Dreaded Oil Thread...

Dykzeulb

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So what oil do you guys run in your LS? Any additives? Do you drip change, or once it stops flowing tighten the nut and dump new stuff in?

Me-

Motorcraft 5w-20 Semi Synthetic w/ a Motorcraft Filter

Changed at dealer.

Motorcraft 5W-20 w/ Motorcraft Filter.

I used Mobil1 5w20 and a Purolator filter for my first oil change since I bought the car last week. For the next oil change, I'll do a little more research on which oil is ideal.

Are you guys both Semi or Full Syn? I was just curious, I always change my own, but the guy at O'reillys said it said full...I didn't know if it was a sales gimmick or not, I know it lasts longer.. but is it really worth it?

The owner's manual calls for synthetic blend, but I don't see the point in not going with a full synthetic. What's the added cost? An extra $10 per oil change?

5W-20 Royal Purple or Mobil1 with K&N filter. I take advantage of synthetics stability and change every 10K-15K miles.

I change with semi at every 4500, I get semi cheap, but of its supposed to by synthetic, then I will start the transformation on over

I use whatever my local FLM dealer puts in it.

Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic blend and Fram filter every 5k miles. The local Walmart does a really decent job on oil changes and tires. It's under $40 for the oil & filter change.

Always have run standard Pennzoil 5w30 without any hiccups. Considering full synthetic on my oil change after next.

My oil change:
  • 5w20 Motorcraft Synthetic Blend
  • Motorcraft Filter
  • Changed every 3,000 miles at the dealer I can't stand to go to anymore.

Considering full synthetic, every 5,000 miles. Either have a reputable shop do it or plan my trips home so I can land in and around 5,000 miles to do it myself.

5w20 Mobil 1 - Wix filter

Not to threadjack, but does anyone know how long you can drive before the message center says to change the oil. Basically, after you reset it and your at 100% oil life, how long until it gets down to 0%? Does it just go off of total miles or does it go based on the type of driving you do and other criteria?

Always have run standard Pennzoil 5w30 without any hiccups. Considering full synthetic on my oil change after next.

Any specific reason you run 5w30? The owner's manual recommends 5w20.

Motorcraft 5W20 Synthetic blend and Fram filter every 5k miles. The local Walmart does a really decent job on oil changes and tires. It's under $40 for the oil & filter change.

Careful with the Fram filter. There are loads of horror stories about Fram filters rapidly deteriorating and mixing cardboard contaminants into your oil. I recommend spending the extra $4 or so on a Purolator or similar.

It's a combination of engine run-time and mileage, IIRC.

I believe RPMs have something to do with it as well. The computer is going to assume faster wear on the oil with harder driving.

Any specific reason you run 5w30? The owner's manual recommends 5w20.

The gen I manual calls for 5w30. A later TSB recommends 5w20, but 5w30 is still acceptable for gen I.

Note that while 5w20 is very good, 0w20 is even better (and meets all Ford requirements for 5w20).

I run Amsoil Signature series good for 25k or one year with a wix filter but I don't let it go that long. Used Royal Purple for the first four years when I bought the car.

The gen I manual calls for 5w30. A later TSB recommends 5w20, but 5w30 is still acceptable for gen I.

Note that while 5w20 is very good, 0w20 is even better (and meets all Ford requirements for 5w20).

Joe....what is the date on that tsb? I wonder if it coincides with the 4/15/01 change in oil pump designs. If not, I wonder if the older design oil pump(like I have) is up to par to run 5w20.

Joe....what is the date on that tsb? I wonder if it coincides with the 4/15/01 changr in oil pump designs. If not, I wonder if the older design oil pump(like I have) is up to par to run 5w20.

I've been running Mobil 1 5-30w for the last five years. My last oil change I put Mobil 1 5-20w in. It should be fine but if its not hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Interesting about the Gen1 cars. I wasn't aware.

Joe....what is the date on that tsb? I wonder if it coincides with the 4/15/01 change in oil pump designs. If not, I wonder if the older design oil pump(like I have) is up to par to run 5w20.

I don't remember the date, but it's not related to any oil pump change. It's related to when Ford finished extended testing of the 5w20 synthetic blend and determined that it gave better wear protection than 5w30.

I don't remember the date, but it's not related to any oil pump change. It's related to when Ford finished extended testing of the 5w20 synthetic blend and determined that it gave better wear protection than 5w30.

Thx...

I feel a bit more comfortable then going to 5w20 synthetic at 5000 miles.

Members online

No members online now.
Back