Doing my heater core at work tomorrow, need advice or a writeup.

stormfinder

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, im doing my heater core at work tomorrow, and i am being given 6.9 hours to replace it in.

I need to know if there is a writeup to doing it, and whether the whole dash needs pulled or what.

Thanks

Look at the blend door actuator replacement instructions. It's directly underneath the blend door actuator. Once ithe BDA is removed, it's like 4 more small bolts, but you also need to pull the dash back further than if you were only doing the BDA.

The first time I did the heater core in a Mark VIII, I did the BDA at the same time, and it only took me 4 hours. The second time was about the same, but I had to stop half way and get a different heater core. The one I had was suspect, and didn't look like it was going to hold up very long.

The hardest part is the spring clamps on the heater hoses going into and out of the heater core. The prongs that you need to squeeze to loosen them are pointed downward, and very hard to get to. I use a set of 45-degree 12"-long needle nose pliers, but it still sucks.

The hardest part is the spring clamps on the heater hoses going into and out of the heater core. The prongs that you need to squeeze to loosen them are pointed downward, and very hard to get to. I use a set of 45-degree 12"-long needle nose pliers, but it still sucks.

This is your friend....

SXT_3720.jpg

SXT_3720.jpg

Holy crap, that looks amazing!

Does the head of it articulate at all? Hard to tell from the picture. What's it called? Have you used one before?

Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers.

I have used them before but for some unknown reason in the universe, I do not own one.

You will spend about $35 on a decent one on amazon or sears might have one as well. Anyone who attempts a thermostat on a Mark VIII would benefit from this.

Link for the LAZY

Sawzall to the dash. Cuts down the install time tremendously!

If you're going through the dash to get to the valve cover gaskets you MIGHT want to re-think your strategy.
Jus' sayin'.....

:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back