Easiest Tinted lens diy ever!

not what I was expecting on the taillights...

Maybe I should just stay traditional and get the film or spray...

How did you go about doing them ls208? Like did you simmer them on the stove long enough or whatever?
yea definatley wasnt what i was expecting to come out of it either, my side marker lenses came out great and these just sucked. yea what i did was get a couple of turkey roasting tins thingys from walmart (about $2 bucks each) put them on my burners and filled them with water and about a bottle and 1/2 or the dye in each (wanted to make sure they got plenty dark). after the dye was nice and bubbly i put the lights in and let them simmer like the first instructions said to andjust checked them once in a while. after about a hour and a half i checked them and they looked pretty dark so i took them out and rinsed and let them dry. but after i polished them the red just popped right back through. like i said in another post i think the chrome reflects to good in the light housing because if you look at them at angles the red lense on my lights are pretty dark just the chrome kills it.

you look at them at angles the red lense on my lights are pretty dark just the chrome kills it.

I think the dye method works very well when trying to smoke an object but if you are trying to blackout an object I think the spray works the best for that. Good Luck and keep us posted on what you do.

I think the dye method works very well when trying to smoke an object but if you are trying to blackout an object I think the spray works the best for that. Good Luck and keep us posted on what you do.

yea your probably right, does anyone know if any places carry the vht spray or somwthing equivilant or if its something that you have to order?

Rick, I kind of need some spare parts. How does the main lens look?

one of them is in good condition, the other...not so much. when a guy sanded down my hood at a body shop he insisted on re-spraying my eyebrows since he saw them peeling off a little at the edges. so he took the eyebrows off and put some spray (what i can only assume to have been contact spray :mad: ) and it completely messed up the top (where the eyebrow goes) part of the lens. everything else is in tact though. i can take pics if you'd like, i have a D-SLR so you should be able to see the details clearly. if you still want them then then i'll let you have them.

Has anyone else done this mod? Like to see what it looks like before jumping in ;) .

i think people have only tinted them, me included. it should be exactly like doing the side markers because they are not large objects. again, i wouldn't go that dark

yea your probably right, does anyone know if any places carry the vht spray or somwthing equivilant or if its something that you have to order?

I haven't ever seen the VHT niteshade in stores but a napa or car quest MIGHT carry it but I would just order a can online. It works very well if you prep the surface properly and take your time when spraying it and spray it in multiple layers and not just one or two thick coats

I finally found another set of headlights for my projector install project but decided to try this out first. They came out great. Thanks to JWerner for the write up, this was definitely one of the easiest mods I've done so far. I went as dark as possible (let them simmer for over 2 hours.) As you can see I haven't hit it them with the rubbing compound or wax yet but here's the pics:
cimg0253r.jpg
cimg0254q.jpg

Awesome man! Get some good polish on those and a good sealant.

I finally found another set of headlights for my projector install project but decided to try this out first. They came out great. Thanks to JWerner for the write up, this was definitely one of the easiest mods I've done so far. I went as dark as possible (let them simmer for over 2 hours.) As you can see I haven't hit it them with the rubbing compound or wax yet but here's the pics:
cimg0253r.jpg
cimg0254q.jpg

is that a dog treat? my dog wanted to know

Snaw somes. Yuk:D
As long as you dont eat Bully sticks.

Members online

Back