Door keeps freezing Against the seal

tolincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
The temperature keeps dropping here and I'm having a problem with my door sticking to the rubber seal in the morning with ice and I have to fight with it to get it opened I'm afraid the door handle will break .

Any advice?

And the handle WILL break. They are made poorly. As suggested, lubricate the surfaces. Something that will not react with the rubber seal. Silicone being best. I suggest using a very light amount of plumbers silicone. Most sprays may disappear after a while, but something like a grease and applied by finger may stay much longer. And less messy applying.

I have a habit of only using the handles to unlock the door and pull open door with the top of the window frame. This after hearing door handles breaking. Like mentioned silicon the rubber gaskets.

I used to walk out with hot water and toss it on the door panel. You hear the ice cracking, pretty cool. Now it's just lubed up.

The other Mark isn't lubed, so I just nudge the door with the handle and then pull from the top corner of the window frame.

Don't need broken handle or seal.

And the handle WILL break. They are made poorly. As suggested, lubricate the surfaces. Something that will not react with the rubber seal. Silicone being best. I suggest using a very light amount of plumbers silicone. Most sprays may disappear after a while, but something like a grease and applied by finger may stay much longer. And less messy applying.

Yup ... handle can break ... Be careful

I have a habit of only using the handles to unlock the door and pull open door with the top of the window frame. This after hearing door handles breaking. Like mentioned silicon the rubber gaskets.

+1

+3 on the door frame. i didn't know anyone else did that.

Those who know and live in the the snow belt do this ...

Yeah ummm... I have no idea what you guys are talking about, lol.

Um my wife would only use the handle till I told her not to. Some peeps don't know about handles breaking and to stop that use door frame. Cuz I caught your sarcasm lol

Being used to the frigid climate of MN, for many many years, we found that wetting a rag with WD40 and wiping all the rubber weatherstrip including the trunk works best.
using the frame to pull on is a good idea too!:)

I remember going out to my Toyota in -40* weather up in northern Maine (suspecting I may never get that car started). It had frozen rained the night prior and everything was ice. Here are the steps I took:

1) Breathed my hot breath on the d*mn keylock until I could finally get the key in the hole.
2) Breathed more hot breath because I couldn't get the lock to turn (and I was afraid to break the key)
3) Finally get the key to turn, door frozen shut. I grabbed the frame and simply pulled - HARD!
4) Put the key in. Pray to the battery gods to be generous with my battery juice!
5) Car turned over - very slowly! More praying......
6) Car finally hit - a little - prayed more. Bam - the little Corolla started!

Cold weather sucks. I used to say it breeds character - then I quit lying to myself and others; it simply sucks.

now what

ice_car_.jpg

i replaced the passenger door handle in less than 30mins...ive never done a drivers side...but by the looks of it, it'll probably be the same.

I agree with everyone above and do wipe mine down as well.... It helps but doesn't cure it 100%. The frame tug is also needed at times.

Members online

No members online now.
Back