dash cams in LS

Dash Cams.

Guys, it goes without saying they are a valuable tool in the event of incidents.

However, this one here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W2jw863ms8

has hit me close to home, very close to home.

http://youtu.be/Ce9lF_9m7yQ
^ Watch on Youtube, embedding disabled by request.

That highway you see in the clip goes on for two days worth of driving lanes like that. The back woods of Canada heading West.

I've done those trips out West to Canada and back many of times and all I can tell you, winter snow packed road condition, two lanes like that, it's some serious white knuckle driving my friends. One morning I got back behind the wheel early, after an overnight blizzard, roads were not plowed properly just yet. it was intense! I had a wide load oncoming, reduced even more speed but there was just enough room on bot sides to literally swap mirrors as we passed. difficult to see the edge of the road and with rigs like this you don't want to go and try and find the edge to quickly as it will simply pull you in, in a blink of an eye!

I've never owned a Dash cam but it's about high time noon I soon do!

Dash cams can be a life saver as well as good information for insurance companies & officials.
The oncoming driver in the above video was later on identified, found and they threw the book at him.

He never stopped, the slow-plow salt shaker never stopped nor reported anything either.

could have ended much much worse, instead 25K damage to the dash cam rig, insurance collected on the offending driver.

scary stuff, all captured on the life saving Dash Cams. I need to get one myself, I'm currently not an over the road driver but will be again soon.
Since late fall last year, I've been employed as a Commercial Motor Vehicle Instructor at a local Truck Training School but it's coming to an end, by end of next month.

~ Must get Dash Cam!

The amount of security you feel with it is amazing. I am never afraid of trying to prove to insurance/police what actually happened again.

I know, I've had a few oncoming 4 wheelers pulling back in, just in time before collision.
Way to close, causing me to ride the dirt and lean hard on the Flintstones peddle.

Definitely getting myself a dash cam when I go back out.

Another alternative.

One of these with 4 small/wide angle cameras or the 4 of the ones you posted. 24 hour recording

http://dash-camera.com/shop/camera-....html?osCsid=500695d464c65031c539e3fbb231d29e

yeah the problems that i would foresee with the dvr's is that they cost a bit much, and are really expensive when it comes to higher resolutions... not to mention the fact theyre not designed to handle the potentially harsh environs of a car. the dashcams will go 1080P with good and smooth frame rates inexpensively but the dvrs under $1000 will cut the resolution or frames significantly. also the dvr might not hold up to the abuses of being in a car in terms of summer heat, winter cold, high humidity, and wear and tear from driving over potholes and such.

alternatively there are lots of cheap android phones that you can buy either used or in the form of no contract phones that can support sdhc cards(32gb max) most can do fluid 720P with good frame rates but the problem you run into then is that theyre not inconspicuous without significant mods and also the power draw will be a question mark. rooting the phone is probably a requirement to lessen the battery draw.

like i said im probably 6 months, maybe a yr out from a nice, cheap, future-proofed setup. all they need is a hardware upgrade to a few of those low cost cams to support sdxc and the only question mark then will be the build quality and longevity of the unit itself bc a 128gb sdxc cards could reasonably record a week (or so) worth of 24/7 footage before the card even needed to be changed..

They are mobile dvr, meant for cars. They offer 3, one of them supports up to 128gb and dual cards.

Why do you want something that can record for a week and then change the card? They run on a loop, deleting old footage once the card is full, plus most have the motion detection when in parking mode that wont record unless it detects motions and will save you a lot of space, they would record like a minute before and after motion only. One thing I would suggest for the future when you build your setup, it would be useful to have a back up sd card in the car, something happens and you just swap out cards. Most wont delete accident/emergency events but you might take it out of the car for viewing and forget it at home, it happened to me, and that way you wont be driving with a dash cam without a card.

They are mobile dvr, meant for cars. They offer 3, one of them supports up to 128gb and dual cards.

Why do you want something that can record for a week and then change the card? They run on a loop, deleting old footage once the card is full, plus most have the motion detection when in parking mode that wont record unless it detects motions and will save you a lot of space, they would record like a minute before and after motion only. One thing I would suggest for the future when you build your setup, it would be useful to have a back up sd card in the car, something happens and you just swap out cards. Most wont delete accident/emergency events but you might take it out of the car for viewing and forget it at home, it happened to me, and that way you wont be driving with a dash cam without a card.

oh ok, i just glanced at the dvr.. resolution scared me off. that might be a really solid option for someone.

i want the lenghty recording times for a few reasons.. i have a condo in a downtown urban area, i gotta share the garage with some sloppy drunk neighbors and also people working at the skyscrapers across the street who flat out cannot park a car. since its a walkable urban area its pretty easy for me to go 3-4 days without having to drive anywhere even when im here. also have some other real estate and occasionally just leave a car in that garage when im not there.. i was contemplating leaving an sl600 down there, happy im leaving a rebuilt LS down there instead. still pissed the guy hit my fckin brand new ls bumper that i drove 400 miles to get tho. he has marks all over his junk taurus that match the mark on my bumper, and they appeared right after he hit me. guy was lying right thru his teeth when i confronted him about it. he clipped it pretty fckin hard.. i couldnt imagine hittin someone hard enough to break plastic and not leaving a note but without proof i guess it is what it is

i got a bunch of 32gb cards, i didnt think, but i shoulda posted the link for ya. they were pretty cheap at amazon like two days before i posted that hack vid. 32 gb samsung class 10s for like 17 dollars, reportedly overclocked too

Members online

Back