DIY Transmission Full Fluid Exchange (Flush)

Just recently had my transmission drained and refilled..and I must say that a large percent of the issues I was having was simply due to the fact that the fluid was low. (confused shifting points..hard shift from R to D) Car has 192,000 but tranny was replaced at 137,000. After proper fluid change and filter addition..no issues with transmission. Didn't even know the transmission was replaced until I checked the service background and was advised by a local Lincoln dealer. Changing fluids and being mindful of when its needed is so optimal with the LS. This car is like a nagging wife who wants to live in your wallet..but hey, we signed up for it. As long as its happy...so am I.

Just recently had my transmission drained and refilled..and I must say that a large percent of the issues I was having was simply due to the fact that the fluid was low. (confused shifting points..hard shift from R to D) Car has 192,000 but tranny was replaced at 137,000. After proper fluid change and filter addition..no issues with transmission. Didn't even know the transmission was replaced until I checked the service background and was advised by a local Lincoln dealer. Changing fluids and being mindful of when its needed is so optimal with the LS. This car is like a nagging wife who wants to live in your wallet..but hey, we signed up for it. As long as its happy...so am I.

its most likely overfilled my transmission shifts better too if i overfill it by about 1 litre if you get it back to the recommended level it will go back to harsh shifts very strange

i was having same problems even after replacing solenoid pack after a few months i opened the check fill plug nothing came out so i added 1 litre of fluid shifts seem much better right away after about a week i opened the check level plug and all of the fluid i put in came back out it was overfilled so i guess it was at the correct level before and now that its back to the correct level i have failing solenoid pack symptoms once again

i dont think a drain and fill will fix problems like harsh shifting what makes you think your transmission fluid was low? do you have a leak?

There is a fill plug on the back of the transmission, too.
Ford got rid of that one because people (including dealer techs) were filling the transmission 'til the fluid reached the hole, which put it about a gallon over capacity. I don't know when it was eliminated, but I know that my '06 doesn't have it.

i... after about a week i opened the check level plug and all of the fluid i put in came back out it was overfilled so i guess it was at the correct level before and now that its back to the correct level i have failing solenoid pack symptoms once again...

Just checking... When you pulled the plug out, the engine and transmission were warmed up? The car was level? The engine was running and the transmission had very recently been shifted through all the gears (pausing a few seconds at each one)?

Just checking... When you pulled the plug out, the engine and transmission were warmed up? The car was level? The engine was running and the transmission had very recently been shifted through all the gears (pausing a few seconds at each one)?

i drove the car around for 20 mins before checking and i went through all gears twice i paused for about 2 seconds at each one including neutral

this is the way i check http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...riveway&highlight=checking+transmission+fluid same way m4rk checked his

Ford got rid of that one because people (including dealer techs) were filling the transmission 'til the fluid reached the hole, which put it about a gallon over capacity. I don't know when it was eliminated, but I know that my '06 doesn't have it.

That must be one of the 2006-only updates, as it is there on my 2005. Good information; thanks SoonerLS!

Luxury car Linc LS Transmission Service

My lord !!! .. Remove this, remove that, loosen this, loosen that, remove this, remove that,
replace this and push this out of the way then remove this some more ... R U Fn Kiddin' me?!?!

View attachment 828464540

Thank God in the LS we just pop the trunk and there it is!

Take LS to Lincoln dealer.
Drop off car for fluid change, filter change, solenoid replacement.
Courtesy car takes me to nearby bar.
Order picture of draft beer.
Play 3 games of pool.
Eat burger/fries.
Dealer calls cell phone, car ready.
Courtesy car picks me up, return to dealership.
Pay for service. Receipt in glove box.
Return home!

So I would keep starting and stopping my car until I see good tranny fluid? or leave it running and keep on pumping?

So I would keep starting and stopping my car until I see good tranny fluid? or leave it running and keep on pumping?

It's really best and safest to just hook it up to the fluid exchange machine and take all the guessing out of it. It (transmission fluid change) has to be done very rarely and quickly gets very expensive if done wrong. Just pay the extra $ for the two or three times that you will ever have to do it.

m4rk hasn't been on line or doesn't care to respond hasn't responded to any of my questions

joegr "It's really best and safest to just hook it up to the fluid exchange machine and take all the guessing out of it. It (transmission fluid change) has to be done very rarely and quickly gets very expensive if done wrong. Just pay the extra $ for the two or three times that you will ever have to do it."

this is true if i had paid the dealer to do it the first time i wouldn't be dealing with replacing another solenoid pack but i now have more experience and feel more confident

My garage isn't set-up for ALL repairs/maintenance. The basic engine stuff is mine. But, I prefer having paid professionals service my transmission. I know because it is a Lincoln LS, the tranny fluid service is twice the price. But so are the Mercedes and BMW's.

About the lack of dipstick. The I/O's on my boat don't have engine oil drain plugs. The used oil is sucked out through the fill tube. The reason? The engineer surely could have designed a positive drainage system. But it is probably to keep people from draining their oil into bay/lake. The written procedure works fine.

The engineer is designing the systems to work within the complex constraints of space and other components. Sometimes, the best solution is to work at it from an alternate perspective. There are clear procedures for performing the work. And, it's easily done if you have the proper equipment and garage set-up.

Transmission was replaced 60k ago before I got it..not sure if correct level was not put in, but it was definitely low. After drain and flush no hard shifting..only frustration that I have is that disconnecting the battery to "relearn" the car gives the smoothest shifting for about 24 hours..then car goes back to its "sometimey" confused behavior when shifting. Not hard shifting..there is a difference..just hesitation and of course the delay on torque at traffic lights..I'm thinking that maybe a PCM flash for this 00 might be in order...what do you guys think??

Definitely start and stop. I did it 1QT at a time. It pumps the fluid FAST, you definitely wouldn't be able to keep up and refill it at an equal rate.

m4rk hasn't been on line or doesn't care to respond hasn't responded to any of my questions

What questions?

only frustration that I have is that disconnecting the battery to "relearn" the car gives the smoothest shifting for about 24 hours..then car goes back to its "sometimey" confused behavior when shifting.

same problem i have but mine slams into reverse and drive and doesnt shift right when driving i got the pcm flash done at the dealer waste of money did not fix the problem but I've never had torque delay so i dont know if a pcm flash will fix your problem or not

Definitely start and stop. I did it 1QT at a time. It pumps the fluid FAST, you definitely wouldn't be able to keep up and refill it at an equal rate.

What questions?

on the 1st page i asked a couple questions its alight i got my answers

same problem i have but mine slams into reverse and drive and doesnt shift right when driving i got the pcm flash done at the dealer waste of money did not fix the problem but I've never had torque delay so i dont know if a pcm flash will fix your problem or not

Your issue sounds like the classic symptoms of a bad solenoid assembly. That has to be adding stress to the rest of the transmission.

Transmission was replaced 60k ago before I got it..not sure if correct level was not put in, but it was definitely low. After drain and flush no hard shifting..only frustration that I have is that disconnecting the battery to "relearn" the car gives the smoothest shifting for about 24 hours..then car goes back to its "sometimey" confused behavior when shifting. Not hard shifting..there is a difference..just hesitation and of course the delay on torque at traffic lights..I'm thinking that maybe a PCM flash for this 00 might be in order...what do you guys think??

The transmission "learns" shift pressures based on your driving input. You can "confuse" the pcm by driving like a grandma one week and a drag racer the next.

IMG_4381.jpg

picture of the fill plug

IMG_4381.jpg

on the 1st page i asked a couple questions its alight i got my answers

Sorry - I am not sure why I overlooked them. Nice rust-free LS.

If you already had all the fluid changed, I wouldn't bother doing it again.

It's really best and safest to just hook it up to the fluid exchange machine and take all the guessing out of it. It (transmission fluid change) has to be done very rarely and quickly gets very expensive if done wrong. Just pay the extra $ for the two or three times that you will ever have to do it.

how does the fluid exchange machine that the dealerships have work exactly?

vacuums fluid from cooler hose and pumps new fluid back in?

how does the fluid exchange machine that the dealerships have work exactly?

vacuums fluid from cooler hose and pumps new fluid back in?

Attaches to the cooler lines and lets the transmission pump out/in the new fluid.

Members online

Back