Does anyone know a trick

ssmoparviii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well the funny noise under my hood is the water pump. So I am in the process of pulling it out. All 4 bolts are out but I cant seem to get the pump its self out. Does anyone know any tricks to getting it out? Ive been shaking and pulling it and it does not seem to come loose. Plessssse help me!!!

Since the pump is bad, tap on it with a hammer or get a long flat head and get on the back side of the pulley and tap it out. It has a rubber seal all the way around it and it's just stuck. Once it pops loose, it will come on out. If you can find a place to pry on it without damaging anything on the engine itself, that's all it needs. Just a slight pry to pop it loose or keep tapping it until it pops loose.

Thanks for the advice... I was thinking along the same lines but did not know. I also thought that after 17 years it just did not want to leave its home. hahaha

lol, it'll pop out. It's just the seal is set, that's all. Once it pops loose, you'll see just how far that thing really is in there. It amazed me when I got mine out one time. My first time seeing a water pump like that before but it's an easy swap. Lube the seal before reinstalling and make sure the seal stays seated and the rest is all simple.

I was quite amazed how straight forward of a replacement it is. I was way happy that all the accessories don't hang off the water pump... Sorta nice.

Ya this sounded like something was being killed under the hood. And on that note... The pump is out and FREE!!! hahaha

look at the 99 cobra pump as a replacement..

just make sure the pump the give you is the same height as your old one
lay them impeller down on the counter and verify

the improved pump wont have the exposed impeller fins on the back.
it will have a plate covering the fins.

I was quite amazed how straight forward of a replacement it is. I was way happy that all the accessories don't hang off the water pump... Sorta nice.

good stuff huh?
not even a hose connection either, def one of fords better ideas compared to earlier years..(damn 5 liters hung everything off the waterpump)

Something like this.

85-79-79097.jpg

Is it a better flowing pump?

thanks glen!

that is the upgraded impeller design

you da'man!

p.s. sealy ran street stock and jackpot yesterday, brassington went..lost round 1 of both

Is it a better flowing pump?

better flowing, and less drag and reduced electrolysis caused by cavitation at high rpms.

in short, much better

put a 160 thermostat in at the same time and your next post will be
WTF TEMP GUAGE LOW????

look inside the hole the water pump came out off.
look between 10 oclock and 2 oclock.
do you notice it "looks different"?

that it where you see the cavitation/electrolysis evidence

thanks glen!

that is the upgraded impeller design

you da'man!

p.s. sealy ran street stock and jackpot yesterday, brassington went..lost round 1 of both

Do you think I can run a 600 hp (at the wheels) car on street tires?
Would love to take the car out there.

let me drive it first...lol

it aint gonna stick, its a barge with a rocket moter.

becareful /that thing glen..

i wanna check it out before you wad it up.

Damn wish I would have know all this before I put it in. I bought the pump and put it in just after I got the old one out. Well any advice for when I do a radiator besides putting in a 160 thermostat?

Hey, I just replace my pump this morning as well. Wished I knew about the 99 Cobra pump as well. I was having the same problem with mine getting it out and noticed the pry tabs Ford puts on there and after wrestling with it and prying, I finally realized I had removed the timing chain cover bolt instead the bottom water pump bolt. Doah. Anyways not to hijack your thread, but I got the new back and burped it and am still overheating. I put the funnel in it and ran it for a long time and I think that the air should be out. I replace the thermostat 2 weeks ago because the temp was swinging back and forth (almost pegged and then back down to normal 1/3rd way up) and its doesn't hardly want to warm up so I figuared the t-stat was sticking. Replacing it sucked and I don't want to replace it again, but think it the new one maybe stuck closed or maybe has something keeping it from opening. The lower hose on the driver side of the car is cold (41 degrees, ambient temp) and the temp gauge is pegged. The fan wasn't running like I thought it should but it was running full speed after I drove it a few block and back to see if moving air through the rad would cool it down, and it doesn't. But when I got back I noticed the fan was running and felt the warm air (because I was freaking cold) and when I stuck my hand lower I noticed the air was cold. It prompted me to remove the fan and feel the radiator. It super hot up top and ice cold just a few inches down and the gauge is pegged. The hose coming from the bottom of the crossover that goes to the thermostat housing is warm but the hose on the bottom of the tstat is cold. I can only assume the thermostat is blocking the flow maybe due to air, but it there a trick I should be doing?

The hose coming from the bottom of the crossover that goes to the thermostat housing is warm but the hose on the bottom of the tstat is cold. I can only assume the thermostat is blocking the flow maybe due to air, but it there a trick I should be doing?

Almost sounds like the T-Stat is in upside down or you bought the brand that marks don't like. I forgot the name but someone will know it.

I just read another thread about the Murry that Oreilys sell is bad. Guess I am headed to town for a Stant

I would put a motorcraft in there, but I can't get one on Sunday. Just got the stant. I'll report back later.

Stant is who makes them for most of the auto manufacturers as far as I know so you should be safe with them. So like posted back a few responses about putting in a 160 degree t-stat what brand would I go with?

Would you guys recommend (I'm in MIAMI) taking off the thermostat? I don't really need the car to run warmer at any time. The coldest it's gotten around here was 2 weeks ago for the first time in 32 years, It was 33 degrees & it doesnt look like it'll happen again in decades. Do I really need it?

Members online

No members online now.
Back