Dismal fuel economy - 19 mpg average on freeway

Just go to autozone and have them scan it for free.

Will the Autozone scan give me the information I need? Like I mentioned earlier, I get no Check Engine Light so what I need is a scanner that spits out a graph or output numbers for each sensor in the engine management system.

Disengage the parking brake?
The car disengages the parking brakes automatically when the shift lever is moved. Also, I always make sure to engage the parking hard enough that the car would not be able to move on it's own. This has prevented me from being able to take off on vehicles that don't have the automatic parking brake disengage feature.

I believe the problem is almost without a doubt related to engine management. The only symptoms experienced are the following.

1. Very poor fuel economy especially on the hwy

2. Miss fire on 1 or 2 cylinders upon cold start up. This has only happened 3 times during a year period.

3. Extreme engine bogging experienced when going up a very steep hill at about 35 mph, low rpms and heavy throttle. The bogging only lasts for several seconds followed by a burst of power. Note: The burst of power is not due to the transmission downshifting.

4. Lack of low RPM power. Engine does not have enough power to burn rubber unless I stomp on it and turn at the same time. However, engine has good power at high rpm's.

Should I be changing the spark plug boot covers? I'm still running the originals.

Ummm yeah! You actually should change the entire
Coils as part of P.M.C.S...and how old is the fuel filter?

The boot is rubber, which gets old,
And dry rotted, or oil soaked if your VC plug well seals fail.. Which then lets part of the arc go directly to the head inside of down the channel to the plugs electrode

Pull the coils off and check them thoroughly, there should be NO cracks.. If you notice a crack, I'll bet it's got a slight grey/white dust in and around it...thats where you're loosing spark

You can have a code and no CE.
My guess is a plugged cat.

If it is..... soon you will have a failed head gasket.

You can have a code and no CE.
My guess is a plugged cat.

If it is..... soon you will have a failed head gasket.

Thanks, I didn't know it could have a code and no Check Engine light. Next time I'm at Autozone, I'll rent their code scanner and see if any codes come up.

Regarding the possibility of a plugged cat, I've got a Super Sawzall that can take of that. However, I would think one of the symptoms of a plugged cat would be lack of power at high rpm's.

Buy all new boots/inspect sp wells. Def sounds coil/plug related....

Sell it and buy a Nissan Cube.

LOL!! Won't be driving any Nissan Cube, Honda CRV, Subaru Tribeca or Kia Soul even if they were given to me. They should be given to Davesfarm to be driven off a cliff.

sell it and get one of these
my-new-Smart-Car.jpg

then go to uhaul and get one of these installed
reese_hitch.jpg

I am experiencing very similar problems. I average at any given time 16 mpg. I am running 4.30's and just chalked it up to that but I too wouldn't light em up unless I was turning which I knew wasn't right with 4.30's. This condition was cured when I chopped off the third cat and installed a double x pipe. I've been wondering ever since if my other two cats could be bad too. I didn't experience any better mileage with the double x though.

Members online

Back