Droid X issues

topher5150

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I bought a new Droid X a week or two ago, and since I got it it likes to reboot randomly, especially during a phone call. I took it to Verizon they did a "soft reset", unplug the battery when it's on the plug it back in, and that didn't do anything. Any one have any suggestions?

return it and get an iphone.

lol.

I was gonna go the droid route and havent ever been an apple fan but im liking this phone a lot.

Could be something as simple as re-installing the factory (or, better yet, a custom ROM), or it could be as complicated as a loose hardware part moving around and losing contact with the circuit(s) it's soldered to.

If you were rooted, I could show you how to look at your system logs and see what's causing the reboots.

Perhaps take it back to Verizon and demand a replacement? And stay away from the iToy... errr. phone.

itoy??

As much as i hate apple they know how to make a phone. Only rant i have is no flash video support and the lack of 4G but it can do everything an android phone can do. Also has the highest resolution screen.

android phones are just more customizable but those huge screens suck power and have horrid battery life.

Verizon will make it right but you have to keep going back and take it in. If it's only a week or lets say 14 days or less old, they should replace it. at&t would and Verizon is in a world of competition. If they want to keep you as a customer, tell them to replace the whole damn phone.

android phones are just more customizable but those huge screens suck power and have horrid battery life.

False. At any rate, if I do manage to drain most of my battery in a day, I can pop it out and pop in the extra battery I keep charged when I get home form work. :D

I'd take the DX back and demand a replacement. The only time I've ever gotten random reboots with my Droid was in the early ROM days when I was flashing something new every week. If the phone is in its original condition that's unacceptable. Phone retailers are unhelpful if you aren't assertive, but if you make it clear you want something done they would usually give in than lose business.

Not false.

Both the evo and thunderbolt have horrible battery life. Yes you can pop in an extra battery but still the battery life sucks.

honestly.... i have a droid x and it randomly reboots on me too (not during calls though) and its slow as hell, i've gotten several replacements from verizon and they're all the same

Yup. iToy. This is what I call it.

As much as i hate apple they know how to make a phone.

Apple designed a phone with "off the shelf", 2+ year old technology. They know how to MARKET a phone. What hardware in the iphone is so revolutionary that no other smart phone on the market has, aside from the marginally higher resolution? It's all about marketing. This, I'll give to Apple. They can take a turd, rename it "iTurd" and make fanboys think Apple invented the process of taking a crap.

Only rant i have is no flash video support and the lack of 4G but it can do everything an android phone can do.

Ok. Can your iPhone do flash? Oh wait. You covered that. 4G? Please, 4G is nothing more than hype at this point, since it's not fully implemented in the few markets it's available in, let alone all over the country. And yes, I have 4G support on my phones... well, all except the "grenade" and the Sat phone.

Iphone doesn't do widgets.

iPhone won't let me practically choose my own hardware.

Iphone won't let me plug it into a PC and let me use it as a storage device without going through iTunes.

iPhone has nowhere near the notification capabilities of the Android Os.
I can change settings with a single tap... oh wait. That's part of the "widgets thing".

iPhone doesn't do social media integration very well. Again, facebook, twitter, etc updated on a screen widget in real time...? No.

iPhone doesn't do open source. I can whip up a text editor, write the code I need upload it to the phone via USB or bluetooth and run it as perl or php.

iPhone doesn't do text reflow.

iPhone has but one "legit" app store. Android has.. well, many. Android market, Amazon Market, soon Sony Market...

iPhone has a whopping 5MP Camera. Yes, very, very advanced for such a revolutionary device, isn't it, when most Android phones ship with an 8MP camera. So, iPhone doesn't do pictures better, either.

Look if you like the iphone for the simple and old technology device that it is, that's fine. It's your money and you buy what YOU want. But an iPhone is NOT the end to all phones, nor it is the "one size fits all" that Apple would like you to believe. Sorry.

Also has the highest resolution screen.

This I have agree, so far it is. LG's coming out with a 1xxx pixel screen in June. But seriously, how much resolution do you need on a cell phone?

Really. So, an Super AMOLED or SuperLCD sucks battery power? Short battery life is attributed more to the CPU cycles the CPU burns through in order to update all of those cool widgets Android phones have. And of course, by extent, the extra work the radio hardware has to do to transfer all that real time data for those widgets. Granted, the screens play a factor in the equation, but not as much as you'd like to think.

I can turn off all of my data connections and get at least 3 days out of any of my phones(adroid, Linux, proprietary quallcom, and Symbian).

The iPhone is fine for what it was designed to do. That is, almost everything, but in a mediocre fashion. The only saving grace to the iPhone is the ginormous availability of applications. Everything from a fart application to full blown GPS navigation... and even that, I really don't know if there are any 3rd party GPS navigation apps for the iPhone. If there are, cool. If not...

Not false.

Both the evo and thunderbolt have horrible battery life. Yes you can pop in an extra battery but still the battery life sucks.

Yes this is true. I can usually last through the day on one battery charge with my Thunderbolt. But if I use it a lot it usually goes dead around 6.

If I'm in a 4g location (10 miles from my house :mad:) it makes up for it big time.

I have an older droid X and it does the same thing, random reboot and the screen freezes. they did the same thing and did a soft reset. I have to much data to loose at the moment to do a hard reset.

Titanium Back-up. Cheap, and it will back up all of your apps and user data. Flash to a new / or factory ROM and restore all of your data.

Address book is automatically synched with google, so that will restore automatically.

Yup. iToy. This is what I call it.

Apple designed a phone with "off the shelf", 2+ year old technology. They know how to MARKET a phone. What hardware in the iphone is so revolutionary that no other smart phone on the market has, aside from the marginally higher resolution? It's all about marketing. This, I'll give to Apple. They can take a turd, rename it "iTurd" and make fanboys think Apple invented the process of taking a crap.

Ok. Can your iPhone do flash? Oh wait. You covered that. 4G? Please, 4G is nothing more than hype at this point, since it's not fully implemented in the few markets it's available in, let alone all over the country. And yes, I have 4G support on my phones... well, all except the "grenade" and the Sat phone.

Iphone won't let me plug it into a PC and let me use it as a storage device without going through iTunes.

I can change settings with a single tap... oh wait. That's part of the "widgets thing".

iPhone doesn't do social media integration very well. Again, facebook, twitter, etc updated on a screen widget in real time...? No.

iPhone doesn't do open source. I can whip up a text editor, write the code I need upload it to the phone via USB or bluetooth and run it as perl or php.

iPhone has but one "legit" app store. Android has.. well, many. Android market, Amazon Market, soon Sony Market...

iPhone has a whopping 5MP Camera. Yes, very, very advanced for such a revolutionary device, isn't it, when most Android phones ship with an 8MP camera. So, iPhone doesn't do pictures better, either.

Look if you like the iphone for the simple and old technology device that it is, that's fine. It's your money and you buy what YOU want. But an iPhone is NOT the end to all phones, nor it is the "one size fits all" that Apple would like you to believe. Sorry.

This I have agree, so far it is. LG's coming out with a 1xxx pixel screen in June. But seriously, how much resolution do you need on a cell phone?

Really. So, an Super AMOLED or SuperLCD sucks battery power? Short battery life is attributed more to the CPU cycles the CPU burns through in order to update all of those cool widgets Android phones have. And of course, by extent, the extra work the radio hardware has to do to transfer all that real time data for those widgets. Granted, the screens play a factor in the equation, but not as much as you'd like to think.

I can turn off all of my data connections and get at least 3 days out of any of my phones(adroid, Linux, proprietary quallcom, and Symbian).

The iPhone is fine for what it was designed to do. That is, almost everything, but in a mediocre fashion. The only saving grace to the iPhone is the ginormous availability of applications. Everything from a fart application to full blown GPS navigation... and even that, I really don't know if there are any 3rd party GPS navigation apps for the iPhone. If there are, cool. If not...

I'm not an I phone fan but it does do something better than any android. My girl friend is visually impaired and can only see about %10. The I phone is more adaptable to her then all the android platforms she has played with. That being said she still would rather have the android, If only a "better" suited phone came out for her.....and someday it just might.

Titanium Back-up. Cheap, and it will back up all of your apps and user data. Flash to a new / or factory ROM and restore all of your data.

Address book is automatically synched with google, so that will restore automatically.

Im downloading that right now but I still have to transfer all my pictures someday because I have a few gigs worth...

This, I'll give to Apple. They can take a turd, rename it "iTurd" and make fanboys think Apple invented the process of taking a crap.
That right there was worth the cost of reading this whole thread...:cool:

honestly.... i have a droid x and it randomly reboots on me too (not during calls though) and its slow as hell, i've gotten several replacements from verizon and they're all the same

I would have gotten one but this is what turned me away.

The original iphones i was not a fan of. not until the 3GS did i start looking at them and even then i waited till the 4.

No but theres a browser called skyfire than can do flash. I dont have an issue since i just go to the mobile versions of the websites i visit.

No it does not.

No and this is apple of course they dont.

I can plug my phone into the pc and itunes does not open. It shows up as a device in my computer and i can just drap and drop files just like an external hard drive. And i have 16GB of storage.

I prefer less notifications myself.

Facebook and twitter are available as apps....i haven't used them but they are supposed to work very well.

Of course it doesnt and anyone buying one knows this.

ok.....

It can be jailbroken but the apple app store suffices for majority of users.

And since when does the megapixel of a camera make it better than another? I would have thought you of all people would know that the optics are more important and being a 5mp it can hold its own against the 8mp android cams.

I just got and havent really broken it in yet but so far i can do everything i need to with it and its really light, easy to carry and battery life is great.

I dont think its the end to all phones and its already a year old almost but still works damn good and doubles up as a portable media player. And it is definitely not old technology.

The screen is the first thing i look at and frankly after having the retina display i wouldint want anything less.

So you agree that android devices have bad battery life right??

I bet if i turn all mine off i can get that plus more.

In your opinion it does but from an unbiased user (i have no brand loyalty i actually dislike apple and only use the ipod/iphones) it can do what it does very well and better than others.

I cant comment on the gps apps but they do exist.

Yes this is true. I can usually last through the day on one battery charge with my Thunderbolt. But if I use it a lot it usually goes dead around 6.

If I'm in a 4g location (10 miles from my house :mad:) it makes up for it big time.

4G isnt ready yet so having a phone without it doesnt bother me too much. 3G isnt too bad and any large files i just piggyback off my home 12mb connection.

Ive ran speedtest several times and my average on 3G is about 190KB/s up and 150KB/s down.

I prefer HTC over moto for android phones.

I would suggest the Droid Incredible.

I would have gotten one but this is what turned me away.

It's only software. Though, I agree, if my phone did that on a regular basis, I would chuck it faster than a fat kid can make a piece of cake disappear.

No but theres a browser called skyfire than can do flash. I dont have an issue since i just go to the mobile versions of the websites i visit.

Again, it works for you and that's fine. Is it in the App store?

I can plug my phone into the pc and itunes does not open. It shows up as a device in my computer and i can just drap and drop files just like an external hard drive. And i have 16GB of storage.

This must be an iOS thing then, and only for the iPhone. If I plug my iPad ("OMG! He has an Ipad?" Yes.), it won't show up as a mass storage device. Though, I am on 4.2, I think.

I prefer less notifications myself.

Android can do that as well.

Facebook and twitter are available as apps....i haven't used them but they are supposed to work very well.

No argument there. My point was, the ability to have them work in "real time" as a widget is not there. you have to actually launch those particular apps and use them as such.

Of course it doesnt and anyone buying one knows this.

I beg to differ. I know quite a few iPhone users. A lot of them don't know this. Granted, out of those, most don't care. So, it's a wash, I suppose.

It can be jailbroken but the apple app store suffices for majority of users.

I know this. But it's an extra thing that Mothership Apple frowns upon.

And since when does the megapixel of a camera make it better than another? I would have thought you of all people would know that the optics are more important and being a 5mp it can hold its own against the 8mp android cams.

Optics are not so important as is the physical (not pixel count, but actual size) of the CCD sensor. I was trying to strengthen my point that such a "revolutionary" device has 2 year (going on 3) old technology in it.

I just got and havent really broken it in yet but so far i can do everything i need to with it and its really light, easy to carry and battery life is great.

And that's fine. Me, for example, it would not work well for my needs. If I have to jump through 3 hoops, do 2 circles and stand on my head just to ssh into my home network, it's not worth it.

I dont think its the end to all phones and its already a year old almost but still works damn good and doubles up as a portable media player. And it is definitely not old technology.

It's almost a year old. Most other smart phones double as a media player. And again... I'm sorry to sound redundant, but it is old technology.

The screen is the first thing i look at and frankly after having the retina display i wouldint want anything less.

I want a plasma display, damn it!

ps. The "retina display" is a name that Apple gave to the in-plane-switching LCD screens they put into the iphone4. It's actually made by LG.

So you agree that android devices have bad battery life right??

Do I "agree"? I can see this is a loaded question, and I'm sure you already have the link to prove me wrong all queued up. I never said ALL android devices have a better battery life than the iPhone. But when you compare the iPhone screen power draws to others, yes. It is inferior. You see, it's not really the LCD pixels that draws the power. Most of the power used to show you that little screen (on any LCD phone, really), goes to the backlight. LED backlights are of course, more efficient than say, old school CFL backlights. And AMOLED can be up to 90% more efficient than even an IPS LCD.

I bet if i turn all mine off i can get that plus more.

Is that a challenge? Because I'll turn off all the radios on a test phone running Android, scale down the CPU frequency to about 120MHz, kill all non essential apps (incidentally, something else you can do out of the box with android. The "kill pid" command), and it will last longer. :lol:

In your opinion it does but from an unbiased user (i have no brand loyalty i actually dislike apple and only use the ipod/iphones) it can do what it does very well and better than others.

I would not call myself a biased user. Anyone who knows me in real life has generally given up on being surprised when I have a different phone from the last time they saw me.

I cant comment on the gps apps but they do exist.

I'm sure they do, but are they in the official nothership sanctioned apple store?

4G isnt ready yet so having a phone without it doesnt bother me too much. 3G isnt too bad and any large files i just piggyback off my home 12mb connection.

At least we agree on one thing...?

Ive ran speedtest several times and my average on 3G is about 190KB/s up and 150KB/s down.

I remember reading somewhere that ATT actually chokes the iphone data connections on the network to throttle them down. ~shrug~

Im downloading that right now but I still have to transfer all my pictures someday because I have a few gigs worth...

The pictures should be on your SD card, not on the phone's internal memory. If they are on the SD card, then you're good to go. If they are on the phone's internal memory, fire up file explorer and copy them to the SD card.

A ROM flash will not wipe your SD card unless you tell the ROM manager to format the card.

It's only software. Though, I agree, if my phone did that on a regular basis, I would chuck it faster than a fat kid can make a piece of cake disappear.

This is where apple excels.....i have yet to get the phone to freeze or had any reboots.

Again, it works for you and that's fine. Is it in the App store?

Yeah its in the app store. But its a $2.99 download.

This must be an iOS thing then, and only for the iPhone. If I plug my iPad ("OMG! He has an Ipad?" Yes.), it won't show up as a mass storage device. Though, I am on 4.2, I think.

I have an ipod touch as well as the phone and all you do is go into itunes and uncheck the box inside of itunes and it will stop itunes from opening first.

No argument there. My point was, the ability to have them work in "real time" as a widget is not there. you have to actually launch those particular apps and use them as such.

If i used them i would test that out.

I beg to differ. I know quite a few iPhone users. A lot of them don't know this. Granted, out of those, most don't care. So, it's a wash, I suppose.

The typical iphone user is just an apple fanboy yes.

Optics are not so important as is the physical (not pixel count, but actual size) of the CCD sensor. I was trying to strengthen my point that such a "revolutionary" device has 2 year (going on 3) old technology in it.

Have you compared them?

Like i said its a very good 5mp camera. 720p video is on point as well.

And that's fine. Me, for example, it would not work well for my needs. If I have to jump through 3 hoops, do 2 circles and stand on my head just to ssh into my home network, it's not worth it.

What are you trying to do?

I got the phone came home and it recognized my network and i just typed in the passcode and i was set.

It's almost a year old. Most other smart phones double as a media player. And again... I'm sorry to sound redundant, but it is old technology.

But they arent as versatle as the iphone's media player. The ipod is an amazing media player and the iphone does it the same way.

I want a plasma display, damn it!

ps. The "retina display" is a name that Apple gave to the in-plane-switching LCD screens they put into the iphone4. It's actually made by LG.

From what i read general jobs gave it that term because if you hold the phone 6 inches away from your eye then the human eye cannot see anything higher than that resolution.

Do I "agree"? I can see this is a loaded question, and I'm sure you already have the link to prove me wrong all queued up. I never said ALL android devices have a better battery life than the iPhone. But when you compare the iPhone screen power draws to others, yes. It is inferior. You see, it's not really the LCD pixels that draws the power. Most of the power used to show you that little screen (on any LCD phone, really), goes to the backlight. LED backlights are of course, more efficient than say, old school CFL backlights. And AMOLED can be up to 90% more efficient than even an IPS LCD.

The screen may draw more power overall but if we put two devices side by side and one last longer than the other that is what truly matters in a battery life test.

Talk time on 3G is rated for 6-7 hours. show me an android phone capable of the same.

Is that a challenge? Because I'll turn off all the radios on a test phone running Android, scale down the CPU frequency to about 120MHz, kill all non essential apps (incidentally, something else you can do out of the box with android. The "kill pid" command), and it will last longer. :lol:

If i didnt need to use my phone everyday it would be a challenge. I dont know if the A4 chip can scale itself down but i can shut off all the radios and kill apps in memory as well (double tap home button and hold the icons).

I would not call myself a biased user. Anyone who knows me in real life has generally given up on being surprised when I have a different phone from the last time they saw me.

Then you must hate apple?

Because its far from a toy. But i may get bored eventually and get something from HTC. Really what i like most is the form factor of the phone.

I'm sure they do, but are they in the official nothership sanctioned apple store?

Yes they are.

I will not bring up apps that the phone cant use unless jailbroken as mine isnt jailbroken and the majority arent either.

At least we agree on one thing...?

Well since its the truth...

I remember reading somewhere that ATT actually chokes the iphone data connections on the network to throttle them down. ~shrug~

Im not very fond of AT&T after they added caps to their broadband connections. Im glad to have the verizon version of the phone.

This is where apple excels.....i have yet to get the phone to freeze or had any reboots.

Put it into the freezer.

I have an ipod touch as well as the phone and all you do is go into itunes and uncheck the box inside of itunes and it will stop itunes from opening first.

I'll try that next time I have to use it.

Have you compared them?

Side by side? No. I'd have to get an iPhone 4 first. Unfortunately, 720p on paper is not the same as 720p in action. Lots of smart phones can do 720p. But not many (even 8MP ones) can pull off true 720p. It takes a lot of horsepower to encode a video stream to that container format.

What are you trying to do?

Access my home computer network. Check logs. Upload patches to software I may have written, be it for testing or full use.

I got the phone came home and it recognized my network and i just typed in the passcode and i was set.

You didn't have to marry it to your copy of iTunes first? I thought (from my previous iPhone experience), you had to plug it in before you could use it.

But they arent as versatle as the iphone's media player. The ipod is an amazing media player and the iphone does it the same way.

Define "versatile". They all play music. Matter of fact, other phone OS's (like Android, since we're talking about it) can play a lot more audio and video formats than can the iPhone.

From what i read general jobs gave it that term because if you hold the phone 6 inches away from your eye then the human eye cannot see anything higher than that resolution.

This may be so. But it's still marketing. "Retina Display". It just rolls off the tongue, don't it. haha

Talk time on 3G is rated for 6-7 hours. show me an android phone capable of the same.

This rating is a false one. Two identical iPhones (all things being equal, like equal power consumption aside from the radio hardware) will have different talk times. You may get 6-7 hours if you're next to a tower. If you're 2 miles away, the phone's radio will boost it's wattage to reach said tower. More wattage = more power consumption. This is true of any GSM or CDMA phone. The tower practically dictates to the phone how much power it needs in order for the tower to "hear" your phone as well as could be. If you live in a very populated area, Cell towers are everywhere. Tops of buildings, disguised as palm trees, attached to big advertising bill boards, etc. etc. As such, cell phone radios don't need to pump out the extra wattage they would if say, the closest tower was 2 miles away.

If i didnt need to use my phone everyday it would be a challenge. I dont know if the A4 chip can scale itself down but i can shut off all the radios and kill apps in memory as well (double tap home button and hold the icons).

I'm sure with the proper kernel configurations it can scale down. After all, it's only a matter of how much voltage you're giving the processor.

Double tapping the home button to kill apps is fine. But there are a lot of other processes that while not necessary for the kernel to be stable, will still stay in memory unless specifically "killed" through a command like say, the UNIX "kill" command.

Then you must hate apple?

"Hate" is a strong word. I have apple products. I just don't care for the iPhone.

Because its far from a toy.

Eh. I consider it a toy. Since I'm the world's foremost expert on my opinions, I'll stick to that opinion.

But i may get bored eventually and get something from HTC. Really what i like most is the form factor of the phone.

But... why?

Im not very fond of AT&T after they added caps to their broadband connections. Im glad to have the verizon version of the phone.

Apple screwed up when they came out with the first iPhone. They should have sold it unlocked. They'd have sold a lot more (hell, if you look at the statistics of locked vs unlocked iphones out there, you'll understand why), iPhones. Now, granted, Apple made a hell of a lot more money by exclusively releasing the iPhone only to one carrier, originally.

Did you know Apple first approached Verizon before they approached ATT? Verizon told Apple to go pound sand, since they weren't going to subsidize the phone AND split some of the profits.

Put it into the freezer.

Ha funny.

Side by side? No. I'd have to get an iPhone 4 first. Unfortunately, 720p on paper is not the same as 720p in action. Lots of smart phones can do 720p. But not many (even 8MP ones) can pull off true 720p. It takes a lot of horsepower to encode a video stream to that container format.

Do some research and you will see that the iphone does 720p in H.264 at 30fps.....Droid X does it in 24fps with MPEG-4.

Ive personally tested the iphone 4 video against the evo and its actually better. I wont embed it here but you can check out the link and see the video quality. If this isnt true hd well i dont know what is:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMWp4n_0nnw

You didn't have to marry it to your copy of iTunes first? I thought (from my previous iPhone experience), you had to plug it in before you could use it.

No i walked out of the store with the phone activated and ready to use.

Define "versatile". They all play music. Matter of fact, other phone OS's (like Android, since we're talking about it) can play a lot more audio and video formats than can the iPhone.

Its the most popular media player in the world. Has the most accessories and has been out since 2001. I would call that versatile.

This may be so. But it's still marketing. "Retina Display". It just rolls off the tongue, don't it. haha

I just call it that since thats what they named it.

This rating is a false one. Two identical iPhones (all things being equal, like equal power consumption aside from the radio hardware) will have different talk times. You may get 6-7 hours if you're next to a tower. If you're 2 miles away, the phone's radio will boost it's wattage to reach said tower. More wattage = more power consumption. This is true of any GSM or CDMA phone. The tower practically dictates to the phone how much power it needs in order for the tower to "hear" your phone as well as could be. If you live in a very populated area, Cell towers are everywhere. Tops of buildings, disguised as palm trees, attached to big advertising bill boards, etc. etc. As such, cell phone radios don't need to pump out the extra wattage they would if say, the closest tower was 2 miles away.

I have gotten more than 4 hours of talk time with the phone with battery life still remaning so i feel confident that the rating is valid.

I'm sure with the proper kernel configurations it can scale down. After all, it's only a matter of how much voltage you're giving the processor.

The chip is already underclocked from its native 1Ghz so i think it can be done.

Double tapping the home button to kill apps is fine. But there are a lot of other processes that while not necessary for the kernel to be stable, will still stay in memory unless specifically "killed" through a command like say, the UNIX "kill" command.

"Hate" is a strong word. I have apple products. I just don't care for the iPhone.

I dont care for anything but the ipod or phone. Ironic isnt it.

Eh. I consider it a toy. Since I'm the world's foremost expert on my opinions, I'll stick to that opinion.

And you are entitled to that since its only an opinion and not a fact.

But... why?

Why? Its sleek, slim and fits well in the pocket. If i could run froyo on it i would. I dont care for ios but im forced to use it if i want to use this phone.

Apple screwed up when they came out with the first iPhone. They should have sold it unlocked. They'd have sold a lot more (hell, if you look at the statistics of locked vs unlocked iphones out there, you'll understand why), iPhones. Now, granted, Apple made a hell of a lot more money by exclusively releasing the iPhone only to one carrier, originally.

Yes they did and i did not care for it back then as it lacked a lot of features and was rather ugly to be honest.

Did you know Apple first approached Verizon before they approached ATT? Verizon told Apple to go pound sand, since they weren't going to subsidize the phone AND split some of the profits.

Well aware of this.

Do some research and you will see that the iphone does 720p in H.264 at 30fps.....Droid X does it in 24fps with MPEG-4.

Ive personally tested the iphone 4 video against the evo and its actually better. I wont embed it here but you can check out the link and see the video quality. If this isnt true hd well i dont know what is:

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMWp4n_0nnw

Unfortunately, in keeping with tradition, Apple hasn't yet embedded High Def screens into their laptops, so I really won't see the difference. Maybe two or three generations down the road we'll be blessed with some new, "revolutionary" (8 year old) High Def LCD Laptops from Apple.

No i walked out of the store with the phone activated and ready to use.

Fair enough.

Its the most popular media player in the world. Has the most accessories and has been out since 2001. I would call that versatile.

Just because it has the most accessories, versatile it does not make it. And of course it has the most "accessories". After all, it is the most popular portable player. Again, why? Marketing.

The portable player concept was brought to market long before Apple brought it to market. Remember the SONY Walkman? It was a portable player as well. Granted, only what, 120 minutes worth of audio, but nevertheless, it was a portable player.

I have gotten more than 4 hours of talk time with the phone with battery life still remaning so i feel confident that the rating is valid.

4 Hours, 6-7 hours it does not make. Again, I can't think of one cell phone that, in the "real world", can last as long as the manufacturer claims, in the talk time department, without taking some rather drastic steps such as turning off all radios (wifi, BT, hell, even IR, though, that's not a radio), GPS receiver, any other ancillary hardware like magnetometer, gyro, etc.

I dont care for anything but the ipod or phone. Ironic isnt it.

Remember this.

And you are entitled to that since its only an opinion and not a fact.

Most opinions are formed on some fact or other.

I dont care for ios but im forced to use it if i want to use this phone.

See, now you're contradicting yourself, my friend. First, you say you don't care for anything but the iphone/ipod. Now, you say you don't like iOS and would run Froyo on it if you could.

There are lots of Android powered devices that are similar looking to the iPhone. Granted, none of them use LG's IPS LCD (that I'm aware of), but look wise? Lots of them are rectangular and square 'ish.

Unfortunately, in keeping with tradition, Apple hasn't yet embedded High Def screens into their laptops, so I really won't see the difference. Maybe two or three generations down the road we'll be blessed with some new, "revolutionary" (8 year old) High Def LCD Laptops from Apple.

I can tell the difference on my 15.6" lcd screen @ 1680x1050 easily.

Just because it has the most accessories, versatile it does not make it. And of course it has the most "accessories". After all, it is the most popular portable player. Again, why? Marketing.

The portable player concept was brought to market long before Apple brought it to market. Remember the SONY Walkman? It was a portable player as well. Granted, only what, 120 minutes worth of audio, but nevertheless, it was a portable player.

Apple made a good reliable and easy to use player compared to the others. Ive had several walkmans both cassete and compact disc but my first mp3 player was a toshiba gigabeat and it was rather hard to use.

I have an old ipod video 30gb from 2006 thats been neglected a bit and it still works great to this day.

4 Hours, 6-7 hours it does not make. Again, I can't think of one cell phone that, in the "real world", can last as long as the manufacturer claims, in the talk time department, without taking some rather drastic steps such as turning off all radios (wifi, BT, hell, even IR, though, that's not a radio), GPS receiver, any other ancillary hardware like magnetometer, gyro, etc.

I know but several review sites have backed this up as well as myself, after an 8 hour work day and using the 3G and playing music on my breaks i still have 60%-70% battery life.

Only thing i turn off is wifi.

See, now you're contradicting yourself, my friend. First, you say you don't care for anything but the iphone/ipod. Now, you say you don't like iOS and would run Froyo on it if you could.

There are lots of Android powered devices that are similar looking to the iPhone. Granted, none of them use LG's IPS LCD (that I'm aware of), but look wise? Lots of them are rectangular and square 'ish.

I like android.

I just like the overall looks of the 4 enough to the point that i made the switch. Ive been out of contract with sprint since 2007 and the evo wasnt a good choice because sprint signal in this area isnt the greatest. I was seriously behind with an old palm phone and frankly anything is better than windows mobile.

verizon is much stronger so i switched to them since they also seem to have a better selection of phones. In the future when 4G is standard i can go android then. Unless a 4G capable iphone comes out and i like the form factor and it has a 4.0" or larger screen.

Members online

No members online now.
Back