DLF's subframe bushings test fit

driller

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was asked by Doug to test fit his new UHMW sub-frame bushings since I had bought a set and just so happened to have a spare rear sub-frame laying around, I agreed to test fit the bushings to confirm the fit.

So I arrived at the undisclosed secret test facility which has hosted much of the prior work on the Blue Flame. I took the fork lift and recovered the donor subframe from safe storage.

mini-DSC02659.jpg

Unwrapping the time capsule revealed a near pristine rear subframe complete rotor to rotor.

mini-DSC02660.jpg

mini-DSC02661.jpg

Here is a pic of the OEM rear rubber subframe bushing.

mini-DSC02663.jpg

Doug graciously loaned me his removal tool which is a bridge type puller which you use to remove the rubber bushing from the subframe.

mini-DSC02664.jpg

Once the rubber bushing is removed you are left with the opening in the subframe ready for the new bushing.

mini-DSC02665.jpg

mini-DSC02666.jpg

The upper part of the new bushing...

mini-DSC02668.jpg

mini-DSC02676.jpg

... and the lower half...

mini-DSC02671.jpg

mini-DSC02672.jpg

mini-DSC02677.jpg

Note the small gap between the two halves which will allow a slight compression when installed.

mini-DSC02678.jpg

Now on to the front mount. Here again the removal tool is installed to remove the stock rubber bushing.

mini-DSC02680.jpg

Wala, the bushing has been extricated.

mini-DSC02681.jpg

The bottom half of the new UHMW bushing in place...

mini-DSC02683.jpg

Once again notice the slight gap when installed.

mini-DSC02686.jpg

And the upper half of the bushing in place...

mini-DSC02687.jpg

Repeat for the other side and you are ready to bolt the subframe back into place. ;)

Thanks to DLF for his time and effort to make these replacement parts available. You can see his parts for sale in the parts for sale forum. ;)

Last edited:
So you have to drop the IRS to install?

Yes.

However, if you still have air bags, it's quite simple (assuming that you can get the bolts out). Disconnect the driveshaft, the ABS sensors, deflate/detach the air bags, and drop it down.

A little more complicated in a car with springs, as the springs have to be removed and later re-installed, and to do that, you have to remove the half-shaft nuts and press the half-shafts out of the knuckles a bit to be able to drop the LCA's down far enough to remove the springs.

dont know how far im gonna go with this markviii - a 98 lsc is tempting the :q:q:q:q out of me right now. Gen I is too Ugly!

Do you know if they make sub frame bushings for the LS i need to replace the end bracket that has cracked..just a question

That bushing removal tool looks just like the tool I used to remove the rubber cone suspension in my old austin mini before I switched it over to springs.

DSC05483.jpg

DSC05469.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back