door wood trim fell off my 97??

Daviddc114

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
my 97 mark viii door molding fell off on me... i was just wondering if someone on here had a similar issue and wondering there experience fixing it. i think i might use some hot glue, or maybe i will disassemble the panel and remove the metal piece and use some 2 part epoxy. not really sure. If i remove the door panel, does the metal piece even come off the door panel or is it built into the panel itself?? thanks for any input. Dave

When I hear door molding, I think of the outer door molding. Take a pic and show what you have going on.If it's inside, hot glue might work ok and epoxy would too but that stuff is going to stink inside the car for a while. You'll be driving under the influence...

I never really paid any attention to the inside door panel of a Gen 2 so I couldn't really say what to do with that.

Don't have any experience with 2nd gen door panels so I'm not sure what metal piece you mean but I'm working on a set of door panels for my car and I've bad to reglue some areas that were starting to seperate and I used loctite plastic epoxy (2 part) which has worked fine. Loctite makes a few kinds of epoxy for different materials, I bought it from home depot.

The fake wood trim has two small studs about an inch long. They are held on with these little locking washers. It goes onto the vinyl part of the door panel. The vinyl part has these plastic studs that hold it on with little 10mm nuts. They are not real nuts though. They can be removed by hand.
What most likely happened is the studs broke off it the locking washers came off.

20130420_111437_zpsa119e2d8.jpg

Glue it..or find another 2nd gen door panel and grab the trim off of it.

i just hope the metal piece comes off easily so i can correctly glue it back on and remount it correctly.. gluing it on i know is easy, just not sure if that metal piece comes off easily. I dont want to glue it on in place because i dont want it to be loose...

David,

I don't think you're gonna get a good glue joint unless you disassemble the door panels and re-glue the metal bracket back onto the trim piece.

Here's a couple of pics I shamelessly stole off of Ebay to show what the backside looks like:

http://216.92.64.63/markviii/doorpanels/doorpanels1.jpg
http://216.92.64.63/markviii/doorpanels/doorpanels2.jpg

The metal "bracket" is held on by those spring steel push nuts like this. Getting the center panel off is fairly easy, as you can twist the nuts off, as long as you do it very gently. The nylon studs will be brittle and can break easily. The metal bracket is a pain though. I ended up having to cut the nuts off with sheet metal sheers after prying them up slightly.

Thanks man, the wheels I bought used for $700 with crappy worn out tires on them, put new dunlops on after about a week of driving on the bad tires. Funny thing is the wheels came off a mark identicle to yours! Supercoupe performance sells the 18x9 cobra Rs as well as thecustomwheelshop though..I got a pretty good deal since brand new they are like $900 and my wheels were pretty much flawless.

For your door panel trim, if you remove the whole door panel, flip it around and like someone else mentioned there should be a few studs that poke through to the back held on by small sheetmetal nuts..(if it's at all like gen 1 door panels) use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove the nuts (you will understand why when you see them, they are flipped around backwards and you can't put a socket on them..the hex part faces the wrong way). Once you get those off the wood grain piece should just pop off and then you should be able to reglue it easier, so you don't get excess glue on the front of your door panel.

thanks for the info! thanks for the pics Marcus! Atleast i know i should be able to get the metal mount off easy enough. Now I Just gotta look into the right epoxy for wood to metal.

Thanks for the wheel info also, i def want to get those, there still the best looking wheels for the mark!

Just got home from work, while there i looked into a door panel just for the hell of it, and i ended up just ordering one.. i know it might be overkill but it only cost me 130 with shipping, and its the entire door panel, brand new.. Im never getting rid of the car, and just in case it gives me problems down the line id rather just get the new OEM parts now while i work for ford parts. I wont work there forever so i might as well take advantage of it while i can.. Plus now ill have a spare in case.. ill post pics of the new panel when it comes in..

How the hell did you find a new door panel for it? Aren't these things long discontinued? I searched high and low for door panels for my car before I finally found a clean used set..never would have thought to call and ask the ford dealer. Since you work for ford..could you possibly track down a new front chrome eyebrow trim for a 1st gen? They are impossible to find in good used condition. I asked the local ford dealer and they couldn't come up with anything...maybe you have more pull with that sorta thing.

How the hell did you find a new door panel for it? Aren't these things long discontinued? I searched high and low for door panels for my car before I finally found a clean used set..never would have thought to call and ask the ford dealer. Since you work for ford..could you possibly track down a new front chrome eyebrow trim for a 1st gen? They are impossible to find in good used condition. I asked the local ford dealer and they couldn't come up with anything...maybe you have more pull with that sorta thing.

+1.
Tried to send you a PM; apparently you need to check them??? Exceeded limits...

Heres the thing, ford parts guys hate the Lincoln Mark 8 because when people call most the parts they are looking for are not available, so every Ford parts guy just assumes all the parts are not available, so they look quickly and when they can't find the part they tell the customer parts for that car are not available, however this just isnt so. Although most parts are no longer available, you would be surprised what still can be had.. I look very closely and i usually find some good stuff. I would be happy to look up whatever someone on here may need. By eyrbrow, do you mean the chrome trim ovrr the headlights? Or side markers?

Heres the thing, ford parts guys hate the Lincoln Mark 8 because when people call most the parts they are looking for are not available, so every Ford parts guy just assumes all the parts are not available, so they look quickly and when they can't find the part they tell the customer parts for that car are not available, however this just isnt so. Although most parts are no longer available, you would be surprised what still can be had.. I look very closely and i usually find some good stuff. I would be happy to look up whatever someone on here may need. By eyrbrow, do you mean the chrome trim ovrr the headlights? Or side markers?

I mean the chrome trim at the edge of the hood above the grille on a 1st gen

(Runs the full length of the hood) here's a pic of mine..the chrome is starting to fade on mine.
20130419_093400_zpsce97e0cc.jpg

no i am sorry, the trim is totally unavaiable. the part number is F3LY 8419-B

for some reason there are 42 first gen Left hand headlights still available... odd..

no i am sorry, the trim is totally unavaiable. the part number is F3LY 8419-B

for some reason there are 42 first gen Left hand headlights still available... odd..

Damn..guess its back to junkyard hunting.

Members online

No members online now.
Back