dash cams in LS

jrand

Banned
Reaction score
searched and didnt see any recent threads on dash cams. 4 incidents in the past yr have me wanting dashcams. i am thinking one facing fwd, one facing backward should do the trick. I think this is what im going to go with: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPHXv8Hzj8

anyone running dashcams have any input/advice/experience ? i believe i want to run the motion detection and permanent power but not sure how that will play out battery-wise with one let alone 2 cams

2hit-skips (one driving, one parked), an unauthorized search, and an interaction with police (speeding) in a yr... i honestly would have saved about a grand if i had one before now.

I have driven taxis so I know they can be had with both ways in the same unit. However, they can be bulky and expensive not to mention real eyesores. 2 tiny ones like you show may work with tapping into the vanity mirrors or for just the illegal search coverage the interior lighting.

I think all the members who have them have blocked you by this point...

your attempt to be a smart a s s on the internet is why there are only 10 posts a day here and only 3 or 4 are helpful. for starters, you didnt even read the last post. clearly, robot has not blocked me AND has run a dashcam. this place is going down the tubes bc of people like you grell. people who have 4000+ posts and less than 1/4 are even helpful or even inciting others to make meaningful posts. and jjuncool is right there with ya "+1 buddy!! haha!! yeah!! we BLOCKED you!!! we are happy not to talk about inexpensive and useful products for cars here on OUR forum!!"... until two months later when he reposts dashcam deals every month like he did with the advance auto coupons i posted two yrs ago... i bet your next post is going to be "-1".

... all bc i proved joegr wrong and made him cry 2 yrs ago. wah i dont wanna talk about highly wated $90 dashcams bc that guy quoted the owners manual 2 years ago, joegr called 'bs', and then jrand posted screen shots pwoving joegr wong. i wuv joegr he is always wight no mattuh what! even when hes wong!

Andrizzle and I have the blackvue. He made a thread about it but I didn't.

I like it and its small, I put mine right in front, or behind I guess, the rear view mirror to where the passengers cannot see it so it is not an eye sore in my ls. I have been planning to get another one for the rear but it will be harder to find a good spot where it cannot be seen. I was thinking about right below the rear brake light, inside the liner so its hidden.

http://www.blackvue.com.sg/

awww he's upset... Here's a tissue for your issue.

..did you just third person yourself?

bet that was loud as hell.... We need more videos (from the outside of the HULK!!! :D)

I think before a dash cam is installed, or maybe it's after, you must complete the drive cycle.......

I guess that's the gist, I don't see the original post....

^ Another POWERFUL contribution by the Queen G of LVC.
smiley-score001.gif

awww he's upset... Here's a tissue for your issue.

..did you just third person yourself?

another worthless, unfunny, unoriginal post, thanks. i figured out who you are... you are 'that guy' who almost won 'class clown' in highschool and have been sour about it ever since.

alax do you run the motion sensor/g sensor on the blackvue? if so is it useful?

I think before a dash cam is installed, or maybe it's after, you must complete the drive cycle.......

I guess that's the gist, I don't see the original post....

thats right! if you hardwire your camera and disconnect the battery in order to do it, it will be helpful to complete a drive cycle! they say you cant teach an old dog new tricks, but you give us all hope little buddy!

another worthless, unfunny, unoriginal post, thanks. i figured out who you are... you are 'that guy' who almost won 'class clown' in highschool and have been sour about it ever since.

alax do you run the motion sensor/g sensor on the blackvue? if so is it useful?

I would at the beginning because I was paranoid when I finally got my ls back from the shop pre-turbo and after turbo, but once I started driving her again, a few weeks in I stopped using it. I had this elaborate system planned out. I was going to get a dash cam that had an option to receive input from another camera, it would be front and rear. Then I would install another camera inside the passenger side pillar looking at the driver and out the window for when and if I get pulled over. All these also hooked up for parking mode with their own battery to run them for hours without discharging my main battery. I never got enough funds while planning this to go through with it so I just bought the front one. I do want to get a rear eventually but I don't know about adding the one pointed to the driver side, but I don't know how much I would use parking mode either way.

I did have another idea if I really wanted to keep an eye out while my car was parked. I would have 1 viewing the front, 1 the rear, and 2 viewing the sides. The sides would be mounted probably in the molding next to the front seats just looking across the car to the outside. You would pretty much have eyes 360 around the car when you're away so you can see if any car or person hit your cars, tries to break in ect. I would also put the memory cards in a hidden location and not in the camera, using those memory card wire extensions, they have wires coming out from the a card that goes into the camera but the actual card goes on the other end where the card slot is. I would run it behind the dash so if someone breaks in to steal my radio or whatever, they can't just snatch up the camera with the evidence since the cards are elsewhere.

I would at the beginning because I was paranoid when I finally got my ls back from the shop pre-turbo and after turbo, but once I started driving her again, a few weeks in I stopped using it. I had this elaborate system planned out. I was going to get a dash cam that had an option to receive input from another camera, it would be front and rear. Then I would install another camera inside the passenger side pillar looking at the driver and out the window for when and if I get pulled over. All these also hooked up for parking mode with their own battery to run them for hours without discharging my main battery. I never got enough funds while planning this to go through with it so I just bought the front one. I do want to get a rear eventually but I don't know about adding the one pointed to the driver side, but I don't know how much I would use parking mode either way.

I did have another idea if I really wanted to keep an eye out while my car was parked. I would have 1 viewing the front, 1 the rear, and 2 viewing the sides. The sides would be mounted probably in the molding next to the front seats just looking across the car to the outside. You would pretty much have eyes 360 around the car when you're away so you can see if any car or person hit your cars, tries to break in ect. I would also put the memory cards in a hidden location and not in the camera, using those memory card wire extensions, they have wires coming out from the a card that goes into the camera but the actual card goes on the other end where the card slot is. I would run it behind the dash so if someone breaks in to steal my radio or whatever, they can't just snatch up the camera with the evidence since the cards are elsewhere.

yeah i thought along the same lines with the 4 cam, extra battery, 360 monitoring. the problems in that setup are cost as you mentioned, and also that most of the cameras will fill the largest capacity sd cards that they can support in like 4.5 hrs at 1080P... and then even with the idea you had with the cable-converters to hide the sd card, you still run the risk of a masked person walking up to the car and doing the old smash n grab for just the cameras ($400+ depending on the cam).

in your case it would probably be cheaper/easier to just insure yourself against door dings and theft.

i think i am going to go along the same lines you went and just go for one dash cam and be done with it. my car has a salvage title so insuring it to that extent is pt-less and the risk of the 4 cam setup is too risky.

The only camera that would be visible would be the front one, and well in my case my dark tint and front windshield tint makes it blend in and hide pretty well. The rear camera would be hidden under the liner by the brake light, I would hope it fits or I'll make it fit, the 2 side cameras would go inside the pillar covers by the seats/ belts, again would require some working to make fit. You only need the little hole for the lenses for the camera to work for the 2 side one so all you would notice would be 2 holes. One could even get re wrap that cover with a fabric that would allow the camera to see through it, or you could put a double sided mirror over the hole, you don't need to have them in plain sight and hanging everywhere, that's a big eye sore and not an option for me.

those are some good ideas.. do you have an affordable source for a 2-way mirror you care to share?
the kicker for me is still the ~4 hr footage loop due to the size of the memory cards though. personally, i have no clue how to get past that. after some limited searching i have read that there is not a good way to use a regular HD through the SD slot. there are a few new cameras coming out with SDXC slots which apparently are expandable up to 2TB but currently the highest rated SDXC cards are only 128gb and roughly $80 range (i didnt really look into the cards at all)

this is informative: http://www.carcamcentral.com/articles/2013-dash-cameras-and-trends

i plan to just get one of the cheap ones in my OP until i can get a good deal on a well reviewed sdxc cam and a couple cards that will last me about 48 hr without switching cards. im guessing 2 yrs for that to be possible and worth it

thanks for the link to the two way.

i think i am waiting for something cheap (under $100), inconspicuous, and effective that also supports the sdxc cards... i really want continuous 1080P monitoring with a minimum loop of 24 hrs. im hoping to spot that in the next 6 mos

saw this today which prompted this post. could make for a good motion detection/hidden cam mod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9qx5fgy8f28

That's a good hack. Nice find.
Would come in very handy if you want to put some in the pillar next to the selt belt.

Members online

No members online now.
Back