drivin me crazy

lincolndude

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know I put this out there before,but I still havent found the problem of having hard starts when my 97mark is cold. Ive changed fuel pump,regulator,filter I even changed the plugs still no luck. now Im hearing a slight lifter tap for about 5 seconds then goes away.Oil level is perfect.when it does start its a little rough,but once it warms up runs perfect.HHEEELLLPPPP!!!!:(

When you say you changed the pump, did you change the whole basket as an assembly or just the pump alone? Could be the return line check valve. Happened to me.

just pump mech said all was good even the pump.saved for spare just in case

That startup rattle is normal. But what do you exactly mean by hard starts? How many times does it turn over, etc? And how does it perform once started?

Things that come to mind are the MAF, temperature sensor (the Gen II has just one, if the gauge is looking good then it probably is okay), fuel pressure regulator.

I would get a fuel pressure reading first. Then clean the MAF with electric parts cleaner, just don't touch the wire. Then I would move onto the IAC as mentioned.

He mentioned it runs rough after it starts up but then smothes out once warm.

Op, at what point does it smooth out? When it's at it's normal temp or do you mean once it idles down after startup?

Just a test, next time you go to start it cold, turn the key to on, but don't start it. Wait 10 seconds, do it again, then start the car. Let us know if that effects it...

now Im hearing a slight lifter tap for about 5 seconds then goes away.Oil level is perfect.QUOTE]

What oil filter are you using? Reason im asking is on my f150 and other "ford" products if it has a fram filter on it it will do this.. I put a motorcraft or wix filter on it and no tap when i first start it in the mornings.

now Im hearing a slight lifter tap for about 5 seconds then goes away.Oil level is perfect.QUOTE]

What oil filter are you using? Reason im asking is on my f150 and other "ford" products if it has a fram filter on it it will do this.. I put a motorcraft or wix filter on it and no tap when i first start it in the mornings.

Yeah fram are no good. The ideal oil filters are motorcraft (FL820s) at wally world (around 4 bucks) and have the "Pressure relief valve" and "Anti drainback valve" for cold starts.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACF-FL820S/

@dieseldan I went this morning and did what you asked but no difference.What would this have told you if it started right away?

@chris2523 both are brand new this summer @ford nut dont know to tell the truth

My mark does this:

Cold start = extended cranking and sputters to life then immediately evens out.
Warm start = immediate cranking and no sputtering to life.
Oddball start = I am guessing this is an unrelated issue. Once in a blue moon it starts normally but the starter makes a noise that sounds like when you hold the key too long. The noise sounds like that "squelch" noise, as if you try to crank it with the car already started like old people do sometimes.

I have a new fuel filter ready, I haven't had the chance to change it. This may be the issue now that I read the above post. Turning the key on for 10 sec, then off, then cranking solves the extended cranking issue. The oddball noise is still a mystery though.

My mark does this:

Cold start = extended cranking and sputters to life then immediately evens out.
Warm start = immediate cranking and no sputtering to life.
Oddball start = I am guessing this is an unrelated issue. Once in a blue moon it starts normally but the starter makes a noise that sounds like when you hold the key too long. The noise sounds like that "squelch" noise, as if you try to crank it with the car already started like old people do sometimes.I have a new fuel filter ready, I haven't had the chance to change it. This may be the issue now that I read the above post. Turning the key on for 10 sec, then off, then cranking solves the extended cranking issue. The oddball noise is still a mystery though.

That happens to me a 1 or 2 times a year. Not to cencerned about it.

I think you have a vac leak.

As for the rattle on startup thats the timing chain tensioners.

Members online

No members online now.
Back