesson learned is that the subframe does not have be lowered although it might take less time if removal of the external torx bolts went smoothly...not something we could be sure of and we errred on the safe side so that I could get back on the road home! Looking forward to working on the IRS bushings. Could be a bitch and again not something...after reading more about it...that I want to attempt on my own being dependent on this one car for my transportation!

Does the subframe/cradle need to be dropped to replace the p-side motor mount?

no, see post #3 ...some people will push the engine up at oil pan... some aftermarket mounts are about 1/4'' too long and will completely wreck your day, I think it was the pass side specifically...won't go in, u have to grind it down

Members online

No members online now.
Back