Eibach spring issues

2000sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I recently bought a set up eibach springs from a member here. Unopened box and all. Got them installed. I've given them several days plus a 400 mile roundtrip drive to Detroit to settle. And now I'm noticing the driver's side (both front and rear) is roughly 1" higher than the passenger side. Could this be because I failed to properly set the height of the unloaded upper control arms when I installed them last year? Any other ideas? I'm all ears...

Oh, and pics once I wash it

1 inch is pretty significant. However, I have the same springs still on the car (4 years ago they were installed by a Ford dealership). I've noticed that when if I go over a steep drive or large speedbump too fast, that when the underside of the car scrapes..it's part of the frame on the passenger side. Never the drivers side..always the same spot under the car.
Which seems to indicate that the passenger side is sitting slightly lower.

Visually..I cant really tell just by looking at the car itself

I measured 27" from ground to top of the arch in the fender on the passenger side and 28" for the drivers side. It's pretty obvious when you look at the two sides together.

If you got them used there is a good chance you put both the back springs on one side and the front ones on the other side, which allowed them to settle in more on the one side. Just a thought...

If you got them used there is a good chance you put both the back springs on one side and the front ones on the other side, which allowed them to settle in more on the one side. Just a thought...

this is what i was thinking. Also make sure wherever youre measuring is an even/flat surface. I know i've been fooled sometimes.

They were in an unopened box. I confirmed part numbers (001 front, 002 rear) before installing them. :confused:

did you try measuring it while you are sitting in the car?
made a difference in my bro's sho with drop springs... tilted empty, level with him in it.
don't think it was an inch though. 1/2 inch maybe.

The ground has to be totally level. So make sure you're not just being fooled by the suspension.

And the only thing I can think of is one of them is seated wrong or like the otber posters said, you put a rear in the front or some combination that is incorrect.

if the spring wasnt indexed properly, it could cause one side to sit higher than the other

I made sure to seat them correctly. Otherwise I wouldn't come on hear asking for opinions. All the usually suspects are out. And im about out of ideas.

Maybe the car has always been cocked and you just now noticing it with the lowered look.

Maybe it was that idiot who helped you install them :p

Seriously though. Drive over sometime this week if this does not get sorted out. I'd like to see this myself

i would switch sides with the shock and see if the high side switches sides too, you also may have gotten a defective spring

I will try tomorrow. Got a class after work that goes til 9pm. So maybe after that. I'm going to try and readjust the control arms tonight

did you try measuring it while you are sitting in the car?
made a difference in my bro's sho with drop springs... tilted empty, level with him in it.
don't think it was an inch though. 1/2 inch maybe.

hum,,,be interesting to see someone reach from the drivers seat to both front fenders to measure to height.......do you know were I can get these type of go go gadget arms? :joke

Sounds kinda odd that the height would be that off, an Inch is significant, almost like the one side never lowered...

I wonder if he accidently put one of the stock springs back on,

Measure all of the springs you took off to see if one is shorter than the others just to make sure you put all the right springs back on.

hum,,,be interesting to see someone reach from the drivers seat to both front fenders to measure to height.......do you know were I can get these type of go go gadget arms? :joke

Sounds kinda odd that the height would be that off, an Inch is significant, almost like the one side never lowered...

besides it wouldn't matter if he was in the car or not, companies don't sell springs that are a certain height with the driver in the car, how would they account for all different weight drivers. it should be level befor he gets in the car.

I checked the springs I removed last night, and all were OEM.

I'm still thinking its the bushings on the upper control arm, which have a lot of tension to them.

You are supposed to measure the distance from center of hub to the fender lip before removing the UCA, then jacking up the hub to that point when you replace, which I failed to do. They don't specify this step in the shop manual for the front UCA's but do for the rears, and since both use similarly designed bushings, its easy to see why this may be the root cause of my issue.

I will attempt to re-align both FL and RL UCA's tonight and see if it makes a difference.

The passenger side has settled to a nice height, and I can only hope for the same out of the driver's side soon.

Adjusted the upper control arm and got another 1/4". But when I lifted the passenger
Side to check the measurement of hub to fender it seems as if I lost 1/2" of
Drop and am back to 27.5" on that side now. Granted, the driver side is damn close
To 27.5 now too so at least it's kind of even. I'm
Calling eibach in the morning to see what they say. Bullschmidt, I will see you tomorrow and we can compare measurements

Adjusted the upper control arm and got another 1/4". But when I lifted the passenger
Side to check the measurement of hub to fender it seems as if I lost 1/2" of
Drop and am back to 27.5" on that side now. Granted, the driver side is damn close
To 27.5 now too so at least it's kind of even. I'm
Calling eibach in the morning to see what they say. Bullschmidt, I will see you tomorrow and we can compare measurements

;)

I have the same springs still on the car (4 years ago they were installed by a Ford dealership). I've noticed that when if I go over a steep drive or large speedbump too fast, that when the underside of the car scrapes..it's part of the frame on the passenger side. Never the drivers side..always the same spot under the car.
Which seems to indicate that the passenger side is sitting slightly lower.

Visually..I cant really tell just by looking at the car itself

I have the exact problem! I noticed right after I got new tires(from 235 to 255) with original stock springs. Mine scrapes almost on any dip. Also I haven't measured it but I've stuck my fingers in between the tire & the frame & there is about a inch of difference from the pass to the driver side. I need to know what is causing this?!?!?! Because it's messing up my new tire.

ive also got same issue on my driver rear , maybe is a manufacture diffect?ive had mine several years now but weird and all of you have the same issues?dont know if i should replace them with the same company or buy something different?

If you have both front springs installed on the front, and both rear springs installed on the rear... check to see if your sway bar links are intact.

Otherwise I would question the spring/strut mount coil seat... maybe one or more are degradded/crushed/falling apart.

Isn't there a correct position for the spring/coil installment... like the end of the coil has to be positioned correctly against the "upper" strut mount coil seat?

getimage.jpg

Members online

Back